Leather

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Leather

Post by Icey »

I see nothing wrong with utilising the hides of animals which've been slaughtered for food, and thus producing shoes, clothes, bags, etc. It'd be stupid not to use the skins as well, but why do I find this particular "work of art" revolting?

Apparently, the cat was roadkill, but was there any need to keep its head on the bag? I think it goes just a step too far, and have to add that I don't like other animal heads which're mounted on walls or left on rugs either. :sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37426664
pilvikki

Re: Leather

Post by pilvikki »

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I know. I think having the head there brings it home to you that the bag was once a living animal. When we see sheepskin jackets, as an instance, you tend not to visualise the hide as it was when it covered the animal. Having the head attached just makes it seem so wrong.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I hate furs but leather shoes are ok by me..
In the 70's my Mum had a revolting coat fur which our little dog ripped to bits!
:lol:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh bless! I bet that pleased your mum!! :lol:

I love the look of some real fur coats, but I'm glad that the trend's not fashionable in today's society. I think we all have our own limits as to what's acceptable or not though.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yes, Mother had these revolting fur gloves too which thankfully went the same way..
real fur coats are vulgar..
Icey

Post by Icey »

I have 3 heirlooms - beautiful, fabulous fur coats which I'll never get to wear in public. Neither would I want to, because it's offensive, but in a way, it's a shame.

To explain, killing an animal for its pelt, just for vanity, is cruel and un-necessary. However, I have no issues with indigenous people who've lived this way for thousands of years, and who'd die from the cold if they didn't have appropriate clothes to put on. The skins're usually just part of the entire animal which's utilised in some way or other - e.g. for food, tools and utensils. It's just a part of every-day life in some areas of the world. It's tragic for the animals who're picked out for slaughter, but no more than necessary're killed.

When it comes to appeasing fashion designers, the ugly trade in exotic pelts sickens me, but if you look at rabbits, which can be used as food, it seems pointless not to use their skins in the same way that cows, sheep and deer're used.

Nothing's warmer than a real fur coat. No fake fur can equal it, but I prefer to forfeit that to save the life of an (often endangered) animal.
imhotep the 2nd

Post by imhotep the 2nd »

Hi all.
I'm back, but only a quick visit I'm afraid.
Just wanted to reply to this thread.
Well, for one thing, looking at stuffed animals (like a taxidermist does), tends to make me shiver a little bit. There's something about stuffed animals I don't like. It's as if they are looking at you somehow. Mind you, it really is fascinating watching them in a museum, but it would be a quick visit from me. Haha.
As for their skins, hmm....I agree with Tomsk. Fur coats are a definite no no from me!! So cruel to kill animals just for making coats to show off to other people. Yuck!
I'm also against even killing elephants just for their ivory. I would never buy ivory myself. Oh no!!
With that, I'm off to bed. Hope to be back sometime soon.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Come back soon, imhotep!!

I agree with you. Killing elephants and rhinos for their ivory's appalling.