Leap of Faith

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Leap of Faith

Post by yogi »

It's insane to jump out of a plane and free fall thousands of feet before you open your 'chute, right? Well what do you call it when you fall 25000 feet without a parachute?

:yikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQKW6qV3fA
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Leap of Faith

Post by Kellemora »

I can just see the look on the peoples faces if he missed that net and landed on the Medic, hi hi...
He's crazy!
Icey

Post by Icey »

In my humble opinion, it WAS a foolhardy thing to do. It sets the precedence now, and others'll try to copy him or beat the record. I can't see the sport being accident-free, but then, no extreme sport is.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There have been a lot of events which no longer appear in the Guinness Book of World Records, because they don't want folks trying such foolhardy stuff anymore. The frau named about four last night, but I don't remember what they were without giving her a jingle on the telephone to remind me.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I know what you mean though Gary. I suppose there's an element of adverse results with all record-breaking sports or competitions, and these days, some've been deemed too dangerous to continue with. An example of this's sword swallowing, having the heaviest pet (deemed as cruel) or drinking or eating vast quantities of something. Not all within those groups're banned, but concern for public safety's reduced or stopped many of the records from being attempted now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I know most food eating contests have been banned due to how food swells and can rupture a persons stomach.
Meaning those food eating contests where volume of food consumed is the purpose.
We still have a couple of local restaurants that offer prizes if you can eat their super colossal size burger within a certain time limit. The size of the burger is more than I could eat in four days, hi hi...

I love Shepard's Pie and this same restaurant carries it. I never eat it there, but get an order to go. I divide it up into four servings and freeze three of them to eat later. I almost can't eat the one fourth division it is so voluminous.

I must have a really small stomach, because even when I was driving OTR, and stopped to eat. If I got pancakes, I could only eat two of them at one sitting. I would wrap the other four up and take with me.
The diners, often other drivers, sitting next to me, would order two or more stacks and woof them all down and order something else to top it off. How folks can eat so much food at once is beyond me. Perhaps that is why there were all grossly overweight?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, that could well be it. An excess of food makes people greedy, and then their stomachs get used to having a lot going into them, and they get fat. Being overweight isn't always because a person eats a lot, but it is in many cases.

Ever seen that Adam somebody- or- other, who made the Man Versus Food programmes? I liked the guy, but his eating habits made me heave.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My late wife had a phrase she used all the time, regarding the amount of food she ate. "I have to eat in bulk to maintain this bulk." Being wheelchair bound she didn't get much in the way of exercise so actually ate very little.

I was on a trip with one of my bosses once. He could eat a seven course dinner and have room for dessert.
He always complained I didn't eat enough. I ate more than double what I usually do while on this trip with him, and he still said I didn't eat enough. I felt like I was going to explode. I finally told him not to plan on me for breakfast or lunch, but I would go with him for a light dinner.

Currently, because I have to take some of my pills with food, I will eat 1 slice of wheat bread without the crust, with a very light dusting of Mayo, almost not enough to see, and one slice of cheese. That's it with my morning pills. At lunch I have 1 slice of some cold cuts, 1 slice of rye bread, normally no topping, and that's lunch.
After breakfast, up in my office, I have a pecan pinwheel half way between breakfast and lunch. In the afternoon I have 4 to 6 Pringles. If I'm overly hungry I may rarely eat two cheese cracker peanut butter squares. Dinner is normally at 4 pm due to my writing schedule with other things I need to get done. I do eat good at dinner, but as I said before. It is usually 1/4th of what a restaurant calls a single serving. I can eat for four days on an entree I buy to bring home from a restaurant.
Even though I don't eat enough to keep a bird alive, I'm still getting a little belly on me, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I don't think you over-eat at all Gary, if that's your daily food quota. Of course, it all depends on how many calories're going in at dinner, and with all the fizzy drinks you have, you're probably taking in far more carbs than you realise.

However, "little belly aside", perhaps you're one of the lucky ones who can basically eat what you like and stay slim. With this type of metabolism, you won't require as much food as larger people might need. It's a bonus to be like that, but obviously you need good, all-round nutritional food so that you don't become ill. It sounds as though you've got it right for your particular body type.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The carbs in my soda is absolute zero. So is everything else for that matter, hi hi...
I do have to watch my sodium intake also, which is the limiting factor on my soda consumption.

I sometimes have to laugh at nutritionists recommendation on how many calories I need per day.
I think it is something like 2000 they recommend.
I don't think I cross 1000 per day very often.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Good grief! That DOES sound a little under-par, because over here, between 2200-2500 calories'd be about right for most men to maintain a healthy body weight. Having said that, I don't think there's a standard amount that everyone'd fit into. You have to take a person's height into consideration and obviously some folk're broader than others. So long as you feel OK - carry on. : )
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I learned a long time ago, there are no two people alike, so no matter what the do-gooders come up with as supposedly the right diet, it will only work that way for a tiny percentage who fit perfectly within the parameters they used.

We have a little mixed breed pooch. Compared to other similar looking dogs, lifting him is like lifting a box of Lead.
The vet keeps telling us he is overweight. He also tells us one of our other dogs about the same size in underweight.
The funny thing is, the lighter dog eats more than three times the amount of food.
Just because a dog looks and weighs like a locomotive instead of a greyhound doesn't mean they are under or over fed.
It's just how they are built.

Other than when I was on a chocolate binge, I've always been lightweight. It had it's benefits! I could run faster than any member of the schools track team, but I wasn't allowed on the track team. Coach had his own set of rules who could and couldn't be on the team. Nevertheless, I would go up there and run around the grassy area outside the track oval, and still beat every one of them around the track, and they were running on the short inside lane, hi hi... I did this just to PO the coach for not letting me on the team.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I totally agree with you. People are people. They don't all fit into the same mould, and nor should they. YOU know how much food you need to fill yourself up and feel OK. Like your 2 dogs, people're no different. You can get two people who weigh the same, but depending on how their mass's distributed, one can look bigger than the other. I was very thin when I was younger, and could eat anything without gaining weight. I was a skinny child, but always healthy. I was never a speed-runner, but I could run long distances without getting out of breath, so was always entered for those type of races at school.

Awww! Fancy not being allowed into the track team!! Oh well. At least YOU knew what you could do, Gary, but it seemed very unfair.