hitler's bunker

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

hitler's bunker

Post by pilvikki »

heard about that pretty much all my life and always wondered what they meant by it. I was pretty sure it wasn't the same what my father saw during the war, so...? (like the one he jumped into during an air raid - and found himself in a hole, knee deep in water and skeletons, left over from the previous war...)

so, I saw an article on it and here we are:

right.

from here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37797141
yogi

Re: hitler's bunker

Post by yogi »

I'd expect better accommodations for a self-proclaimed a (fuhrer) ruler of the universe. I guess his plan was slightly flawed.
Icey

Post by Icey »

It seems that the above bunker wasn't the only one which Hitler and his henchmen had, so maybe it wasn't too plush because he wasn't expecting to stay in it for very long?
I found this one interesting .....

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ex ... ation-town
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

yes, that was actually much more interesting. I think I saw a movie about the discovery of the eagles' nest, but it could not have been all that thrilling since I don't remember much about it...
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

oh, and this part:
A children’s asthma clinic, situated there to benefit from the clear mountain air, was occupied and turned into a house for Bormann himself.
I could use a "i spit on you!" emoticon here...
yogi

Post by yogi »

The magnitude of what Hitler put into motion is unprecedented in human history. It's hard to believe that an individual's legacy could have a lasting effect spanning so many generations. I would say these monuments reminding us of what evil lurks within should remain in place as a reminder of the sordid roots of mankind. But all one has to do is to look around us and read the headlines to understand that the lessons of the past are not being carried forward into our future.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Wise words, and people never seem to learn, do they? At least, those in power don't. A biblical quotation springs to mind; "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth...."

It makes you wonder.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'm not seeing anything being inherited by the meek. except abuse...
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm thinking "Nice guys finish last"

It's my opinion that Evil has won and is fully in control now.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it seems that way a lot...

but then you run into something nice and go "aaah". not yet!
Icey

Post by Icey »

I disagree. Saying that evil's won's a defeatist attitude. It only seems that way because of the fraught times we live in, but things do, and will, change, however long it takes. Eventually, human nature being what it is, if the world simply consisted of evil-doers, someone, somewhere'd get fed up of it and want to change things - and so it starts all over again.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Things change every second of the day. That's a reality of our universe. It's not a matter of how many people there are doing evil things. Are you, for example, just as evil as was Hitler? As is always the case, it's not the numbers but the quality. The evil which came out of WW II is evidence enough to me that the bad guys (evil) won. We are still trying to recover. Evil has not been subdued nor in my opinion put on parity with good. I'd agree that the number of people hoping for goodness is greater than the ones practicing evil, but those hopeful one's have indeed been defeated. They just don't realize it.
Icey

Post by Icey »

You could be right. I just think the opposite.

Human beings're fighters. We fight to protect our territory, food and our families - just like most animals do. You could have eons of subjugation, for instance, and then folk get fed up of being kept down and start to rebel. I don't believe that evil always wins, but it could take centuries - if at all - before the masses learn to live with, and accept each other in a truly kindly way, so we get smaller pockets of this happening , and people trying to come together to overcome what some refuse to accept.

WW2 was terrible for those who lived under Nazi rule. I can't imagine how anyone survived it, and yet the same atrocities continue to go on in the middle east, and very few try to put an end to it. I don't see the war as a victory for evil though. It thankfully came to an end when countries collaborated, and the immediate Nazi threat was extinguished. Like any indoctrinated principles, these ideas continue to be believed or put into practice by people determined to see them put into practice - whether it's on a small or larger scale. I think this's one of the flaws of the human being. Our "higher" intelligence gives rise to different ways of looking at things, which clash with the thinking of others.

I think there'll be evil AND good in the world for the foreseeable future, because of divides in this thinking. Diplomacy won't work for long, because it's just one group trying to sway another into thinking in the same manner - basically a power struggle.