The Math of Pizza Eating

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Re: The Math of Pizza Eating

Post by Icey »

I couldn't tell you what the regulations are for business machines over here, but obviously, the higher the output of whatever you're selling, the bigger and more modern you want your machinery to be.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Although normally true, sometimes bigger is not always better.
We had a manual tomato slicer, only did one tomato at a time. It was really rare for it to smash a tomato instead of slicing it.
We upgraded to automatic machine, you still had to feed it one tomato at a time, but not Set the tomato like you did in the manual machine. It was faster, but if it smashed a tomato, you had to shut down and clean the machine before continuing. It usually smashed one just about the time you were on a roll, and work came to a halt momentarily.
A few of our prep workers preferred the manual slicer, so I sold the automatic to another restaurant.
A salesman popped in one day with a new type of tomato handling machine, and surprised me with a fair price for it too.
It not only sliced, but cored and removed the blossom end, besides separating the slices by end or middle. The middle slices were stacked with the peeling intact, and the end slices had the peeling removed and were diced as fine as we wanted them.
I don't recall a tomato ever getting smashed in this machine, but I did have to have it serviced about twice a year, because it would stop finding the stem end of the tomato properly. You just loaded the tomatoes, didn't have to Set them, and it did all the rest.
When I look back it is amazing all the little devices we had back then which you no longer see made.
Icey

Post by Icey »

That sounded awesome Gary, and yes, I agree with you. Sometimes smaller IS better.