Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Happy Turkey Day!

Post by Kellemora »

The subject line says it all!
yogi

Re: Happy Turkey Day!

Post by yogi »

Thank you for your good wishes and may your day be merry as well. Sounds like the wrong holiday, but you get the idea. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had a house full, that's for sure! Great day, but it does get tiring after a bit. Ate till I was stuffed!
Hope you had a great day as well!
yogi

Post by yogi »

It was a fantastic gathering. Some relatives who have not been down here before accepted our invitation. Wife didn't feel up to cooking, plus this celebration is going to continue on into the weekend, so we had the food catered. It was from Dierbergs and surprisingly good. We may never cook on holidays again. LOL
Last edited by yogi on 25 Nov 2018, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
ocelotl

Post by ocelotl »

¿Eh? Hueyxolotl fest is in a month, in Christmas... ¿Are you refering to cooking the bird in our chocolatey sauce we call "mole" (from nahuatl "molli" = sauce)? That was two months ago, for Independence day, along with Nogada Chiles. Anyway happy Pilgrim settlement day to you.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Pilgrim Settlement Day ... I never heard it put that way before but I like the connotations. LOL It's been called Thanksgiving ever since it was invented in 1621, and I guess they were in fact a bunch of pilgrims doing the thanking.

I've lived most of my life off my mom's and my wife's cooking. Several years ago I took up the activity and have been preparing meals for me and my wife ever since. One of the things I learned about Mexican cuisine is the use of chocolate (cocoa) in their sauces. My favorite dish is enchiladas and the chocolate sauce in which they are baked. I've been to many a Mexican restaurant and don't seem to recall any chocolate mole being part of the meal. It's awesome stuff.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I Miss Dierbergs!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Deirbergs is probably the best O'Fallon has to offer as far as groceries go. Even so they don't compare to some of the more ethnic shops I'd go to up north. One of the local chains was called Jewel-Osco and was owned by Albertsons. A year or two before we left they were in the process of up-scaling the shopping experience. I could get fruits there that Dierbergs only offers on rare occasion; star fruit for example. I've not seen papaya at Dierbergs either. Plus, the quality of Deirbergs produce is inconsistent. They sell a lot more organic than other stores I've used, but my opinion of that is the organic offerings are those discarded fruits and vegetables that were not of high enough quality to sell in the non-organic section. Be that all as it may, their in house kitchen and deli pretty much beats anything within my driving range. They are good, but only get about half of my business. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Be glad you have them. There is nothing down south here that even comes close to comparing to a Dierbergs or Schnucks.
Even the Kroger stores down here are nothing like the ones back home either, they are more like an IGA Foodliner, hi hi.

We do as much of our shopping as we can at a store named UGO. They have scaled up considerably a few years ago, but for the most part have maintained their super low prices. Almost everything is half the price Walmart charges and often better quality too. At one time they looked more like an Aldi store, but now, since they took over a Food City store, they look like a normal grocery store. The only thing is, if they can't get it cheap enough to sell for half of anyone else, they may not always have something you want. But they do have a new meat department that beats anyone else around here hands down, but only slightly cheaper for meats.

We do have a large organic food store here named Three Rivers Market, used to shop there all the time. They also moved to a new larger store, and along with the move, their prices went up a wee bit too much.