pronounciation

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

pronounciation

Post by pilvikki »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edPxKqiptw&app=desktop

I'm half blind from my drops and half a asleep, but just wanted to ask if you guys agree on this being the definitive way to say these words?

seems to me I've heard some of them not conforming to this.

i'll listen tomorrow again.
Icey

Re: pronounciation

Post by Icey »

LOL! I'd say that's pretty much the English pronunciation, except that neither and either's spoken with the "ei" as "ee", in some parts. I pronounce it as "eye".
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I do, too and thought that was actually odd. where in Britain would anyone use the ee?

or was it an American speaking, I can't tell...

:facepalm:
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think he was American, but he did well with the words - probably due to the fact that there's not a huge difference between the way we speak. Our spelling might be different, but pronunciation's pretty much the same. I think we notice it more where words like "missile" and "you're" are used. We pronounce the"ile" as aisle, the Americans say "missle". "You're" always sounds the same as "your", whereas we sound it with a definite difference, but since some English people even get mixed up with "your" and "you're" - what the heck! : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so, how do you say them then?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Your (as in something which's yours) - rhymes with chore, core and door.

You're (abbreviated from "you are") rhymes with pure, cure - but NOT sure! LOL!!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

how about that? I've never noticed! :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

You probably pronounce it in the Canadian/American way, so it's normal for you. I think it's best to differentiate the words though, otherwise some people tend to put the wrong spelling down if they need to write "your" and "you're", and it's one thing which bugs me! LOL.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I doubt it makes any difference, for it's the same people who consistently mix up their and they're and there, too. or to or two. :mrgreen:
Icey

Post by Icey »

They bug me as well!!! : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I do find doing that once in a while. no idea why. I also type and, instead of an an, and a few other mysterious r epeating blunders.
Icey

Post by Icey »

When you type,I suppose it comes down to how quickly the brain translates the words to the fingers, and that's why we might get typos. Some faux pas are going to happen with even the most proficient of typists, but getting the above examples mixed up just makes me think that they didn't learn English Language well enough. : (
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I find it's mostly men who tend to get those all scrambled. probably for not being so interested in language, rather than, say, blowing up rockets...?

:lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Probably. Despite there being some wonderful male authors and poets (the old ones were mostly male - Shakespeare, Dickens, Wordsworth ....) it's known that women take to English better than males do, and that males seem more adapted to the mechanics of maths than us women (generally speaking, this is). The latter's certainly true in my case. : (