Consciousness

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Consciousness

Post by yogi »

Exactly what is consciousness? This is a topic I've pondered about for many years and have littered the content of this website with my thoughts from time to time. People much more brilliant than I have also pondered the question and came to the conclusion that consciousness falls into one of three possible categories: materialism, mind-body dualism, or panpsychism.

Materialism is the line of thought suggesting consciousness is the result of matter, neurons inside our brain. Thus consciousness emanates from matter. Dualism is the notion where consciousness is another and separate part of the individual. We are all familiar with the concept of the soul, and that is classic dualism. Panpsychism is the idea expressed by the likes of Bhuddists wherein it is believed we are at one with the universe. The universe is consciousness and we are part of it.

The linked article gives some of the latest thinking about panpsychism and might give you a conscious headache if you tried to read and understand it. To me it's interesting reading and written in terms I can relate to before breakfast and before I've had my consciousness uplifting cup of coffee. I offer it for your perusal just in case you are wondering what the universe is all about ...

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/the-un ... ists-state
pilvikki

Re: Consciousness

Post by pilvikki »

very, very interesting!

i need to take another run at it when i'm less jittery.
yogi

Post by yogi »

They get into quantum physics and the possibility that matter has consciousness built into it. It implies that the climate change deniers might be onto something. If the science behind our changing climate is fake, then the earth itself might have a consciousness wherein it interacts with changes we impose upon it. The heating up of our atmosphere might just be a conscious choice of mother earth and not a cause and effect thing. :eek:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

perhaps our behaviour has made ma earth lose her cool...?

ok, ok, i'll be going now....

:tiptoe:
yogi

Post by yogi »

So it would seem ... :thud: