9/11 - The Conspiracy Theories Live On

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

9/11 - The Conspiracy Theories Live On

Post by yogi »

Arguably one of the greatest tragedies of modern times, the fall of the Twin Towers to terrorists' attack occurred fourteen years ago today. The moment I learned of it all still is vivid in my mind. As you might expect from an event of this magnitude many theories of conspiracy have arisen over the years. I don't know all the facts, but I do know how conspiracy thinkers come to their conclusions. The link is to an article by an Australian journalist, Ant Sharwood, who wanted to get the scoop from one of the major promoters of conspiracy regarding 9/11. I learned nothing new in the article, but my suspicions about the logic theorists use have been confirmed.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 7522372675
pilvikki

Re: 9/11 - The Conspiracy Theories Live On

Post by pilvikki »

my question would be: why is it so easy for people to believe their leader/government is capable of such atrocity?

something's not right.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's not difficult to understand here in America. This country was formed by immigrants trying to escape the tyranny perceived going on in Europe. Our constitution and Bill of Rights is full of guidelines that protect citizens from government wielding its power indiscriminately or targeting certain groups. The idea of free speech and the right to own weapons, for example, show that this fear of big government is built into our founding principles. This underlying fear and mistrust is fertile ground for conspiracy theory to develop and grow. The problem is that all conspiracy theory does not pass the critical thinking logic test, yet it's appealing and widely accepted. I don't know if the problem is as bad in other countries.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I remember exactly where I was when I heard and saw the sheer horror....
Whatever the reasons it was an abominable tradegy
Icey

Post by Icey »

Conspiracy stories abound when folk don't get the answers they're all wanting to hear, and when their questions're side-stepped or ignored. This just fuels their imagination, leading to ridiculous assumptions - often way off the mark.

I personally don't have any definite ideas about the why's and wherefore's of 9/11. On this side of the pond, as in most places, we were numbed with shock and grief, and many folk did their best to help. It was certainly the worst scenario that I'd ever seen in my life.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

live on screen and happening before our eyes...still bloody shocking..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree Tomsk. Words fail me when you realise the horror of it.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWKNNer1Cc

gee,
this harrowing but an important historical document..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh no!!! I can't watch it Tomsk. I've seen it before and it literally makes me feel sick.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I know..
we shall never forget
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Icey

Post by Icey »

Seriously upsetting. I could still cry for all those poor people if I thought about it for too long, and no, we won't forget.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

have you been to ground zero?
Icey

Post by Icey »

No, have you?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

No,
the furthest I've been is Israel..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I would've liked to've gone there myself, but never have. My OH has a friend who went to a kibbutz for a while, and he has some wonderful stories to tell about his time there.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I would love to hear them ...
Why can't we all get on together..???
Icey

Post by Icey »

It won't happen for centuries Tomsk. Human beings're greedy, hateful, war-like creatures. If you put 50 peaceful folk on an island, eventually, someone'd argue with whoever decided they were going to be the "leader". It's human nature, and a lot of it has to do with nurture and environment.
yogi

Post by yogi »

50 people on an island would get along fabulously assuming the island had enough personal space for all of them. But 50 thousand, or 50 million, or 7.5 billion will kill off each other. There is something about large populations that make people dislike each other and become aggressive. In the case of 9/11, it's simply the result of an on going culture war: theirs against ours. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, only one culture will dominate.
Icey

Post by Icey »

To get back on topic, I partly agree with what you've said there Yogi, but unfortunately, even small populations eventually turn on each other, as has happened over and over again in the UK, right from 1000 years back. We had small pockets of communities ruled by several kings. Finally, one decided that he wanted to be king of the whole country - and there we go.

The 9/11 atrocity was definitely a culture thing, and as far as I'm concerned, I hope ours comes out on top.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think the size of a community that can live together in peace is one in which every member can become familiar and comfortable with all the others. 50 seems to be a reasonable limit for that to happen. When people are unfamiliar and out of contact, fear of the unknown arises and territory protection becomes important. I'm sure that even in small communities there would be dominant members, but once entitlement is established the peace comes to an end. Anglo-Saxons were a rowdy lot to be sure. :lol: