Google Hmmm....

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Google Hmmm....

Post by Kellemora »

My old computer that is dying a slow death is really dying now.
Can't use it for more than about twenty minutes before it decides to reboot.
I've taken it apart and cleaned it, no dust inside to clog the cooling fins on the CPU.
And yes, a few capacitors are showing signs of swelling, which is the death of any mobo.

But dig this. Google Chromes system of storing log-in data has failed on that computer.
I use the same Google+ linked between all computers now.
But on that computer, it cannot remember my log-in data from one session to another.
And yes I've done and update, upgrade, to the newest version.
"I think it's dead Jim," hi hi...
yogi

Re: Google Hmmm....

Post by yogi »

Heat will cause the processor to do weird things, but so will bad memory and disk failures and power supply glitches. There are ways to check your Google log-in sessions and history. It's in Google settings somewhere. Perhaps the problem isn't Google. I know you like to run your old equipment as long as possible, but you do know those 16-bit processors don't do well in a 64-bit world, right? :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I did run a full diagnostics on it a couple of times. Everything checked out OK.
But then so did the diagnostics on one that had several bad capacitors I discarded.

What's WRONG with my Heathkit 8 bit Octal Entry computer anyhow?, hi hi...
I have a state of the art 5200 Baud telephone handset cradle modem.
And I replaced the paper tape drive with a Sony speed-adjustable audio cassette recorder.
I even upgraded from the Channel 3 video output to a snazzy new CGA monitor.

Oh wait, that computer works fine, it's the new 286 I'm having the most trouble with!

I have been thinking about upgrading to a 386, I hear the new Win3.11 will run on it, hi hi...

I know I'm getting old Yogi, when even younger adults ask me what those flat black vinyl disks in my drawers are for!
yogi

Post by yogi »

It wasn't too many years ago that we dumped the last of our black disks. While most of them worked while rotating at 33 1/3 RPM we had several that worked at 78 RPM. Now, THAT's old!

I ran with Windows 3.11 until Windows 98 SE came along. Then I used only that until Windows 7 came along. I couldn't care less about Microsoft's support cycle. I switched only because I couldn't view YouTube without it freezing up half the time. I still have that laptop with Windows 3.11. I should fire it up some day to see if it still works. I no longer have a dial-up modem for it, but it would be fun to see what it could or could not do.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I probably should have kept a few, but in my collection of old 78s, I had a few gramophone disks recorded only on one side. They were larger than your normal 78s or 33s.
My dad had some old wax cylinders passed down to him, but they fell apart in storage from drying out.

He gave me an old Wire Recorder that he played with, and then later bought me a commercial grade reel to reel. I kept it in good shape and eventually passed it on to my son. Who of course mistreated it until it was only a discard he tossed out.

Many moons ago, the KXOK radio station had a small fire and dumped their old equipment.
I managed to snag the 16 track recorder from them. Trouble is, fire does strange things to anything metal, even when it is not near the actual fire. That thing rusted almost overnight. I cleaned it all up and got it working again, but it truly wasn't all that functional, it just had too many problems before the fire to be much use afterward. But I had fun with it while it lasted.