This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
tomsk

Re: The Musical box

Post by tomsk »

after 17 years one would hope so.. :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

What would you be doing if you weren't working where you do?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

good question,
I was thinking recently if I'd stayed in retailing at 17 I could've been up quite high on the ladder by now ...
I've had lots of jobs and the worst was working in the freezer dept in Iceland....
I've been in my current position for so long as I have to pay the rent !, have a family to look after!
but this really has been the most ...what's the word, cliche but true , rewarding..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I can tell that, by the way you speak of your work, and there's nothing better than enjoying what you do, so you're lucky in that respect.

Your time at Iceland wasn't all bad though - you can now look back on it and in a way, say that it helped you along the way to where you are now. : )
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

It wasn't all bad there just very cold!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Eee, laddie, you southerners're nesh!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Hve you ever put a huge frozen delivery away...answer No!
It was useful employment at the time..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I've emptied a freezer full of frozen stuff a few times, and transferred it to another, when sorting out any old or unwanted items.

I think that all employment's useful, Arch. It doesn't matter what the job actually entails. If I had to go out to work, I'd be prepared to do anything, rather than wallow on the dole, but unfortunately, if the hours and pay aren't there, it's just not worth it, especially if it incurs travelling expenses on top. The only advantages, are that a person gets out of the house and meets other people (hence improving their social life) and they can hold their head up and say they're not being idle.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

what's 'nesh' precious?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Weaklings who feel the cold! LOL!!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I like the cold better than heat...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I know you do. I was joking with you, because I have some friends down south who're literally shivering when the temperature goes down to about 14C. That's quite warm up here - lol!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

at least my heatings working now..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Watch your bills .... assuming that you have utility bills and it's not all included in your rent.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

i ONLY PAY ABOUT £20 A MONTH...on electric..
Icey

Post by Icey »

BH - and that's the standing charge isn't it???? Mwhahahaha!!! I don't know how you manage it!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

No,
it's pay as you go go!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well, you actually pay more for your energy by using a PAYG meter. You get less for your money than if you were on a contracted tariff. However, in some ways, I imagine that it's better for you, because you're only using what you put in, sort of thing, and if you don't top it up, then you go without.

We couldn't do that here. We'd be topping up every half an hour. I'd be checking the thing every few minutes to make sure the lights weren't going to pop off! Hope you have a supply or candles in, Arch - or a wind-up lantern!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I have some candles/....
Icey

Post by Icey »

Good man! You might need them this winter. Two days ago, we had a half-hour power cut.