pilvikki

robo puppy

Post by pilvikki »

i find this quite creepy, you?

woof?
yogi

Re: robo puppy

Post by yogi »

The good news is that you don't need a pooper scooper when you take these "doggies" for a walk.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Some day we will find robots almost everywhere.
We're getting their fairly fast as it is now.
I've had robotic vacuum cleaners now for several years.
One designed for a home with lots of pets has been a perfect addition to keep shedded hair to a minimum.
Worked much better than the normal one we had first.
Now, if they could only make one that empties itself after it returns to its docking station eh!
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I don't like them, instead of poop do they leave a deposit of batteries?
Icey

Post by Icey »

LOL @ Yogi and Tomsk!

I agree with Vikki though. They ARE creepy. Horrible.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I love the Roomba vacuum cleaner! no bending. and yes, if it only knew how to empty itself.

well, at least it won't be sniffing your crotch...
Icey

Post by Icey »

:lol: Oh dear, Vikks!!!!

Yes, the Roomba vacuum cleaners look fine, especially the latest models, but they DO have drawbacks, such as not being able to climb steps and vacuum a stairs carpet. They also take much more time to complete a room than it'd take manually, but hey - they're labour-saving! :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The early Red Roomba's we owned did run around haphazardly it seemed. They did follow a pattern which seemed illogical to us, but I assume logical to itself.
The newer ones we've owned do not criss-cross their own paths many times as the old units. But they do hit about 1/3 of the area at least three times and other areas only twice. I think it has to do with what obstacles are in the room, but they do learn now too.
The first couple of times they do a room, they are all over the place. Then they learn where everything stationery in the room is located. Movable object like chairs or the lazy dog, it knows to go back and check that area it couldn't get to the first couple of passes.
Before they came out with the one for pooches, I bought the one designed for a shop or workroom. It had a much larger waste bin, and had the same basic pick-up system as the one for pets. Considerably different than the Red Roomba's pick-up system.
I wanted to order a Scoobie and their sales person talked me out of it. Said they could damage our type of flooring.
I wish I would have bought it before the price doubled, because it can't be worse than dogs and wet mopping.

You'll laugh at this one. A totally different company by the way. This dude was bragging about how well their robotic lawn mower works. He had a demo model he took around with him, naturally their most expensive deluxe super-duper model, hi hi... I invited him over to my house with a guarantee to buy if it did even only my front yard without getting stuck or trapped. I knew it would in the back yard, hi hi...
He came and looked and said I had to mow the yard first, because I keep my grass too high for their unit. I said OK, only takes about 15 minutes to mow. I got my lawn mower and had him set the height he wanted it. It was fairly low. I zipped around the yard and mowed it to the height he wanted, which was just above where his machine would take it down a but further.

He had to go get it unstuck four times in the first ten minutes, move things out of its way like fallen twigs. He spent more time chasing after it than I did mowing. He still tried to pressure me into the sale. I told him, since I can mow faster, and with less problems, no sale. He had to get his dig in. Well most people keep their lawns clear of debris.
Why? My mower mulches up the twigs, and like mulch, they are gone in under a year, decomposed.

Had another guy with a bigger unit come by which worked just fine. Would have bought it if the price was more reasonable. It had great features, was safer, and wouldn't get stuck in ruts or up against fallen branches, not even big ones. Great machine, but not when it costs more than a Snapper Riding mower, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, the prices're a bit eye-watering; over $895 for one of the Roomba models, which just happens to be their best, so everyone'd want it, but when it takes so long to do a room when you could've whipped over one yourself in 5 minutes, these labour- saving devices start to look a tad disappointing.

I suppose that if a couple're out at work all day, and you leave the thing to go over a room, then everything should be nicely done by the time you return, but what of the other rooms? They also can't pull furniture out to clean behind, BUT ... I can see them being useful to some folk.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

OUCH - I know they went UP, but I didn't know how high.

Our first TWO Red Roomba's cost $189.00 and $169.00, the price went down for a bit.

Seems like I paid around $360.00 for the Shop Version, and $399.00 for the identical model with a puppy dog foot on it.

The Shop Version's battery just gave up the ghost between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The puppy dog is still going strong. They do soak you for the batteries, so I disassemble the battery cases and replace the batteries myself.
Well, I used to. Not much time to fix much of anything lately. Usually it is only one or two cells that go bad and start zapping the whole battery unit. I have not priced a new battery for them lately.

Nor have I priced the new units either as far as that goes.
If they are that high, I can get a broom from Dollar Tree, hi hi...

TTUL
Gary
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yogi wrote:The good news is that you don't need a pooper scooper when you take these "doggies" for a walk.
Roboplop?
:tiptoe: :lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Even worse than I thought Gary ....

About $902.16 .....

http://www.irobot.co.uk/Store/Robots/ro ... tAodI30AcQ

LOL Tomsk!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, with my back kaput, I don't care how long the Roomba rhumbas. and the kids love steering it into other rooms.

:)
Icey

Post by Icey »

Exactly. It'd benefit many people in the same position.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey

I just checked the prices myself, couldn't believe how much they've gone up.
But they have made them much better over the years too.

Even so, I wouldn't need their latest greatest highest price model.
Dropping down from all the new bells and whistles, has everything except two new features.

The 880 and 879 models sell here for ten buck over or under 700 bucks
The 700 series varies from 475 for the 770 up to 590 for the 780
All the rest can be obtained for 350 bucks or less, the new 650 is 355, while the 620 is only 275.
If I were planning on buying a new one, I would shop around to find someplace with better prices.

They all handle pet hair and have self-cleaning brushes, so they don't have the yellow shop or pooch model anymore.

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Still dear, aren't they?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Yes they are Icey, I've loved every Roomba we've owned. We had other brands which were totally useless, but thankfully they were hand-me-downs from folks who bought them and figured rather than throw them away, I could use them for something. I used to tinker a lot back then.

Had this little wind-up pooch which could do a back flip. Back in the days before plastic toys, hi hi...
Had a wind-up toy tank that had so much power, it could pull my cousin, riding in a wagon, over a pillow stuffed under a carpet runner. The toys they make today, you're lucky if they don't get stuck on flat ground, much less have the ability to pull something up an incline, especially a soft one that sinks in.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Absolutely. I don't think many of today's toys're half as interesting to kids as they used to be. Maybe they do more, and the electronic wizardry gets better and better, but they soon get disused as newer and "better" things come along.

When I was little, I remember playing with my older brother's toys, and we had a box of stuff that belonged to my father and grandfather. It was full of intriguing bits and bobs - wind-up things, old-fashioned Jack-in-the-Boxes and stringed puppets. Me and my sisters used to prefer them, and we used our imaginations. One day we found about 3/4 of a farmyard set which our mum'd played with. A few animals were missing, but it was great, and the detail and quality of the figures was better than what you even get now!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Don't know if I should admit this in public or not.
But when I was very young, I loved to play with my sisters little baker oven, and would beg mom to let me do some of the ironing. By the time my head was as high as the kitchen counter, mom let me make our Sunday biscuits on a little table I had in the corner of the kitchen and bake them in the real oven.
All this sorta faded away once I was allowed to leave our yard and go exploring, as long as I stayed on our families collective properties. Add a couple of years and my only restraint was to be home by dinner, or if after dinner, and homework done, be home before dark.
Despite everything I could do, my all-time favorite was taking things apart to see what made them work. And with having scrap heaps and barns filled with old stuff nobody wanted anymore, I never ran out of things to learn about how they worked. Actually fixed many broken things so they were functional again.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:cool:

my wee saxon, 7, has taken a liking to scrambled eggs he cooks with ham and cheese. he needs a stool to reach the top of the stove.
even better, I get my coffee brought up every morning. :grin: that means that I can go down those stairs without whimpering. yay!

squeaki baked a cake last week. while she was greasing and lining the pans, I separated and beat the egg whites. while she looked for the food colouring, I beat the butter fluffy. while she....

it was a tough recipe for a kid, but I know she learned a lot. we'll revisit it for when ma gets home.

the kids' dad is a great cook. but ye gods, what a mess he makes! :eek: