Tom Hanks

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
tomsk

Tom Hanks

Post by tomsk »

On desert Island discs..
:cool:

Tom Hanks has described the loneliness of his “vagabond” childhood on the BBC Radio 4 show Desert Island Discs.

The American actor had to pause to collect himself as he discussed the impact of hearing one of his music choices, Strauss’s Also Sprach Zarathustra – used in 2001: A Space Odyssey – on him as a teenager, after a nomadic childhood with his chef father, Amos, living in 10 houses in five years.

He told the programme’s host, Kirsty Young: “This was the ‘wow’ moment of my life going from a kid trying to figure out what’s interesting in this life to young man yearning to be an artist.

“I started asking myself: ‘How do I find the vocabulary for what’s rattling around in my head?’. Not long after I started going to the American Conservatory theatre by myself to see plays I had no idea even existed.”

Asked by Young what those feelings in his head were, Hanks took a long pause and had to compose himself. “What have you done to me?” he asked an apologetic Young.

“No, it’s all right, because I put too much thought into this list. What it was, it was the vocabulary of loneliness,” he replied.

The Cast Away actor, 59, admitted that his first marriage at 21 to actor Samantha Lewes, which produced children Colin and Elizabeth, had been to “quell the loneliness”.
Icey

Re: Tom Hanks

Post by Icey »

Yes, I think Tom's quite an emotional person, but maybe can't channel it except for through his talent and acting.

He's also a perfect example of how constantly being on the move isolates folk from making lifelong friends and putting down roots.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

he has his Wife though which is lovely,
I've not heard the programme yet ...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Sort of ..... but did you read the reason for him getting married the first time? It was to quell his loneliness, which's a terrible reason to get married.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

of course,
we all have to find our way in life,
But we have to respect others too,
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well of course, although there're some people who don't deserve any.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Aye Captain,
do you like any of his films?
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well I thought that Saving Private Ryan was superb, and I'm sure that he'll be superb - if only in voice - in Toy Story 4!!!!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yes,
not seen 3 yet..
Castaway was really good...
Not seen or read the da vinci code..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh - I forgot about that one. Yes, he was fine in the Da Vinci Code, but since I don't watch many films, I'm no good to ask as a critic.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

we are all fans to hell with critics..Saving Private Ryan was superb..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I thought so, especially as it was based on a true story.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yes,
Spielberg is a giant in the field of direction..
Icey

Post by Icey »

True indeed.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

The Green Mile was very emotional...fabulous..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh that was good as well, yes; a bit far-fetched, but still OK.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yes,
I was half cut watching that but got the jist ....that prisoner with the mouse was amazing.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Showed what human nature can be like, even under the most difficult of situations.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yes..powerful stuff..

It wasn't an all doom interview but I can't get it up , sorry..
Icey

Post by Icey »

WHAT interview?