suggestions...

Announcements of general interest regarding this web site.
Questions and Answers about this web site.
Suggestions from members
pilvikki

suggestions...

Post by pilvikki » 20 Feb 2015, 10:11

a bit more colourful board style options. one with darker font. with kittens. or maybe not, they shed a lot.

forums in alphabetical order. (silly for anyone with a bit of RAM upstairs, but I still can't find forums on nbf without reading them from top down. :oops: )

our old avatar thingies. like my reading penguin. (that's from WH?)

memorial garden for those no longer with us? I think that would be nice.

yogi

Re: suggestions...

Post by yogi » 20 Feb 2015, 13:57

pilvikki wrote:1.
a bit more colourful board style options. one with darker font. with kittens. or maybe not, they shed a lot.

forums in alphabetical order. (silly for anyone with a bit of RAM upstairs, but I still can't find forums on nbf without reading them from top down. :oops: )

our old avatar thingies. like my reading penguin. (that's from WH?)

memorial garden for those no longer with us? I think that would be nice.
Thank you for the great imputs.

At the moment available board styles are pretty limited. This new software is radical enough to not work with the hundreds of styles that were kind of backward compatible in previous life times. We do have two styles available here. The SE Square probably has a bit more contrast than the default prosilver. I search for new styles periodically and will try to add something interesting as soon as I find it. Give it a couple weeks before you see something new.

neoBrainformation was organized by the largest number of posts first. The logic there is that the forums with the most posts are the ones most used. So I pt them at the top and easy to find. They can be arranged alphabetically, and I will give that a try. But the four categories will have to remain in their current order for technical reasons. :mrgreen:

I dug up some new avatars for this board, but you make a good point. The old ones are familiar. You can upload a custom avatar, by the way. It can't be any bigger than 100x130 pixels, but it can be anything you want in that package size. Animated .gif files are ok too. I'll revamp gallery here shortly.

A Memorial Garden might be good. What will it look like and who will do the memorializing? Let's take a vote on that one. All in favor, raise your hand.

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin » 20 Feb 2015, 14:31

PS
I brought back some the old avatars. The penguin avi you are using now is not part of our gallery. You must have uploaded that one on your own.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 21 Feb 2015, 09:34

You must have uploaded that one on your own.
I didn't, so i'm thinking it followed me here. :)

the reason I mentioned the font is that I need my glasses to read it and my eyes are not too bad for my 'advanced' age, so anyone with weaker eyes would be in deep doo-doo.

the memorial garden. not a shrine or anything taj mahal, I was thinking of just adding things we come across that reminds us our friends. just yesterday I thought of glenn's b-day having been on the 18th and I would have liked to have posted a note about it, but can hardly put one in chats. you know.

suggestions from the gallery? :mrgreen:

we also need a different smilie. like this one: :P , but sans the tongue action (which I actually didn't notice for a few years).

yogi

Post by yogi » 21 Feb 2015, 11:22

Your avatar from nBF was not anything I put in the gallery, however, I did manage to bring it over here for you. When you go to your User Control Panel and edit your avatar, select the "Whimsical" category and press the [GO] button. You will then be taken to the gallery where your previous avatar is now available.

Fonts have always been an issue. The problem arises from within the particular style you choose. The developer who creates the style picks a default font that fits their work of art. We are more or less stuck with that selection because whatever font was decided upon may not work well in any other style. Thus we don't have a one font that fits all styles.

Fortunately, there is a way around the small font problem. You can adjust the magnification of whatever font your browser is displaying by pressing a combination of keyboard keys. Just hold down the ctrl key and press one of the others:
  • MAKE FONT BIGGER: ctrl and +
    MAKE FONT SMALLER: ctrl and -
    RESET TO DEFAULT: ctrl and 0 (that be a zero not an alphabet)
The above shortcuts work in every browser I ever tried, but they may not work in every browser in the universe.

I'm thinking the memorial garden would be best suited for the Blogs forum. Our old board dedicated space to individual members to blog or post about their lifestyle. Here I created a forum that is not user specific but serves the same function. Put your memories of a personal nature in Blogs. That way no maintenance will be required and everyone will be able to say things in their own style. Watta U think?

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 21 Feb 2015, 15:30

aha! brilliant! my experience with enlarged fonts has been their running off the edge and over to the bathroom, but here one could go to 24 and still remain within the frame. cool! i'll use it when my eyes start to cross. :lol: I enlarge via crtl scroll wheel for finetuning.

now going to look for me penguin.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 21 Feb 2015, 15:32

btw, I love your avatar! :lol:

yogi

Post by yogi » 22 Feb 2015, 09:13

ctrl + scroll ... would you believe that's a new one on me? It shouldn't be, however, since I've been using that to change the size of my desktop icons for ages.

My avatar is the same as it is on nBF. It makes me feel like a WalMart greeter, and I find it to be very appropriate for this kind of web site. :mrgreen:
Last edited by yogi on 26 Feb 2015, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 22 Feb 2015, 10:21

oh, I was referring to the admin avatar. that makes me LOL every time.

Walmart greeter... yup, you have a point!

yogi

Post by yogi » 22 Feb 2015, 10:40

The admin on nBF was a custom made Wizard avatar from a long lost friend. The current avatar is more realistic. :lol:
Last edited by yogi on 26 Feb 2015, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.

Icey

Post by Icey » 26 Feb 2015, 11:21

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I also like your avatar Yogi. I can imagine you being like that when I ask for help!! : )