photo forum?

Announcements of general interest regarding this web site.
Questions and Answers about this web site.
Suggestions from members
pilvikki

photo forum?

Post by pilvikki » 07 Mar 2015, 11:05

does that sound interesting to anyone? we could have homegrown of something interesting from the net...

yogi

Re: photo forum?

Post by yogi » 07 Mar 2015, 15:12

Photo Forum; I like the idea.
Can the same thing be done in blogs where the story is about you and your personal world?

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 07 Mar 2015, 15:24

you mean like telling a story with pictures, or along with pictures?

yogi

Post by yogi » 07 Mar 2015, 17:03

You could do that, but I think what you are looking for is a place to share pictures with your BFC neighbors. I suggested blogs because they would typically be YOUR pictures and about what's going on with you. You know, something like I did with the critter tracks in my back yard.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 08 Mar 2015, 13:44

ok. got it. but did that not go to seed? :)

yogi

Post by yogi » 08 Mar 2015, 14:24

I'm not sure what you mean by going to seed.

Blogs have always been a part of this web site in one form or another. They went by various names but it was always about the member who owned the blog/journal/diary. I'm leaning in the direction of simplicity here and I toyed with the idea of simply having no other forums except blogs. There would be a Yogi forum, a Pilvikki forum, an Icey forum, and on and on for all the people who want to participate. Topics would be replied to just as we do today. New topics, however, would be posted in your personal blog, and only the owner of the blog could create new posts therein. Your pictures, your music, your rants, your observations, and anything else you care to post would go into your forum slot. You could write a never ending story, or just a bunch of random and unrelated posts. If you had a huge interest in something special, like photography, a subforum to that effect could be made for you. At the end of the day the content would be pretty much what we already have, but organized by individual member interest instead of forum titles. Arranging things that way would give the author a sense of ownership ... hopefully. It 's a different way of doing the same thing, and I think it would make the site a little more interesting. Think about it. Maybe we can sprout some new seedlings. :mrgreen:

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 08 Mar 2015, 14:50

Hmm, in a sense, this is how the NING platform works.
Each person has their own page. Post to you appear on your own page, but when you reply, the reply goes on the page of the person you are replying to, so it makes a conversation unfollowable, also, you don't remember if you responded to a question or not.

In my opinion, open Topical Forums work much better. But each person could still have a blog page where they can make a post, add pictures or whatever, which will either appear or not appear in the main forum as they select which option. Public or Private for e.g. for each entry.

I could see the Biographies page used in a "My Page" or "Blog" type fashion under individual names.

yogi

Post by yogi » 08 Mar 2015, 15:18

I've never used NING but I can readily see how confusing it would be to follow any train of thought if all the comments were not kept together. Our forums by their very nature cannot be split dynamically to direct responses to specific topics. Thus any discussion or chat would remain in tact exactly as it happens in all our current forums.

You are correct to point out that individuals already have space to write their own story. Neither Blogs nor Biographies are brimming with content because there are alternatives on the rest of the board. Naming forums after members would emphasize "who" participates here instead of "what" is being said.

As far as tracking topics goes, it is possible to subscribe to an individual topic, or to an entire forum and be notified here or by email regarding any updates. There is also a feature built into the software to view "active" topics, i.e., those that have had posts in a predefined time frame. And if you are looking for something specific but don't know who said it, the normal search facility loaded with appropriate keywords would quickly locate what you need. All these things can be done now with the current organization of topics so that changing the way things are organized would have little impact on continuity.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 09 Mar 2015, 09:41

I prefer the phpBB layout (from this end of the wire) over most other forums I visit. Clean, Simple, and easy to understand and follow. Plenty of convenience features too!
I suppose at your end of the wire, there are a lot of options under the hood to make your site unique.

I have way too many irons in the fire to find time to study up on how the various programs can be adjusted from the back end. No reason to since I will never have time to establish a site using same.

Love the way you keep things humming along, and so conveniently set-up too!

TTUL
Gary