EOD Robot Sets a President

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

EOD Robot Sets a President

Post by yogi »

Explosive ordnance disposal, or EOD, robots have been around for many years, believe it or not. The latest massacre in Dallas, Texas, saw an EOD bot carry explosives to the barricaded suspect and then detonate itself. This gives new meaning to the term suicide bomber and sets a president. While these EOD bots are widely used by law enforcement, the incident in Dallas is the first time it was used to kill somebody. I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ot-to-kill
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: EOD Robot Sets a President

Post by Kellemora »

I've come to the conclusion that ANYTHING in the hands of Government is BAD NEWS, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you Gary, but yes, a robot was deployed to take the killer out.

Some say there was a thought that the man or accomplices were going to shoot even more officers, so ........

I really don't know. I wasn't there, thank goodness, but the death of Philando Castille seemed like an out-and-out murder by police officers. It's almost inconceivable that those who supposedly uphold the law can get away with such brutality, and therefore, although I don't condone it, I can understand why minority groups might feel picked on and start to fill up with resentment. I hope something can be done to heal the rift between blacks and whites. At the end of the day, we're all people.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had very little trouble between races until Obama and his Muslim Brotherhood got all the race baiting started all over again.

As far as cops go. Back home, a cop was our friend, upheld the laws, and most importantly, observed the laws themselves. They had to because we had the three strikes rule.
I often wondered where the cops who lost their jobs back home went to continue in their line of work.
Found them when I moved south!

Since moving south, I have gone from considering a cop my friend, to seeing them more like the enemy, and I also see the majority of those down south here as criminals, many of the habitual criminals.

A week or so ago, I stopped when I saw two plain clothes detectives who were blatantly breaking the law, and called them on it.
Both said they are on a case, and the laws don't apply to them.
THAT is the attitude of most of our law enforcement officials down here. Which is the exact opposite of where I was raised!

I'm still waiting for TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) to comply with the laws which govern them, over an issue I've had with them for close to a year now. From the git go, they broke several laws on what and how they are supposed to operate. Then when I tried to hire an attorney to go after them over it, the first couple I talked to said they would not take a case, because they have to deal with these people all the time. Another I spoke with found CONFLICTING Laws, which should never be on the books due to them being exact opposite rules. But he too would not try to make them do their job, and warned me, not to mess with the powers that be, because they can reverse the truth and make things even harder on me.

Plus we see what the FBI, BLM, Homeland Security, and other government agencies are getting by with these days. There is a war brewing, the government against the citizens, and it won't be pretty when it begins.
Icey

Post by Icey »

This's a horrible scenario Gary, but perhaps on a par with what might've happened here, had the people not been given the promised referendum.
David Cameron, in his arrogance, didn't think that it'd turn into the history-making event that it has. He and his friends were guaranteed cushy jobs after their terms of office, the same as Tony Blair received. Toadying to Brussels can bring huge personal gain, but the worms turned. Tony Blair can hardly look a camera in the eye. Some want him trying for war crimes. David Cameron lied through his teeth to the public. He tried to scare, he tried to threaten, he tried to bluff, but ordinary people weren't as stupid as he had them down for. Had he listened more closely, he'd still be in power. Even the media did an about-turn, as per normal, but the fact is, little England might be somewhat down atm, but she's not out, and we'll rise again, with a better, fairer country that everyone can be proud of.

I have to say that I saw Mr. Obama as a decent leader. I don't know. I don't live in the US, and our relatives there don't speak of politics much. They're from England, so've been more interested in the developments in Blighty than their adopted land, but, like folk everywhere, I guess they have their opinions, and know more than I do.
Race hate has to stop, but you know something? I don't think it ever will, fully. Ideally, we should all get on together, and we often manage it in small groups, but where you pit different cultures with each other, there's bound to be animosity sometimes.

I think it's important to educate from childhood, but some adults're so bigoted or set in their ways that they refuse to pass on common sense to their children. Maybe they don't know how to!

In the main, British people accept others. No one stares or passes comments about mixed-race couples and their children. We live alongside each other pretty harmoniously, BUT, it seems to be the Muslims who're the bigots. They'd rather kill their children, quite literally, than see them marry away from their faith and not adhere to the old customs. Well, I believe that "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". When I've been abroad, I abide by the laws of those countries (Asia included). I dress accordingly, so as not to give offence, and I've only drunk alcohol where it's been permitted, blah blah. So saying, I'd expect visitors to the UK to do the same. Is there anything wrong with that? It's a matter of mutual respect, but no. They come here and squeal if they don't get their own way. They've built their places of worship, and no one's refused their applications. They've now got Sharia law courts for domestic problems, and they can walk around covered head to foot in black garb. Funny how if we go to their countries or origin, we can't do this and that, but most people abide by their laws, and it should apply here as well.

I can't really comment on your law enforcement and police. Some of what filters through onto our news sites may be wrong, exaggerated or biased, but the latest round of shootings .... it's terrible. No police officer should have to be murdered, and no black person should be picked on for no reason. I hope people on both sides can find it in their hearts to forgive and find love, rather than hatred.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You will never hear the truth on our public media stations. Most are controlled by the government and told what to say. There are a couple of stations that are allowed to voice an opposing opinion, but even they are watched closely and most often only allowed to give mediocre views, and rarely if ever the truth.

I moved south a dozen years ago now, so it is possible our police back home have gone downhill since then, but I sorta doubt it.
In the 50+ years I lived back home, we only had one unruly police department, and it was so bad the state came in and shut them down.
Sure, we had a few overzealous cops, every place does, but the vast majority of them back home were totally awesome. They did their jobs, and obeyed the laws. If we got stopped, given a warning or a ticket, or even arrested, it was usually our own fault, and we deserved it, hi hi...
Unfortunately, I cannot say a single nice word about the police down here. There may be one or two good ones out of every hundred or more, but the majority of our police force down here is manned by habitual offenders of the law. And the sad thing is, they don't care and claim they are above the law. Their whole attitude is exactly opposite of what we experienced back home.

Then they wonder why no one likes them anymore!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I see what they're saying. However, as the world changes, maybe the US'll change as well, and only by the government and law enforcement agencies being more honest and transparent with its citizens can you hope to get anywhere. I don't know what can be done about your police officers, because over here, the system of recruitment's obviously different. Applicants're welcomed from all walks of life, but all offences have to be declared, however feeble. Small, spent offences may be overlooked if the applicant's turned into a decent member of society and hasn't committed any crimes for x-amount of time, but habitual offenders wouldn't be accepted, or anyone committing a more serious offence than those "allowed" for during youth (for example, trespassing on private property, whether they realised they were in the wrong or not).

No police force is 100% straight. You'll always get one officer who tries something out of the mould, but generally speaking, most of them try to get on and do the jobs they're paid to do, with the best resources at their disposal. Areas can also affect the sort of officers you get. If some place's known for a lot of crime, you may have more hardened men and women to deal with it, and these might not come across as too lenient or understanding?