people. a mystery.

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

people. a mystery.

Post by pilvikki »

a message on facebook:

"i'm with my mother in hospital, she's having major surgery right now." and then a few details about said surgery.

so, the replies went:

praying.
prayers for both.
prayers for quick recovery.
(me) don't worry, i had that a couple of years ago and no worries, she'll be fine!
Prayers for your mom.
(the patient herself) i've not seen the doctor yet, but i seem to be ok.
praying
praying for quick recovery

X 20 or so more praying sessions and they'd not even noticed her status update!

i felt like telling them so stop as she's not dead!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

nobody seems to pay any attention to anyone else had say in this matter
yogi

Re: people. a mystery.

Post by yogi »

As you must know, in this country a lot of school children have been shot and terrorized this past year or so. The stream on Twitter is full of "thoughts and prayers" for the family and friends of the victims. Pretty much like Farcebook I imagine. Quite a few political figures who receive campaign and other contributions from gun advocates such as the NRA have also Tweeted their sympathies, thoughts, and prayers. Not one friggin one of them has done much, if anything at all, to do something about the gun laws or the dirty money from the NRA. I'm at the point where "thoughts and prayers" teeter on being meaningless expressions of sympathy. It's an idle expression that has no substance. It's a lot like people asking, "How are you"" when you meet them. They don't really care nor do they want to know.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the thoughts etc indicates to me that NO thought was put into any of it and it's merely a cop out to side step putting something concrete towards a solution/monetary gift etc.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You give Facebook as an example of how the sheeple can't be bothered to say anything with more thought behind it, but it's a common practice everywhere. I have empathy and sympathy as much as anyone, but, unless I know the people personally I find it hard to say anything. I guess I would rather risk being insensitive than showing how insincere I am.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

interesting angle.
i'm very clumsy with my condolences etc regardless of the relationship to the person. i believe it's from my childhood where expressing feelings of any sort were frown upon.
so i find a picture or something like that.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That works fine.
Artists use pictures to express feelings all the time.