[split] old greek dude [The Universe]

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

[split] old greek dude [The Universe]

Post by Kellemora »

Since Pil brought up the big bang.

For decades since the theory was brought forth, everyone assumed, if something went bang and exploded per se, it would have occurred like a ball, going outward in all directions from the point of the big bang.

We now know such is not the case. The assumed point where the big bang took place, the center of everything, it turns out not to be the center, but the end with nothing behind it.
Think of it like a megaphone or flashlight beam.
Everything emanates in only one direction from the point where they consider the big bang took place.

True, everything is moving away from this point, and the beam continually expanding, but it is only happening in one direction. Almost like a flashlight reflector focusing the beam of light in one direction.

Outside of this beam where all matter is contained, there is nothing, absolutely nothing.
So the universe is not an expanding orb as we though, but a large cone, like a megaphone in the vastness of space.
Icey

Re: old greek dude

Post by Icey »

But we don't know that there's nothing "outside of the beam" do we?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We didn't even know it was like a beam until the satellite reached the edge.
Remember all the controversy about what may happen when it did reach the edge, as it was nearing same a couple of years ago?
I don't have very many details, just what info was put up on the NASA website last month.

My only point in bringing it up at all was to say the scientists now say although our universe is expanding, it is not expanding in global fashion, but in longitudinal fashion. Something they have suspected for a long time, since the distance between objects in space are not moving horizontally away from each other as fast as they are longitudinally. Until this discovery, they assumed the circular expansion was the reason.

The chart they showed on the NASA website showed all the bodies within a cone, with nothing existing outside this cone.
When you think of how big a galaxy is, and how many galaxies we know about, and their speed of travel away from the center of the universe, finding nothing outside of a defined area which was not round as they thought, but cone shaped, has many of them scratching their heads for sure. They didn't reach the edge of the universe, they merely reached the edge of the cone and can see nothing exists beyond it.

I'll try to find the image again, but finding anything twice on their website after other things take its place is daunting to say the least. Millions if not billions of images are available to look at.

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Interesting, that's for sure.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I can't find the original NASA photo, but this is a copy of it.

It doesn't do the NASA image justice at all. Because it doesn't have all the notations found on the NASA image.
But close enough to give you the idea of what I had talked about.

I was taught the universe was round, because everything we knew at the time was based on round things.
They knew as far back as 2004 round was wrong, our universe was more trumpet shaped.
Now that satellites have made it to the edge of the universe, they can see our universe in much the same way we can now see the individual galaxies and their relationship to each other.

TTUL
Gary
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

it still hurts my poor peabrain trying to grasp an idea of the universe being whatever shaped. how can it be finite - or infinite? shaped?

and why can't I grasp it?

:think: :think: :think: :rolleyes: :think: :eek: :think:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hmm, I came up with a totally different question upon learning about this.

Just as we know about the many different galaxies within our own solar system.
Now that we know our own universe is also like a capsule in space.
Could their be OTHER universes out there somewhere too?

There was a time when we only know about our own Milky Way galaxy.
As we could peer further into space, we learned of other galaxies and solar systems.
All expanding ever outward from a central point, which we assumed was globular shaped.

Now that we know all of the galaxies and solar systems we can see, even though it is expanding continually, it is still within a confined space with shape and form.
Everything outside our universe is still empty, as far as we can see anyhow.
So with this new information, how far does the emptiness go before we find another universe floating around out there.

Makes us wonder, are we just a piece of dust in a box on the top shelf of a closet in something so large we cannot see or grasp the vastness of it all.
When a sunbeam shines in our window, we can see little particles floating in the air.
On one of these tiny particles could be a bacteria which only lives for lets say two minutes.
Its entire life is spent floating around on that single piece of microscopic dust.
Is it aware of its surroundings? Does it know there is another room outside of the room it is in?
Does it know sometime after it dies, its home particle of dust may settle on your new black glass tabletop?
Are we much different, floating around in space, as that little bacteria on a dust particle?

Since the Hubble Telescope, we have some really cool images, where as we zoom away from earth in the image, it becomes smaller and smaller and smaller until our little piece of dust is no longer visible.
Just something to think about!
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

ok, if we are trekking away from... something, does this not mean that we are moving away from our neighbour planets as well?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You're right Pil. Planets in orbit around their respective suns normally stay in orbit, unless something knocks them free.
But the suns or solar systems are getting further apart. Faster in one direction, slower horizontally to each other. When it was thought they we spreading as fast as reaching outward from a central point.

I sorta like the idea of placing transmitters and possibly cameras on the asteroids as they pass. But according to the newly found discoveries, they do not pass outside of the cone into empty space, they have their own orbits within the expanding confines of this cone.

I think it is amazing we now know our universe is a place in what we considered deep space, and empty space lies beyond our own universe. Makes me wonder if there are other universes out there.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

like Pratchett's "multiverse"...

what about parallel ones?
Icey

Post by Icey »

:eek:

I think we ARE like specks of dust, or to put it in context, like grains of sand on a beach. I believe that there're multiple universes, and parallel ones? Why not?

Maybe the space we move around in's like cells in our bloodstream, and could that huge giant of a whole, be what folk call god?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

but the way you're referring to that 'giant' isn't quite what most gods are sold as: a thinking being.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I'm actually thinking of a living entity hun, but so big that we can't visualise it. If every celestial body was like the cell in a human body, think how huge the "whole'd" have to be to make up its entirety. Ancient artefacts suggest that the gods were seen as giants. It just makes you wonder.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

hmmm... well, yes, but it still doesn't jive with my idea of an overseer type of entity...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I find I struggle with the idea myself, but all it is's just one train of thought. I'd love to see signs of life as we could appreciate it, on other planets, because if we're the only intelligent-thinking beings ANYWHERE, then ... why, and how?
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

i'd question the 'intelligent' part. perhaps 'self-aware'?
Icey

Post by Icey »

I think you're right.
AJRC

Post by AJRC »

I've never believed we all came from Africa, life had to have come from other places as well. Maybe this skull proves that.

As for life else where in the universe, have a look at this picture.

It shows 1,500 galaxies! This was made possible by allowing the Hubble Space Telescope to stare at the same tiny patch of sky for 10 consecutive days. If there are 1,500 galaxies just in one tiny patch of sky, think how many are actually out there. Then think about the possibility of life on another world. Think about it, we can't be the only ones among the millions of other worlds out there. It might not be life as we know it, but life all the same.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There are many planets we know about that fall into the possibility zone for life as we know it. Worlds very similar to ours, with the appearance of water. I don't think we've gotten close enough yet to determine if they have plant life or not.
But when you think of all the thousands of galaxies out there, I feel it is quite egotistical to think we are the only planet with sentient life forms on it.
I know the bible thumpers say we are the only one, although I've never found anything in the scriptures stating same. Our bible only applies to us and our planet. It does mention their are others not of this fold, which could almost mean anything. That phrase could just as easily mean, their are others not of this solar system, galaxy, or even universe. All we know for certain is their are others besides us.

When you consider the very short time in which our technology has advanced, radio, TV, etc. within our own lifetimes, we are talking about only about 100 years out of thousands or millions, or possibly even billions of years. In other words, we are only here during the blink of an eye in comparison to such long time frames.
Other life forms on other planets may be behind us by thousands of years, or ahead of us by thousands of years, their blink of the eye may be past, present, or still in the future. But I don't doubt they are out there!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Nor me. It seems almost ridiculous to think that we're on our own.

If you study the Mars pictures that NASA allows us to see, even there, it strikes me that there're fossils of life forms. Living life forms might even still be there, residing underground or something. We just don't know for sure, but I think the space agencies know more than they're prepared to let on. WHY'S another matter. I think most of us now accept that it'd be fantastic to find proof of life other than our own, but if this happens, I hope that we don't show the aggression that man's so fond of displaying on our own planet. : (