solar panels

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: solar panels

Post by Kellemora »

I've actually thought of building a bird feed station similar to the fenced in gazebo my neighbor had.
Not as large, but just as functional.
I have an old round glass top umbrella table I could place 2x4 wire mesh completely around the outer perimeter, and 2x2 mesh a foot inside of that. Like I did on the small pole mounted feeding tray. Gives a chance for the smaller birds to get to the food without the bigger birds harassing them to death.
Although we do have a cat or two shortcut through the property, they usually steer clear of the backyard where the dogs are, and where my bird feeders are located.

Don't know if you have those little tiny solar powered dancing toys. We have some with a flower and two leaves, or an animal that moves back and forth. Crazy things sell for anywhere from 5 bucks down to a buck, depending upon where you shop. Not much to them, just a coil of wire that acts like an electromagnet, and an electronic intermittent switch. The electromagnet sucks a regular magnet over it, causing the device to operate.

Although I know perpetual motion is impossible, I still think of ideas that seem like they would work, hi hi...
Using the same concept as the little toys above, what if the inductance when it released the current to swing back was used to power an LED lamp or two. The light would be focused on the solar panel.
I do realize the efficiency of a solar panel is very low, however, the voltage of breaking the current in an inductance coil is very high. More than needed by an LED light. A 12 volt automotive coil produces about 30 thousand volts and creates the spark on your spark plugs. I'm sure these little electomagnetic coils don't produce much inductance voltage, but even so, it could easily light an LED or two. Would it be enough to activate the coil to keep the toy working? Probably not, but it's worth thinking about. It may not be perpetual motion, but it may make something run longer when the sun sets. Maybe even eliminate storage batteries if capacitors were used instead.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, I think it might work Gary. Worth a try if you're up for it. You certainly come up with some novel ideas!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've already tried something similar a number of years ago, before LEDs, using a 12 volt electric motor and car generator who's output was 12 volts. By my way of thinking, since the generator put out more amperage than the motor drew, it should have worked. Trouble is, as you apply a load to the generator, it takes more power to keep it turning.

Here is another thing I tried. It was much more complicated than I'll explain here, such as the surface of the foam ring was slick, not porous like Styrofoam.

Picture it this way. A wood base holding a vertically mounted broom handle with a coffee can hooked to the side of the broom handle near the top. Passing through the coffee can was a Styrofoam ring with a hard plastic coating.
A hole in the top and bottom of the coffee can is where the ring passed through the coffee can, and the bottom had a thin rubber seal made from soft latex rubber.
There was a bar across the top with a rod sticking down and a couple of guide pulleys to keep the ring from wobbling or getting off track so to speak.
The coffee can is filled with water, so the Styrofoam would float causing the ring to spin.

Heck, if you try to hold a swimming noodle under water, it flies right up right.
Form it into a ring and it will still try to raise up if you hold the other edge of the ring under water. But it won't spin because the whole thing is in the water. So, if you eliminate the water from one side of the ring, it should spin merrily round and round.

Why didn't it?

Answer below...

The weight of the water on the latex seal increased the friction of the rubber against the ring in proportion to the amount of lift the water had against the ring.

The same principle applies to certain types of long-arms used for lifting objects from a shelf. Not the cheap dollar tree models with a trigger grip, but those which have a long grip lever which adjusts the hold to the weight of the item being lifted. The old wood and metal type of long-arms, where you could lift a soft paper box without smashing the box, or a heavy cast iron pot without dropping it from the jaws.
Icey

Post by Icey »

:eek: Why on earth would you do that experiment in the first place?? :worry:
Last edited by Icey on 09 Oct 2015, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I loved to tinker and try things to see what would happen.
I probably tried more different experiments than their are needles on a pine tree.
Some of them paid off, some of them just proved why something wouldn't work that way, so I tried another way.

I've had a decent lifestyle from those experiments that eventually panned out.
In fact, the little bit of income I have from one of those experiments, has at least paid my normal recurring bills for the last twenty years.

I was able to retire at age 55 with just enough income to get by until social security kicked in. I didn't expect it would be cut to less than half of what I should have been getting, so this has posed a struggle for me to stay one step ahead of the bills, especially when you add medical expenses to the outgo...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary.

What a lovely description - "I probably tried more different experiments than their are needles on a pine tree." LOL! Good one.

I think your experimental era was fabulous, but don't necessarily see how they came about. I couldn't understand why you experimented with the foam ring in the first place, because nothing like that'd ever enter my poor simple brain. I'm sure you had your reasons though, and this proves what an inventive, creative person you are.

I'm sorry to hear that your money was cut to less than half. Are you sure they have your claim correct? I say that, because over here, no one's actually advised on what they can claim for, and because of it, literally millions of pounds're standing idle - apart from the interest which the government receives from it - but people're entitled to far more than they often know about. They have ads up, telling folk to check out their entitlements, but when people phone up, the lines're either engaged or you're put on hold for a long time, at premium rates.

Applying online's no better; probably worse. The way they list what you can apply for, but not if you're in receipt of ... this and that ... it baffles people. There are too many caveats and the jargon's not always easy for folk to understand. In the end they give up, and I'm sure that's what these departments hope for!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Dealing with government, no matter what the laws say they must do, they always have a dozen or more loopholes that let them work outside the laws and regulations.

I'm dealing with an issue with government right now where they have continually violated the law, but they have an excuse, and blame me for their not having to abide by the law.
If the Statute gives them 15 calendar days to complete something, and thirty days later they still have not completed it, despite several phone calls with info they requested, they always have some loophole or excuse.

It works like this, they blame you for something, but won't tell you what it is you are supposed to have done.
And this is where they trap you. If you say you didn't do it, then they will wait until ten or more days have elapsed, and finally say they will send you a card they can use for verification. They will wait a week and a half before sending the card, so now they are waiting on you to respond with the card which takes at least a week to make an appointment with the person who handles doing what the card requests.

In other words, it is impossible to obtain the info and get it back to them within 30 days.
At the end of thirty days, the appeal expires and you have to start the whole process all over again.

So the 15 day statutory time frame they have to work in is extended indefinitely as long as they can dump some task on you to handle for them. I learned it is up to them, not up to me, for them to do their job.
So, when I started the cycle over again, I won't say a single word. Then we'll see if at the end of 15 calendar days if they followed the law, or if they come up with another excuse not to.
Either way, it will be over 45 days they have not complied with the law.

Since they are the ones who enforce the laws against government agencies, you are SOL as far as getting them to enforce the law on themselves...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I hear you Gary. Some of our appeals take much longer than that, although the departments usually DO reply to you - eventually.

Over here, they look at each appeal, claim or whatever, and take it from the date of your application. So long as it's sent within their stipulated time limit, they deal with it, but getting back to you's so long-winded that folk sometimes forget what they were writing for, and this's why we have to hang onto copies of everything forwarded to these departments, as proof of filling them in. If you're sensible, you also send anything back through the mail via special delivery, which means that they have to sign for the envelopes as they arrive. That covers the claimant - or should do. On two occasions, a certain department told me that they didn't receive what was sent in, despite the fact that I showed them proof of sending some paperwork. This'd obviously been received at their end, but'd somehow got "lost or mislaid" en route to the officers who were designated to deal with these things. By then, the date'd expired, but because I held proof of postage (even though some of these occasionally get lost as well), they hadn't a leg to stand on.

Months after sending them a very disgruntled letter, I heard from them. They apologised for the delay, and said "Please find enclosed cheque for ..." several thousand pounds. I was delighted of course, but why had this matter taken so long, and why do they try and palm folk off with rubbish excuses for their own mistakes? I think they hope that people'll get fed up and go away, but they picked on the wrong person here. I was prepared to go to as much trouble as possible to get back money which was legitimately owed to me. Thankfully, I did, but I've had to help other people out with similar problems, when the matter should've been straight-forward in the first place. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Why should the INNOCENT be punished for LIFE with a permanent record, while the GUILTY CRIMINALS, in many cases, can get their records wiped clean?

Now let's stir the pot here a bit. The FBI says someone who was never convicted only needs to submit a form, best handled by an attorney, because any error forfeits the processing fee, each time.
Every attorney will cite several laws which state a specific group of Convictions which can be expunged. But there are no provisions for expungement if you were never charged.

Also, an arrest record is a permanent record and cannot be expunged, regardless of whether or not charges were filed, the case dropped, or dismissed.
Normally, when a case is dropped, no charges filed, or it is dismissed, a letter of Final Disposition is included on your record. Sounds good until you hear the next law. Any case wherein there was no conviction or hearing, all records shall be destroyed after one year has elapsed. Note: This does not include the arrest records, only the necessary documentation to show the case was abandoned.

See the problem here? The Final Disposition proving your Innocence is DESTROYED after one year, but the arrest remains on your record for LIFE. A background check turns up this arrest with no Disposition associated with it, which means it is classified as an "open" case. The fact the statute of limitations to file a charge is only three years, and the record is 50 years old, has no bearing on the current case. As far as the record goes, it is considered "open."

You can pay an attorney around two-thousand five-hundred bucks to have a new Final Disposition added to your file, but by law, in one year, it will be DESTROYED. So it sounds to me like a way the government has ensured attorneys get a two-thousand five-hundred dollar annual fee to keep your record up to date.

From what I understand, there is only one person in the entire state where your record is kept who can do anything about it, but he too must follow the written laws. He cannot give a Pardon, since no charges were filed. He CAN have the record Sealed to everyone except law enforcement. The FBI and State BI's are considered law enforcement, so will still see the record, and your back in the same boat all over again.

There really is something WRONG with a System where those who truly are Innocent, must live under LIFELONG PERSECUTION, while those who are GUILTY, the Real Criminals, have many ways to get their records Expunged.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I agree with you Gary, that having something on record, even if that person isn't convicted, can hang around and cause a lot of problems for people.

Over here, if your charges were dismissed, stayed or withdrawn, or did not result in a conviction then you won't have a criminal record. However, even if the charges didn't result in a conviction, your personal information is still on the RCMP system. You can request that this information be destroyed (known as a File Destruction Request) through your arresting police station, but many people don't know about that, and so they forget the incident and then find that their non-crime catches up with them at a later date.

I find this unfair, but in the UK, to have your information removed doesn't necessitate paying for a lawyer, so that's a SLIGHT blessing! : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

All of this only adds to the fact that our government and its poly-TICK-ians are all crooked as a dogs hind leg.
It trickles down from the poly-TICK-ians to the top law enforcement agencies, and continues to trickle down to the beat cop who thinks they are above the law.

You would not believe the number of excuses I've received over the past month and a half of WHY our State Bureau of Investigation does not have to apply with our State Constitution, Statutes and Regulations which govern their department. Each and every time they try to turn the tables from doing their job to placing it on the victims shoulders to handle, when the Statutes clearly state it is up to THEM to do those tasks. The victim of their abuse can HELP, if it speeds up the process, but lending HELP should not stop the process they are supposed to complete.

Three of the four out-state attorneys I've worked with so far have dropped out, saying there is nothing they can do. The last one is still looking for a way to correct the mess caused by automatically deleting final disposition records every year.

Down here in this state, I've talked to over a dozen attorneys so far. Not a single one has the courage to go against the gubmint for violating state statutes for fear of losing their license by biting the hand that feeds them. Either that or they have ties to the gubmint which prevents them from handling cases not assigned to them by gubmint.

I do have one from another state, licensed to work in this state, who, if they fail to process my paperwork properly within the SECOND 15 day time period I've given them, has a whole other angle up his sleeve. Not going after the gubmint, but going after the specific employee for I think he said Malice and something else. He's already handled something like 20 other cases just like mine and won every one of them. But that still does not help get my record clean for the next go around on the same issue.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Really sorry to hear that you're having all this trouble Gary. I hope someone DOES get it sorted out for you though, but it's very difficult to fight government departments and win. I was incredibly lucky to get back the money which was owed to me, but not everyone's been as successful when trying to do the same thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm quickly learning, I'm not rich enough to afford the steps necessary to get the arrest record, which cannot be removed, changed to read something else less incriminating. This can cost anywhere from 8 to 30 thousand dollars, depending how many hoops they have to jump through to get it.

Almost anything I can do to be heard will make the matter worse in the long run. You push, they push back with mega-force.

There is an alternative method which won't get anything cleared up, but keep them busy shuffling my paperwork around twice a month every month for as long as I make them do it. All I have to do is pay my 15 bucks twice a month and request a purchase permit. As soon as they give me one, I pay 15 bucks again and request another one, and keep this going twice a month. I really can't afford to waste 30 bucks a month doing that, but after the runaround they've given me, I'm tempted to do so. I'm thinking eventually they will add a permanent note to my file to save them from redoing all the paperwork twice a month, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well I don't understand what that means (a purchase permit?), but does this supposed "crime" you've committed affect your daily life? If not, I'd forget it. I wouldn't feel like paying $30 a month for something that might be unnecessary.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now that I know about it Icey, I can look back over my life and pick several circumstance where it may have had a huge affect. Job promotions to upper management that were considered shoo-ins which suddenly turned around 180 degrees.
When I owned restaurants and we wanted to serve wine, and several licenses to do so were open for grabs, we were denied.
I had completed the necessary courses for a certain job, and even though they had three or four positions open, I was continually turned down.
Trouble is, they would never disclose the reason, just that I did not meet certain qualifications required for the job. I knew this was bogus because I knew those who did manage to get the jobs offered.

It could also possibly explain why, before moving south, I was promised they would reciprocate on all of my trades licenses, then after I made the move, they would not reciprocate on a single one.

I was turned down for a Real Estate license during the peak of my general contracting career, and later as an independent mortgage broker. Again, the exact reason for the denial is never given.

Currently, they still would not give the exact reason, but they at least gave me the source simply as my Background Check on NICS turned up an association to a Felony. With no disposition on file, it is considered open.
The fact there was a three year statute of limitation on being charged, and that I was never charged with a crime, has no bearing on the matter. If no disposition is on file, you are considered GUILTY AS CHARGED...
FWIW: Dispositions are Automatically Deleted after One Year, but the Arrest Record Remains Forever.
Unless you were a Convicted Felon and then you might be able to get your record expunged. The Innocent or never charged CANNOT get the arrest record expunged. So being Innocent of the Crime is more devastating than being Guilty.
Icey

Post by Icey »

:sad: I'm so sorry. That seems really unfair.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm pulling this back on topic.
The frau picks up these little solar dancing toys from dollar tree from time to time for a buck, they only work during the daytime, so have no storage capabilities.
Yesterday she stopped by big lots who has the same toys for triple the price, but she found an LED strip light in their Christmas decoration stuff. She grabbed the only white one, as all the rest on the shelf were red or green. It was only 7.99 almost ten bucks with tax, hi hi...
Talk about a surprise when we opened it. If they had more of them, I would have run back and bought every single one.
It came with a 2-1/2" x 4-1/4" solar panel in a frame with lock down type suction cup to place on a window, plus a dusk to dawn sensor to turn the lights on at dark and off in the morning.
A fine wire cable runs from it to the storage unit, which is like a battery pack of sorts, don't know if it has batteries inside or if it uses capacitors for storage, in any case the little box is sealed. Eight feet of the fine wire runs from it to the 16" long strip-light. Rather than self-stick pads, it uses those anchor anywhere tabs with the pull strip to put them up or take them down. These little pull strips by themselves normally cost more than she paid for this whole kit.
The strip light itself has 7 bright LED lamps. It has no on and off switch though.
We set it up around 10:30am or should I say put up the solar panel at that time, and it was after 11am when we affixed the LED part under the kitchen cabinet by her main work area near the stove.
This is hardly enough time for it to build up a full charge, however, when I was up just before six for my middle of the night tinkle break, I saw a light coming from the kitchen and went to turn it off. This little strip light was still shining brightly. Which sorta indicates the little tan box is a battery pack and was fully charged. I consider it a great buy!
It is for indoor use only, although I don't see why, everything is sealed. Now I want more of them, hi hi...