a bit late?

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

a bit late?

Post by pilvikki »

good grief, how crazy is this? she's 72, or so, and he's 79.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parent ... 5353d93bdb

:facepalm:
Icey

Re: a bit late?

Post by Icey »

Yup, I heard about this, and a few of us've had a debate about it.

From my own perspective, I think that the menopause happens for a reason. Nature decides when each woman should stop reproducing, although this can be tweaked by using fertility drugs, IVF - and surrogacy if the other two're medically inadvisable.

However, I've seen the distress that it can cause when a couple've been trying for years and nothing happens, and in this latest case, the couple would've had to endure years of being talked about, jeered at or ignored, because in their culture, procreating is of importance.

The argument about age doesn't come into it from how I see things. If two loving parents only have a short time with their child before dying, there'd be plenty of relatives willing to rear him or her. If the baby was very young when its parents passed away, it wouldn't remember them later on, so what you never know, you can never really miss, although I'm sure that questions'd be asked as they got older.

A person in their 70's can't possibly have the same level of energy as someone half their age though, but with 2 parents around to keep an eye on the child - and a very special one to them at that - why should that prevent the child from growing up happily? There are plenty of disabled parents who can't run around after their kids, but each family learns to adapt, so I don't see age as being a barrier per se.

However, the mother was obviously fit enough to endure carrying and giving birth to a baby, but all that could change within as little as 6 months. Getting older can bring related medical problems on quickly, but more than a few grandparents look after babies and toddlers while the parents're at work, so they're doing pretty much the same job as this couple'll be doing. I'm sure they'll love every minute, and they'll be as proud as punch - not to mention being fully accepted by their family, friends and neighbours. After waiting so long for that precious bundle, the pair'll no doubt make far better parents than the thousands who mistreat or don't even want theirs.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

Oh,
for goodness sake,
this is so irresponsible..
Icey

Post by Icey »

Not to them, it isn't.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

yuk...............................
Icey

Post by Icey »

Why "yuk", Tomsk? I appreciate why many people think that this woman was way too old to give birth, but the fact remains that she has. For the couple, it must've been a glorious moment, and although I don't agree with artificially interfering with nature, who's to argue with the fact that science's made them very happy? It must've seemed like a miracle to them. It's not tacky or disgusting. The pair were obviously so wanting to have a child, that knowing this could've turned out very badly for the mother and baby, they were still prepared to give it a go. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, but there're thousands of infertile couples who'd love to be given the chance of parenthood.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

the thought of becoming a parent again is not a pleasant thought..
And I wish to stop having sex when I reach 52...
Icey

Post by Icey »

What on earth makes you think like that??
stronachbelinda

Post by stronachbelinda »

Exactly their should not be such rule. This is the age when couple get into deepest love with each other. And obviously baby adds happiness to family, so whats the issue?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the issue here is that the kid might be an orphan before he's out of diapers!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes hun, but as I said above, if that's the case, the child won't remember its parents in years to come, and I can't see as it making any difference to how he or she's loved and brought up by relatives or close friends.
My best friend lost her mum when she was just 2 years old. Her mother was only 22 at the time - far too young to pass away, but she had an unknown heart complaint. My friend was reared by her grandparents, and couldnt've had a happier upbringing.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, sometimes it works, gods know there are plenty of orphans, but it seems crazy to plan for it.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I don't see it that way.

I have to admit, that, as I said at the start, I think nature dictates when a woman's breeding times're over - and for good reasons - but, in the case of the Indian couple above, who had to suffer heartache and being ostracised within their community, it's been a miracle come true for them.

We can't imagine what it must be like to live in a culture where fertility's paramount. Those who aren't able to have children must feel terrible - not just because they're failures in the eyes of their families, friends and neighbours, but for themselves as well. Being able to change that before they die, must bring the greatest happiness that these couples can ever feel, even if only for a relatively short time. It's obviously sad that the children may not reach adulthood before one or both parents die, but better to be loved than not to be wanted at all, as so sadly happens in other places.