Nixie Tubes

My special interest is computers. Let's talk geek here.
yogi

Nixie Tubes

Post by yogi »

Do you remember Nixie Tubes? Of course you do. I spent a good portion of my life with Motorola Test Labs using devices that were full of them. Due to the success of LCD's and other display technology, Nixie Tube production ceased many years ago. If you have a curious mind and about 38 spare minutes, you can see how these little gems are being made today. I don't know why they are being made today, but the video is fascinating. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4ElboiuA
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Nixie Tubes

Post by Kellemora »

I had a Lloyd's Calculator that used Nixie Tube. Well, a lot of things did back in the day, but I remember my Lloyd's Calculator because I used it like forever.

Most of today's calculators can not do plus or minus percentages and give you the right answers.
Which is why I held onto the Lloyd's for so many years. It was perfect for my line of work at the time.

Now, off to watch your video.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Nixie Tubes

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, that was interesting to watch Yogi.
Never dreamed anyone would try making a vacuum tube totally by hand, except for making prototypes.
I worked in a Neon Sign shop for a short time. Of course there is nothing to it in comparison to what this guy was making.
I did tour a light bulb manufacturing facility many years ago, but they were done by machine from start to finish, hundreds at a time. Still, it was phun to watch.