self-mummification

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

self-mummification

Post by pilvikki »

I just find this so totally absurd. and a waste. pardon the pun...

oh but then again; you get worshipped after you're dead. if you've done it right. :roll:

being buddism is such a low key, humble religion, do you think this kind of self-deification has a place in it?

is he dead yet?
yogi

Re: self-mummification

Post by yogi »

Being a Buddhist isn't as simple as it appears. The idea is to reach a state of Nirvana by renouncing anything sentient in human life. I'd guess the goal of self-mummification is keep one on the path rather than to become a worshiped god. Buddhists don't believe in a creator or supreme being after all. They just want to get out of their bodies and become at one with the universe. It's just a bonus if you end up being deified.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

still, 3000 days of killing yourself seems quite excessive?

or is it perhaps a test on your endurance? either way, it's a hell of a way to go.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's an exercise in teaching your body to rise above it's physical self. There are more enlightened things to aspire.
Icey

Post by Icey »

A mummified body's been dug up (again) recently. The Buddhist who self mummified's said NOT to be dead, but in a deep trance! Followers believe that the mummified Mongolian monk's simply about to reach enlightenment ... even though he's been in his present state for about 200 years. : )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... alive.html
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

they sure don't seem to hurry things.

but i'm sorry, must be the cynic in me that will not accept his not being dead - just sleeping...
Icey

Post by Icey »

No, I think it's plain common sense!