Bullfighting

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Bullfighting

Post by Icey »

Unfortunately, 7 people've been killed during the annual Spanish bull running, 4 of them very recently.

As with bullfights, which're actively promoted in parts of Spain, I feel inclined to say it's their own fault. Even running them through the streets isn't amusing. The animals're slaughtered afterwards and often sustain injuries during the "sport".

This generated $313 MILLION in 2013, so the cruelty's all about money as usual, plus the fact that many Spanish people think the traditions're acceptable. To my mind, it's on a par with fox hunting, and I think the lot of it should be banned. What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33957505
Last edited by Icey on 17 Aug 2015, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
yogi

Re: Bullfighting

Post by yogi »

I think it's man against beast, but in bull fighting at least the human has the advantage. If it was a fair fight, then I think the tradition would somehow lose it's appeal.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I can understand the thrill of the chase, if you like. I once read that spectator sports, such as football, create an atmosphere of excitement, which stems from the fact that the hunted object (in that case, the ball) stirs some primeval instinct to surface amongst those participating and watching. I suppose a similar thing happens when animals're hunted or fought against, but I think it's horribly cruel. The animals can't win, even if they manage to take a human being down though.
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Honestly? I think that 7 people killed is not at all unfortunate, and if there were any *real* justice in this world, the human death toll would be a good bit higher than that. Bullfighting is a sick, sadistic, sorry excuse for a "sport."
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think it's unfortunate when human beings get themselves killed in the name of so-called "sport". As I said, it was their own fault whether they were participants or spectators, but no, this shouldn't have to happen at all. If this cruelty was outlawed it'd benefit both parties, although the poor animals're doomed anyway. : (
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

today in Carcassonne they were celebrating Feria, which is just a big party as i believe bullfighting is illegal in france.

so i was wrong; it's still legal in 11 counties, along the Spanish border.

damn.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, horrible.

I've heard of the Feria celebrations though, and thought it was some kind of fair?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it can be, as there are stalls with Spanish stuff, but mostly it's music and dancing.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh - thanks.

Yes, bullfighting still goes off in the more southern regions of France, especially on the borders with Spain. Wonder if it still goes off in Pamplona? I know the running of the bulls used to take place there.