king of the castle!

What's your story? Tell me and the entire world all about it.
Forum rules
Topics should be about experiences, comments, and observations from our members' personal lives.
pilvikki

king of the castle!

Post by pilvikki »

carcassonne castle. went around the ramparts. once. nothing much else there, if you don't know french. which is odd as their income is from tourists...
yogi

Re: king of the castle!

Post by yogi »

That's one hella big castle. I wonder how long it took them to build it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

a really long time, lol!

here's a bit of its history:

http://www.destination360.com/europe/fr ... arcassonne

although it's not eeexcatly "near the border with spain", and narbonne is closer than toulouse:

https://www.google.fr/maps/@42.9945707, ... 9,9z?hl=en
yogi

Post by yogi »

Took a look at it on Google. That is one HELLA BIG fortress. It's hard to believe nobody was able to break into it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, it did have the moat around it... :lol: :lol:

viollett changed the roof design to those funny elf hats; wonder what they would have looked like....
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, most look similar, but those just look off...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I still am amazed at simple things. Google maps has a 3-D view which I used to explore the estate a bit. It's all very fascinating. All we have here is a few pubs dating back to the last century and the original buggy the first postmaster used to deliver mail in this town. The only thing that was here a thousand years ago is the dirt, which is mostly clay by the way. Not much to explore, really.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i know what you mean. but aren't there pyramids and stuff in the south?

here we literally live history, this house being from the 1400's, some neighbours' earlier, i was told. the church steeple 3 doors down is from 1100's.

yogi

Post by yogi »

From what I understand the first Americans migrated to this continent about 15,000 years ago. For some reason they didn't progress as much as did the Europeans, or they progressed in different ways. In any case there is no heritage or confluence of different cultures to speak of. I guess there were kings in certain places, but no castles. The folks who came here weren't much in to building or culture I guess.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'm thinking they had other priorities and for their life style had to keep moving? so they took their castles with them...

hm... BH it's hard to find anything without the europeans being involved! and no! i did NOT mean the first english, french, german, etc! but thanks for asking/mentioning. over. and over. again!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The way I see it, we in America are the left overs from an overflow of immigrants from Europe. That's roughly 600 years from today to when they first landed. it's hardly enough time in which to build empires. The people here from 15,000 years ago came over the north pole and some just followed the shoreline from Mongolia to Canada. These folks were nomads and very much unlike the Romans and Greeks and Vikings. I do find it fascinating that pyramids were built in central America and in Egypt. I can't imagine how that type of unique structure occurred in two different places separated by thousands of miles of ocean.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, aren't i the birdbrain! i DID find a link, forgot to post it... d'oh. needless to say, can't find it now, but this is an interesting article:

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_t ... &psid=3564

yes, the pyramids are a poses, yes!