DIY marriage

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
pilvikki

DIY marriage

Post by pilvikki »

I found this quite interesting, and actually love it! why should there be all kinds of pomp and circumstance if it's not wanted or needed? say, a couple on their second (+?) run; why'd they have to - again - promise to this and that until death do them part? I take it the idea of the parting meaning a physical parting of either party and not the death of the marriage...

anyway, i'm surprised it's not more common. i'd go for it, although I won't have to worry about it, done with that I am:

we'll get married in the morning...
Icey

Re: DIY marriage

Post by Icey »

Here are some non-traditional wedding vows that can be recited .....

https://www.myweddingvows.com/non-tradi ... dding-vows

The "...'til death do us part' bit doesn't have to be included, and nor does the 'obey' have to come into it.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The most surprising point made in this article is that nearly everywhere in America a representative of some religion must officiate at the marriage. The Pennsylvania Dutch are the only exceptions. One of the mantras heard over and over again is how our government is based on the concept of separation of church and state. The existing laws about marriage seem to contradict this fundamental concept. Apparently even when one goes to City Hall instead of a church to create the marriage, some religious official is involved. That's crazy.

Marriage is a legal state/contract between two people. In my opinion signing the contract should be enough to make things legal. If you want to sign it in front of a church official, fine. But it should not be a requirement.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

I also found it most bizarre, for the exact reason you stated.

I'm wondering if this be left over from the times when the church was in charge of records keeping? it does not make sense otherwise, and now ought to be kicked to the curb.

I got married twice, once in Scotland and once in Canada. neither time was a religious person required.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

...which reminds me, I need to find my divorce papers. strange that I need to have that document considering my ex is dead.
mais oui, dis eez france...
Icey

Post by Icey »

People have a choice of wedding ceremonies over here, but I agree with what you've both said. If folk wish to recite words in the presence of a religious representative, then fair enough, but they shouldn't have to. Wedding vows're exchanged because the legal part of it means that couples're seen as then sharing responsibilities (including debts!) as well as their love. Society and the law accepts this. The other part of the ceremony's spiritual, and that's where I feel it's up to the couple concerned as to whether they wish to make an oath in "the presence of God".

Over here, nothing religious has to be given a mention at all if the couple decide to get married at a register office or venue unconnected with it, but they have to be carried out by a person authorised to do this, otherwise it's not recognised in law. I imagine that the same rules apply in most countries.

Pagan weddings, such as handfasting can be carried out anywhere. Sometimes, couples who get married in this way'll have an "official" marriage shortly afterwards., but very rarely will they be blessed in a church.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

meanwhile, my daughter can legally marry folk in the US of A, can't remember which state, or if there is a state limitation. this is particularly funny as she's an atheist and a Canadian. she has some fancy looking document declaring her an ordained something or other.

she was out of work and thought she'd see how many diplomas she could get - and ended up wallpapering her office with them. there'd be a 6 month English course she'd punch out in 3 weeks (because the mail was slow), geography, math etc. most of them legit, with the occasional 'fun' one thrown in.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Incredibly, it seems that in the US you can apply to be ordained online and need no religious education ......

Become an AMM Minister:

All states recognize the right of ministers to officiate weddings. Becoming ordained as an AMM Minister is easy! Free ordination does not expire, and the application is quick. You do not need to have a religious background or previous ministerial experience.

When you get ordained you will have the authority to perform marriage, and in most states there is no additional government registration required of ministers before performing marriage.

:confused:

:eek:

:shrug:

It's slightly more complicated over here.