Coming to America

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Coming to America

Post by yogi »

Opponents take issue with many parts of the legislation, but the most high-profile fight is over a new authority for the government to compel Internet service providers to retain “Internet connection records”—including websites visited or mobile apps used, the times they were accessed, and the duration of use—for up to 12 months for all their customers. Investigators won’t need a warrant from a judge to access this data. “There is no state in the Western democratic world that has anything similar,” says Eric King, a visiting lecturer on surveillance law at Queen Mary University of London and former deputy director of Don’t Spy on Us, a coalition of nongovernmental organizations that advocates for surveillance reform.
This isn't from news in Iran, North Korea, or China. It's happening in the UK as I write this. Last November the British Parliament enacted the Investigatory Powers Act which includes all the above and more. The new law allows for hacking into databases and personal devices of citizens in their country, but also into those who are not citizens. The concerns in America should not be that our British cousins might be investigating our Internet activities given that Microsoft, Facebook, and Google already are doing similar things for their own purposes. The concern should be over the role model that this British law is offering for other democracies to spy on their own citizens. I can't imagine who might be thinking of doing something like this in America :rolleyes: but the president now has been set.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6033 ... lications/
tomsk

Re: Coming to America

Post by tomsk »

The World is so much smaller especially now with the net..
if you have a clear conscience then you have nothing to worry about..
It does feel like real Big Brother though...
yogi

Post by yogi »

No, you can't feel the surveillance. I used to think the Brits were above such things given their high regard for privacy. Now, what Ms May is doing is quite benign compared to what is going on over here.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

if you have a clear conscience then you have nothing to worry about..
sorry, mate, it doesn't work like that. let's assume you're a low level gov official. you offer a citizen an apology for splattering mud onto his newly polished car.

"dear sir, i'm very sorry for having accidentally offended by splattering the boot of your car with mud. thus i'm giving you 100 quid to compensate. sincerely, blah blah."

now, tomasina, one can take that apart and get "i am very offended, thus giving you the boot." as every word was written by the unfortunate official, but as an added bonus, then claim he was being bribed with money....

not likely to happen to you and me, as long as you stay away from interviews, just saying.
yogi

Post by yogi »

More to the point, now, under British law, if they decide to investigate our own innocent and nothing to fear tomsk, they have the right to come here and see who are his buddies and investigate them too. Maybe tomsk has nothing to fear, but I don't like the idea of my privacy being compromised by association with a good ol' chap.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I can't afford to worry too much about these things...
I wouldn't be able to leave my flat if I did..
yogi

Post by yogi »

I understand your concerns. Staying in your flat won't keep the government's prying eyes from seeing you, but it will make you feel safer.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

sure and the kettle is near..
yogi

Post by yogi »

... is that so? What exactly do you use that kettle for?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:razz:

yogi

Post by yogi »

Well, I know about YOUR witch's brewing, but I was wondering about tomsk
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

:lol: