the handbag protest

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

the handbag protest

Post by pilvikki »

politicians in a Swedish town of växsjö had decided against a statue depicting a lady hitting a neo-Nazi on the head, from this photograph of the occasion 30 years ago:

you see, it maybe misunderstood as a nod to free use of violence.

so, the swedes got annoyed and suddenly handbags appeared on every statue in the land:

http://www.etc.se/inrikes/nu-smyckas-st ... handvaskor

just skip the text and scroll down and you'll see more of them.

personally, I think swedes are way too PC and are creating themselves a heap of trouble. everything is debated into oblivion. it's like the old "but he was abused as a child" excuse to forgive whatever some psycho can come up with. that's not going to wash in the long run.
Icey

Re: the handbag protest

Post by Icey »

LOOOOL!!!! Love the statues with their ... accessories! That'd be typical of our sense of humour as well - but then again, Sweden's not the only place where everything's too PC. It's exactly the same over here. You almost have to stunt every sentence in case you drop something out which isn't "acceptable".

I agree with you about the psycho thing as well. I know that like often begats like, but there's far more to it than simply being the recipient of abuse yourself. Knowing how hideous it was to've been brought up in those type of situations, you wouldn't expect any sane person to emulate it.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that's exactly the part that trips me up: having experienced and/or witnessed abuse, why take it on?
Icey

Post by Icey »

I know that physical or mental abuse can stay for years in the minds of those who've been subjected to it, but as these people reach adulthood, they know right from wrong, so why perpetuate the misery?

I can vaguely see how, if a person knows no other way, they might see it as a form of "love", or accept it because that's all they've ever known, but you read about so many sad cases of where anger, resentment and feelings of shame raise their ugly heads - yet STILL we hear about plenty of people who're prosecuted for carrying on with these acts themselves. I think that in many cases, the perpetrators use their own experiences to make excuses for their appalling behaviour. They know it's wrong, but either have anger-management issues or they're "not quite right".
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

child sexual abuse has been like something hereditary for so many generations that some people will not have kids in order to make sure the link is broken. more tricky for women who'll unwittingly marry an abuser - and only find out after they have kids...

so sad.
Icey

Post by Icey »

The hereditary factor's always going to be questionable. Some doctors and psychiatrists believe that an unhealthy womb can lead to a child being born with various defects, including those of the brain, just as a woman addicted to alcohol or drugs can pass on her addiction which results in abnormalities, but genetically, it's still pretty much debatable.

Many victims of sex abuse are brought up or looked after by the perpetrators. Where an unknown child's been targeted, studies conclude that the paedophile frequently views his/her target from a romantic angle, and this's why much effort's being directed at trying to calm these urges, through medication and chat sessions, with a view to making the perpetrator understand that such actions aren't acceptable.

Where a child's brought up in such an horrific environment, some see it as the "norm", but it's also been found that their desires go hand in hand with aggressive tendencies. Could it be that part of their brain's trying to fight these urges, resulting in violent behaviour?
Last edited by Icey on 25 Feb 2015, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I was saying "like a hereditary" function, but the s c experts say we try to recreate our childhood home environment as closely as possible, which would keep the abuse going ad infinitum, if not consciously checked one way or another.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I can see some truth in that, but as we said previously, what child, brought up under such horrendous circumstances'd want to perpetuate the terrible fears and other emotions in adulthood?

Discounting cultures where child marriages're considered normal, it's NOT normal to be attracted to children, is it? I think there's something wrong with the brains and psyches of paedophiles, and that many of them use their own abuse as an excuse to continue it.

I understand that not all parents're good parents, but the majority want to protect their young. Putting them through these gross experiences seems sadistic and cruel to me. If an adult feels attracted to young people in an unhealthy way, they should be able to discuss their fears and try to do something about it, but CAN they? I've read of cases where psychiatry's worked on some people. To be blunt, I think many of the rest're just abnormal.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

nature versus nurture comes into play here so much. and my heart goes out to those with a physical flaw, who will ask for a chemical castration to put an end to their problem.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes. When someone's aware of the misery their actions're liable to cause, and they seek help, I say good luck to them for trying to face up to the problem, but no one can make a person continue with their medication, and if they don't, those desires'll surface again. I think physical castration'd be a better option because it'd be permanent.