vivaldi

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
pilvikki

vivaldi

Post by pilvikki »

trying out vivaldi as chrome is a bit hinky. anyone else try it?
tomsk

Re: vivaldi

Post by tomsk »

:think: I like the Four seasons suite.. :mrgreen:
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've heard of it, and it has a good reputation. But I've not tested it out yet. I'm not a big fan of the Chrome family of browsers, but I do happen to have a few. Vivaldi isn't one of the. Let us know what you think after using it a while.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Google Chrome updated when I updated my OS using command line apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, hi hi...
It was horrible. I deleted it and reinstalled version 51, which made a lot of website give me warnings at first.
I also use the March 12, 2015 version of Pepper Flash, because all Flash versions after that are missing important features.
One of the website pages I visit is full of problems and complaints, mostly from Windows 10 users, and the current browser releases.
Yogi will get a kick out of this one!
I was still using CELLO, a text based web browser to do my research web searches on because it was fast and ignored images, it still worked up until about four or five years ago. Not bad for an ancient artifact!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Browsing the web ain't what it used to be. The situation with browsers using Flash is not going to get better. Google and others are trying to motivate developers to get away from Flash, but it's going to be a long battle.

There are browsers that are fast and modern, but the browser is not what is slowing down things. The content, mostly ads, originates on slow servers propagating through crowded networks. No matter how fast the browser can render an ad, it's only going to be as fast as the ad servers. Perhaps even more of a problem than slow servers is memory usage. Browsing has become very complicated and often goes out of control. The memory required to fill a web page with content is often more than what the viewing device has installed in hardware. The number of processes involved with using multiple tabs is staggering. You need a state of the art processor to keep up with them. What I'm suggesting here is that it's not always the browser at fault for slow rendering.

There still are text based browsers out there, and they can be useful depending on what you are looking for in terms of content. I think it is elegant if you can get what you want using a minimal application, but my approach is just the opposite. I want the biggest, fastest, and most memory my multiple processors can handle. In doing that I know the problem is not me but the source of the data.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, i'm still at that stage where i wonder what happened to the page i just had up, lol! the arrangement is a bit different, but thus far i like it.

i'm also trying out bing as google is ridiculous! "you have 254 982 145 781 replies in .000008 seconds. i don't need thousands of computer games/programs/software or hundreds of band names or celebs if i ask for the god of berry picking in transylvania.

so, for a lark i did. and got https://www.google.fr/search?q=god+of+b ... sylvania&*

and trying to use the - ... pointless.

so more later. with the 4 seasons, too . eventually. :grin:
Last edited by pilvikki on 28 Mar 2017, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Using search engines effectively is not as simple as it seems at first thought. My experiences with Bing have never been positive and I would go so far as to recommend against anyone (except Microsoft employees) using it. The problem with all search engines is relevance. It's not easy for them to guess what you really want to see, and Bing is the worst I've ever used in terms of returning relevant results.

Google has made a tremendous effort to return records from their database that are relevant to your search query. In order to accomplish this feat they keep massive records about users of their search engine and other Google products. They know quite a bit about you above and beyond what it is you have searched for in the past and what interests you. But even then matching your history to what you currently want to see is pretty much a guessing game. Adding those modifiers, such as Boolean symbols, quotes, and keys followed by a colon help, but most of the time constructing your query is hit and miss unless you are very familiar with how databases work.

I'd guess your mix of irrelevant results in searching " god of berry picking in transylvania" is the result of Google not being totally successful at guessing what you mean. It shows you what it thinks you mean. One interesting experiment you could perform is to use a search engine that has no profile whatsoever on you. Not having a history of your past could return some surprising results. Check out DuckDuckGo. I input your phrase and got what I think is relevant. Your mileage may vary: https://duckduckgo.com/
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i did try duck before, but i think it was its lack of images that bothered me at the time..

i'll do another run at it.

as for google search, used to be that if you put the search into quotations, that's what you got. now... makes no diff.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know how much of this you already know, but I'll try to explain it anyway.

Putting quotes around your query tells the search engine to look up the exact text between the quotes; all the words, in the given order. As you can see Google did not find what I put into quotes. However, it did make a best guess without quotes. I did not get back what I was looking for because the search engine took all six words and looked for something that had those words but in no particular order. It seemed to favor "berry" in it's results which is a good guess but not the "god" name I wanted.

I can conclude that there is no god of berry picking in Transylvania, but there are gods and their are berries and that's what Google looked up.

I also tried "berry picking god" and "gods of transylvania." The second phrase was close, but no berry picking gods in the record titles.

Using the phrase god+berry+Transylvania was better yet, but no named god appeared in the results. All three words did, however.

Again, it's just more evidence that there is no such thing. I think Google told me what I wanted to know, but in a round about way.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i think the problem MIGHT be that google used to do exactly what you asked for? but NOW they're shifting through stuff taking a stab at what they think you meant. in other words google is sifting the info it has on me and then presenting whatever it thinks i wanted to see.

know what i mean?

otherwise i cannot fathom why it worker 20 or whatever years and now.... :facepalm:
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:lol: :nana: :loveu: :cool:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your observation is correct . Part of the reason for the change is due to Google (and a few others) getting ready for the artificial intelligence revolution. In theory you should be able to ask Google any question in your native tongue and it will provide an answer. Eventually it will even anticipate your questions. Back in the old days it just dumped out everything it knew about the keywords you gave it. The old method, however, had problems trying to determine exactly what you wanted. For example, entering a phrase such as "biting frost" confused it. Were you trying to eat frost? Did you mean frosting on pastry? Were you and Robert Frost having a disagreement? Well no, you were looking for pictures to post here. One of which is this when I do the search ...

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

google has a looong way to go with one's 'native' tongue query...

i usually go pick squeaki up from the bus as she has to log that 8 kg (a ¼ of her weight) backpack and i just can't handle seeing that. i need the walk anyway. so yesterday i waddled down the hill, but was in considerable pain and wanted to ask a neighbour if we'd get a lift back.

so... what did i type into the translator? dur. "can we get a lift with you?"

she started laughing and as i look at the translation, reversed it read "can we get an elevator with you?"

:lmao1:
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's correct for British English. Most translators fail with colloquialisms - even human ones. The latest translators are now capable of learning languages Google did not teach them. They are getting better, but for now we have to deal with the glitches in the language.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i actually paid little attention to various oddities in the english and finnish languages, unless someone pointed it out, but then i started to do google translation verifications. and oh boy! are there ever crazy quirks in them....
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've had actual Google translated conversations with people speaking Spanish. Turns out that there are various flavors (dialects) of Spanish. Mexican isn't Puerto Rican Spanish, for example, and in Peru they don't know what either of those two are talking about.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:badpc: :butt: :barf: :lol:
evening all!
:loveu:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

good evening! what's got yer knickers in a knot?

down at the bottom of france we have occitan, which is some strange version of french nobody but themselves understand. actually, it may not even be french...? the local dialect is a blend of french and occitan and nobody understands them either...

i really (!) picked a prime location, didn't i...
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

:lol:

Hello my precious...I'm ok, I think!...just off for a coffee.. :thumbu: :cool: