Pi Day

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Pi Day

Post by yogi »

We all know what pi (π) is, right?

And, us really hip people all have its value memorized out to eleven decimal places ==>3.14159265359. Of course we do. Plus, we all know that there is a day each year on which to celebrate this elementary number: 3/14, or March 14th. Well this year is a once in a lifetime Pi Day in that it will occur on 3/14/15, or 3.1415. What once in a lifetime activities will you bee engaged in to celebrate this momentous event?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Pi Day

Post by Kellemora »

PI is something that has changed over the years.
Maybe not in actuality, but in the way we were taught.
When I was in skewl, we had to memorize Pi, and I've never forgotten it.
The number we memorized was 3.1428571
It was only after I worked as an engineer where we used Pi more accurately, did I learn we were not taught to memorize it the proper way. My problem was simple, how I was taught was ingrained so deep, the new number never replaced the old, which did cause some problems in some of my calculations.
As long as I used 16 instead of 28 I was in good shape. Then along came calculators and I didn't have to worry about it anymore.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

we were lazy, 3.14 was close enough. :)
Icey

Post by Icey »

I totally ignored it. I could see no place in my life for it, and still don't. : )

I love that 3.1415 on the 14th March though! LOL.

On that day, I shall be going out for a meal, after a week of lousy blood tests. : (
yogi

Post by yogi »

Be sure to have pie for dessert
Icey

Post by Icey »

Lol I'll try and make room Yogi, but I found this, from which you can work out portions for between 2 and 4 people ....

Technically, area = pi multiplied by the radius of the circle squared. I’m going to settle on A= π x r x r. For easy calculating, pi's rounded to 3.14.

First, you need to know the surface area of the pan that the cake/tart/pudding's been cooked in .....

Surface area for 9-inch round pan = 3.14 x 4.5 x 4.5 = 63.58
Surface area for 8-inch round pan = 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.24

I couldn't read any more!! : (
forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

Off topic replies were split away into a new topic
  • forumadmin