NaNoWriMo Started Today!

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Re: NaNoWriMo Started Today!

Post by Icey »

Well - I can only say, fingers crossed after all that lot! It DOES sound complicated Gary, but I'm sure that the completed story'll come out well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm am most pleased with how this story, as complex as it is, is finally beginning to take shape.
I'm 2/5ths of the way done already, so am running fairly well ahead now, as far as hitting the 50k mark.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Good man! I sure hope that all your effort'll be worth it!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do like this story, but also know it is taking me away from my main project.
What I intended to be a fairly short-story, extended for NaNo, has already crossed epic proportion, based on the outline I've changed, changed, and rearranged, hi hi...
Just because I like how it is going, doesn't mean Mikey will like it though. Even after another two or three rewrites.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Forget the re-writes! Just go for it in a way which sounds great to you as you're typing it. You'll probably come up with a brilliant story which - if it took your fancy enough - you could probably elongate into a future book.

How long do you have left - a couple of weeks or so?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The way it stands right now, it should be divided into a trilogy.
I have three major scenes, each almost a million years apart, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think you're very brave to tackle such a long story.

The timelines don't matter so much. You could, feasibly, have TEN million years apart, but how much info you put in each one, determines the length of your story on completion.

I couldn't do that - or rather - wouldn't want to make a tale so epic that I lost track of the purpose of the plot. I found that when I read the Tolkien books, way before they were turned into films, they got confusing in part, because so many different characters came into them, and where you had long rambling chapters, it made you forget who was who when previous names cropped up again. When you see it on screen, it all makes more sense, but of course, the movies're never quite the same as the written word, and stuff has to be cut out due to time and money, but they did their best with that particular trilogy and The Hobbit.

Let us know when you've finished your masterpiece!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The story is divided into three segments.
The first segment begins about 65 million years ago but focuses mainly on 3 million years ago.
The second segment about 1 million years ago.
And the final segment about 350,000 years ago.

The characters in each segment are different, and this story could be broken into a trilogy, one book for each era covered.

Although not totally true to geological history. The first segment takes place before all the continents split apart, Pangaea.
The second segment begins when the continents first split apart. As an example, when all lands east of Africa separates.
In the third segment, the land east of Africa, which is the subject land in my story, separates and creates Australia.

This land between Africa and Australia, which no longer exists, is the focal point of the whole story, everything leads to this particular land area. Like Atlantis, this highly developed civilization slips below the waves, a mythological sunken nation.

In my story, the land currently called Africa, is Tarka.
The land to the east, currently called Australia, is Gowana.
The main body of land, the setting for most of my story I call Kanathaka.
The northernmost tip of Kanathaka touches what is known today as India.

In the first part of the story, and again in the last part of the story, a nation north of Africa (Tarka in my story, I named Dwarka, and from it's northwest coast, into the ocean, is where I assume Atlantis to be located.

If you are interested in what gave me the idea for my stories location, do a Google search for "Kumari Kandam."
Here is a Link to the website which prompted me to select this location for my story.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-le ... dam-001941
Icey

Post by Icey »

:clap: Lovely Gary! I like things like that, and your geography's feasible. Good luck with it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I normally do not disclose the true area on planet earth I used. Especially not in the story.
But I do have to have a valid basis to build my story on.
We know quite a bit about Kumari Kandam and a little about Dwarka and even less about Atlantis, other than they were more advanced than they should have been for the time periods they existed.
I studied quite a bit about India, especially those items which are no longer classified as myth, since the artifacts were finally found.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I find it all fascinating as well-like the Vimaras, written in the Vedic text. It really makes you wonder doesn't it?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I realize some of the things you hear about are really putting the stretch to what they really were use for.
In my notes here, I actually have ancient things like Nuclear Reactors, and several other such too far out things to have been true. What they claim as being a Microchip for instance, turned out to be something else entirely. The graphic representation of the irrigation canals of a field for growing crops.
But you cannot discount certain items they found that can easily be duplicated, and they work, like a battery.
This coincides with other things found which prove places like ancient India did in fact have electricity.
It was not used exactly the way we use electricity, they didn't have electric household appliances, hi hi...
But it was used for plating metals, fusing metals, in an age long before we thought metals were used at all.
So some of these finds I do get interested in.

I don't remember without going through mountains of notes, but it seems I found articles about different batteries found in ancient Egypt also. Based on sketches, they assume the batteries were used to quickly ignite flammables, such as oil lamps, torches, etc. No other use for them was discovered, other than to create a white hot spark.

A device touted as a generator was discovered also. All it was was a stone ring coated on one side with wool, and on the other side with resin, and had two connected arms that touched either side, plus handles to turn the ring. A device like this can produce a spark, possibly even a continuous spark, like the magneto on your lawn mower. But here too, no way of storing the charge was found in this same country, which I think was like Mesopotamia region.

Now, if you put this device together with the Egyptian batteries, perhaps this was how they charged up the battery?
But no correlation between the two discoveries was ever made, yet.
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're right. Egypt and places in the middle east are mines of wonderful artifacts and treasures. Too bad that people seem hell bent on destroying these wonderful items.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've seen a lot of valuable artifacts purposely destroyed in many countries.
Sometimes it is out of fear of what the object may mean.
Other times it has to do with religion or politics.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Absolutely. I can't add anything better.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Back to NaNo...

I crossed 40k words on the 16th, so only 10k more to go before I cross the Winners line at 50k.

I'm still a long way from being finished with my story, the way it has spread out and I brought in too much.
Looks like I'll be doing a lot of whittling to it after NaNo is over.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well I think you've done really well to've got so close to the finishing line now, but if you're happy with the story, can't you just elongate it until you feel that you've encaptured everything that you want to - and submit it as a book for publication?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Even after I finish NaNo and the 50k, I still have about 85k to go before I can start editing.
But it is phun to get so much done that it now looks like a real story with promise.

Have a great day!
Icey

Post by Icey »

You as well Gary-and again, best of luck!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thank you Icey!