a bit over the top?

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
pilvikki

a bit over the top?

Post by pilvikki »

so i started to sort out my piles of photos on the computer...

yeah, that'll take a while, there's 8000 of them! :yikes: :yikes:

and a couple of thou on the phone.

oh boy...
yogi

Re: a bit over the top?

Post by yogi »

I think the biggest challenge for me with 8000+ photos would be how to categorize them. It seems each picture could fit into several categories. Good luck with your project. I do not envy you.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

exactly what the problem is!

i've shots with 2-3 kids, so do they go into 'kids', 'squeaki' or....

hell, i have trouble with just filing!
yogi

Post by yogi »

You could sort them by date or occasion. I have a folder of "Moving To MO" pictures, for example. That's both a time frame and a specific subject, broadly stated as it is. I also have a folder for "Snow" pictures. There are several sub-folders dated with the time the snow storms happened. I guess I'm good at generalizing, but have a heck of a time sorting details.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i have 153 folders, some very specific, like Paris 2017. it's "assorted that gets me.

...AND the damned mouse that decided to plop some into other folders. some, i ended up with 423 shots in my CATS file and none of them are. infuriating. means first order of the should be looking to see what exactly is in each folder.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Then again, you could sort them by file name. Digital cameras generally apply some sequential alphanumeric title to each shot. It's very nondescript, but the date of the photo is always part of the meta data (Properties). Thus sorting by file name, or date, will put them all in sequence. It says nothing about the content, but the pictures WILL be in order. The beauty of this is it's randomness. You can jump in anywhere in the list and see what's there. The pictures before and after that random shot will all be related somehow. It won't help you find a specific photo, but it will put all your ducks in a row in short order.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

nope, that would not work as i've lost dozens of pictures due to their having the same number and almost same size. it'd ask what i wanted to do with (last time 80 "similar" shots) and before i'd just say replace, thinking that the fastest way... oops. it was, but that wiped out whatever it was similar to.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was thinking of the 8000 total being put into sequential order. Those which have identical names can be put into a folder onto themselves. The folder can be labeled "Similar" or something clever like that. Some of the lost pictures, if not all, could have been resurrected at the time. Nothing gets deleted even after it's been trashed. There are apps you can use to recover what you think may be lost data.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i thought about that, but then thought... i'm in enough trouble with what i do have. :facepalm: