Ergonomic Keyboards

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Ergonomic Keyboards

Post by yogi »

If you are a contortionist, maybe ... http://axios.io/models
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Ergonomic Keyboards

Post by Kellemora »

Not like the ones in the link you provided, but I was given an ergonomic keyboard as a Christmas gift from my step-son.
He swore by them for a few years, then went back to normal keyboards.
I never liked mine at all, even after using it for over six months, I went back to straight keyboards too.

On thing I did like was the Denska Chair, if you remember those. They were sorta like a kneeler with a seat, so your weight was distributed to both the seat and the knees. I could sit and work for hours without getting tired or sore.
However, I had to use a normal chair when doing transcription work, so I could work the pedals with the toes of my shoes.
It got ruined during our second flood, so was discarded.

I've never been able to type very well on a laptop or the shallow keyboards.
Having learned to type on manual typewriters, I went through about four portables before I found one with the right feel.
Then when I started using computer keyboards, I was paying dearly for keyboards with a heavier weight spring for the keys. Once I finally found a cheap keyboard with a good weight to the keys, I've been buying them ever since. Fear they may quit making them, the last time I bought a box of six, and I'm down to only one new one left on the shelf. I tend to wear holes in keyboard keys in only a couple years of use.
The same with meeces. I bought a whole case of thumbball meeces, and only have one of those left now too.
I've replace the cherry switches in the older ones a couple of times, and cleaned out the scroll wheel disk a few times.
Don't know what I'll do after the last one finally dies. There is so much that is almost impossible to do with a standard mouse.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I dread loosing my trackball mouse? SO much better for my hand even though it no longer works properly.

keyboards. ugh. just got loki's replaced by nephew, just paid for the part. the spacebar was shot and the . on the num pad was just about toast as well. then... I find out that reason for the & not working was that there was something sticky having been spilt on it - a long time ago. hm... wonder who that was....

I really miss my PS2 keyboard!

:sad:
yogi

Post by yogi »

You might like one of these bad boys :mrgreen:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:loveu:

they're shaped like the old ps2! love it!

too bad I just "wasted" money on the annoying laptop board....
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm perfectly happy with my cheap USB keyboards. They only retailed for like 19.95 each, and by buying them by the case, I got them for 11 bucks each. The key weight is perfect, and it has the optional controls for sound, e-mail, and video playback, maybe record too if I need to use it for that.

Rather than throw away my old keyboards, I used to toss them in a drawer in a desk. The frau saw them and made me throw them all away, some of them still used the old super big keyboard plug, hi hi...

The expensive keyboard like the link you provided, also had replaceable keys, key caps, and a good key weight.
Trouble is, getting new switches or key caps, cost as much as buying a cheap keyboard.

My sister bought me a fairly expensive keyboard that looked sorta like an old manual typewriter, only flatter.
I did try it out for a week before sending it back. As a keyboard it was great, but didn't have the other features I use all the time. I can't remember what I exchanged it for anymore, maybe it was more than one thing. Ah yes, a new DOCsys 3 modem and 8 port gigabit switch.