Is tanning worth it?

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Is tanning worth it?

Post by Icey »

I've always been pale and happy with it, but some people just love the look of having a tanned face and body. After reading this, does it make you change your mind?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31548937
pilvikki

Re: Is tanning worth it?

Post by pilvikki »

ok, here we go again...

first off, frying yourself is crazy on so many levels, BUT.... this is the 'latest' on tanning from what I gather:

one needs the sun exposure at midday, specifically, to ward of cancers. whyfore now?

well, it turns out that those short rays will build up your D3, which protects from cancers, not just skin cancer. the longer rays of the evenings are what bring the melanomas.

furthermore, lacking in D3 will create a host of problems:

http://www.vrp.com/bone-and-joint/vitam ... h-concerns
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I've read that. I've always accepted that sunlight's good for us - to a degree, but roasting under the sun's long rays or continuously going on a sun bed's asking for trouble.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

absolutely. it's not only unhealthy but the person looks ridiculous..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Those bright orange "tans" look the worst - mwhahahaha!!!!

I say this - if we were meant to have brown skin, we'd have brown skin. It looks perfectly OK when it's natural, but for those of us who're less pigmented, it CAN look too much, it can be dangerous and the skin withers up like old leather.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Pale and interesting it is then..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Better to be safe than sorry.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

pale is not the best option either. well, at least for most people, but neither is getting crisp...

I think she's baked too long:

Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh dear. I've read about that woman, but forget her name now. Believe it or not, she says she thinks she looks good!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that's why we lose so much of our eyesight as we age....
Icey

Post by Icey »

:lmao1:

Brilliant answer!!
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Hey ladies. I work in Indigo Sun Tanning Salon. We have our fair share of addicts and they don't listen to any of our advice about tanning safely. We also have folk who come in once a week for a few minutes to boost their vitamin d. Then we have the ones with skin complaints and are actually advised to use uva by their doctor to help clear up acne, psoriasis.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Sandra. Those sort of reasons seem fair enough, but we're on about the ones who're addicted to staying brown - and even browner - all year round, because they think it looks attractive. In later years, this can affect the skin badly, even if it doesn't cause anything too nasty. A friend of mine uses salons to top up her tan in between frequent sunshine holidays. Her neck and cleavage've gone crepey, which she admits is down to too much exposure, but it hasn't stopped her from doing it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

interesting addiction. I can't stay put that long...

I once remarked that they'd finally hired a black girl on the line at work, and my co-worker looked at me and burst out "that's linda, you dingbat! she just came back from florida!"

really...? she'd gone from fishbelly white to yamaican, mon.
Icey

Post by Icey »

When it's natural, it's fine. When a person turns brown through too many tanning sessions or being out in the sun, I personally don't like to see it. It's not that it looks wrong, but I can't help wondering what they're doing to themselves - and yes - sun bed sessions can be as addictive as getting your eyebrows threaded or going to a nail bar. Essex girls seem to thrive on such treatments!!! : )