Brain Dead

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
yogi

Brain Dead

Post by yogi »

When the brain is defined as dead, the rest of the body takes on the same status, but did you know ...
That state is “currently defined by the medical establishment as “irreversible”, they are technically no longer alive, despite the fact that human bodies can still circulate blood, digest food, excrete waste, balance hormones, grow, sexually mature, heal wounds, spike a fever, and gestate and deliver a baby,” the company notes in a statement.
The company making the statement has recently received approval from the US Government to research and develop techniques that may be able to bring people back from the dead. Think about that for a moment. All our efforts have been aimed at prolonging life and preventing death for as long as possible. Does it not make sense to have a way to bring people back? But, would you want to?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 13786.html
pilvikki

Re: Brain Dead

Post by pilvikki »

I don't see how this would work, but then there's not much I know about the functioning of the body. will we have a bunch of frankensteins running around?

as for myself... I doubt it. I figure too many things are already wrong with this carcass to patch it up.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think it's a very interesting concept, and using stem cells may be the way to go, since it's known that they can grow into any type of cell in the body - so why couldn't they resuscitate the brain or grow into a completely new one?

I agree that it sounds rather like Frankenstein's monster, but maybe the research could pave the way to better understanding of degenerative brain disorders and to reverse or "cure" them.

The only drawback with this sort of stuff is that if a person could be brought back to life and be functional again, the idea of bringing some despot back wouldn't be too good, would it? It'd mean that in effect, they could live forever by having further treatment every time they died.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

so why couldn't they resuscitate the brain or grow into a completely new one?
could I just put in an order now?

I think the major advantage would be for dementia and alzheimers type of problems, before you flatline. my ex's grandmother lived to be 96, but for the last 3 years she didn't have both oars in water and became increasingly angry and irritated.

what about people in their 50's, like a friend of mine, perhaps work on that first?
yogi

Post by yogi »

The concept of reviving a dead brain is infinitely intriguing. Many exotic questions come to mind. For example, the new resuscitated brain would be starting out fresh if it is derived from new cell structures. That means memories of your past would be non-existent, or vague at best. That eliminates Icey's speculations about Hitler living forever, but does it also imply that a person is born again? Literally? Would the new life be separate and apart from the old one even though a majority of the parts are being recycled?

Also, I believe I posted elsewhere in these forums about a technique being developed to implant memories. This is akin to programming a computer and in fact some of the same techniques are being used. The possibility there is to implant memories of events that never happened. I could have some delicious memories of times I spent with Taylor Swift, for example, if I were willing to pay the price for it. This same process can be used to populate the memory of a formerly deceased brain. We could create a population of Einsteins as well as Hitlers.

It's mind boggling to say the least.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the question on that line would be: which would we most likely to have more of, einsteins or hitlers? :think:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I see what you mean Yogi.

I was thinking in terms of a brain being revived or resuscitated soon after death, so that memories wouldn't be lost - but rather be implanted into the new or repaired cell network.

Obviously this kind of research's going to go ahead, and yes Vikki, it'd be wonderful if dementia and Alzheimers could be reversed before a person died, enabling them to live without the distressing and debilitating diseases, but work's already proving to be beneficial for dementia sufferers, in the form of medication once used for treating Parkinson's, for example. All these things'll get better as time goes on.
yogi

Post by yogi »

pilvikki wrote:
the question on that line would be: which would we most likely to have more of, einsteins or hitlers? :think:
My guess is that the neural networks of an Einstein or a Hitler may eventually be possible to replicate. But, This is 2016 and the technology to do such things could be decades away. Would an Einstein brain turn out to be like the original model if it started fresh in 2050 for example? All of what he speculated will be old hat by then. Same for Hitler. Is Europe ready for takeover by a "master race" these days, not to mention 35 years out? I'm certain that the mental processes will be available for transplant, but the conscious experiences stored in the memories will be way different.

I'm not worried about a pack of Hitlers being cloned in the future. I am worried about a pack of robots with artificial intelligence that far exceeds anything we have evolved into up to that point in time. :eek:
yogi

Post by yogi »

While this is not the same idea, reconstructing DNA is also being investigated. These people think they can put together the genome for Leonarda da Vinci. http://gizmodo.com/the-brilliantly-insa ... 1774873148
Icey

Post by Icey »

Excellent! :clap:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

and maybe we can eventually rebuild leo? n/m dino parks, let's have long since departed geniuses parks?
Icey

Post by Icey »

And 200 years from now, I bet we wouldn't believe what they'll be able to create. It's fascinating, and yet how far CAN we go before we come full circle?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

full circle?

Icey

Post by Icey »

That's sort of a good example actually. I think the world can only go so far before before a nuclear accident or some other catastrophe wipes much of the planet out. Then I think we'd be reduced to ape-like status again, or at least to primitive living. All the great knowledge'd be lost, as I personally believe's happened several times over.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

or, like this chilling book I read where this retard decided to wipe out the entire population of the earth and start a new race as himself the new 'adam'. without telling anyone he chose a suitable mate fort himself, had some friends sterilized so he'd still have company in his newly recreated world....

and found out he was sterile himself.

"ook?" said the chimp.
Icey

Post by Icey »

LOL! That'd serve someone right!