religion map

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

religion map

Post by pilvikki »

interesting map showing who worships whom or what in the US of A:

http://didyouknowfacts.com/largest-reli ... 7eefa2109b

i'm quite baffles, as some of these i know nothing about, yet seem very popular. like bahai. or the zoro-something.
yogi

Re: religion map

Post by yogi »

Way back when I was a curious youth dating a lovely lady who would eventually become my wife, a favorite way to spend time together was to get into the car an drive; follow our nose so to speak. Living in the Chicago area we were within easy driving distance of Lake Michigan, which could have been the Atlantic Ocean for all we could tell on shore. The shoreline heading north of Chicago had some very wealthy residents. It was kind of cool seeing how the other half lived. About an hour up the road in the midst of these Wilmette mansions was the Bahá'í Temple.
The Bahá'í House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois. One of eight dedicated temples of the Bahá'í Faith, it is the oldest surviving Bahá'í House of Worship in the world.
~Wikipedia
It was an amazing sight from the road and we even walked around the outside of the temple. That's all I know about Bahai other than it's kind of a universal religion which promotes being 'at one with the universe.'

Zoroastrianism was founded by the Prophet Zoroaster in ancient Iran approximately 3500 years ago. This predates Islam, the current fad in that part of the world. Every so often, when I read something philosophical, I'd run across a reference to Zoroaster. I can't say that I know much about it, but apparently it's very popular in cultures foreign to me. I don't recall meeting anyone who followed that particular line of belief in the Chicago area. But, the USA is a big place. There could be a whole gang of Zoroastrians somewhere.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, according to the map there's a whole lot of them.

:think:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Give me a hint. Where are the Zoroastrians on those maps? I couldn't find them.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

you'll find it at the bottom of the third map, by counties, in the footnote.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I'm just a little bit fed up of religion..
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i thought you were a catholic in good standing....?
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I'm a doubting Tomski...
I'm just fed up with all the fighting...
to question things is healthy...
yogi

Post by yogi »

God is good. The people trying to explain God are not so good at it.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I say the rosary at least once a day and it helps...
yogi

Post by yogi »

The rosary ritual has comforted a lot of restless souls. You are blessed if it benefits you.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i was schooled as a lutheran; which basically meant to show up in church on sundays and to behave oneself or else all hell breaks loose. as my parents were devout atheists, only the latter applied to us personally and we just got preached to in school. a lot.

so, the other day i was looking something up and came across some of the catholic rituals and it was.... :eek: like, seriously?! you've got to do all that?

:thud:
yogi

Post by yogi »

Catholics have seven holy sacraments, one of which is Penance. That's the one where you periodically have to purge your soul of all the sins you committed by confessing to a priest in a face to face confrontation. You may be told to say a rosary or two as an act of contrition. I think this ritual alone has caused many people to find some other way to communicate with their maker.
Last edited by yogi on 05 Sep 2017, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

that'd be a "no way in hell!" from me.