[split] Pizza Pi Day

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

[split] Pizza Pi Day

Post by Kellemora »

I've touched on Pi many times when I talk about Pizza Shops who SCAM their customers out of most of the pizza they are paying for. 3.14 is close enough to calculate how much they are cheating you by not filling the topping to the edge.
Icey

Re: Pi Day

Post by Icey »

Yes, but you don't consciously think of pi when you see a pizza do you?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do, because I won't accept one where they shorted the topping diameter.
The pizza shops I buy from know this up front and always make sure I get what I pay for, sorta.
They may short the individual ingredients to make up for spreading others to the edges, hi hi...
Most though, after they learn I used to own a pizza shop, don't try to short my orders.
I've actually saved a few of them a few bucks by teaching them some tricks I learned, and they hadn't picked up on them yet. Since they are mostly chain stores these days, I'm surprised they don't teach presentation classes to new franchisees. Maybe they do and the workers are just to lazy to make them appear more appetizing. They just schlock the ingredients on as fast as they can in any way they happen to land.

Technically this does take longer, because then they have to readjust a few of the ingredients they just placed.
I was taught the eight line twenty-four point system, which insured every pizza had the correct ingredient weight.
This was for each ingredient when you pay for extra toppings individually. We never shorted a customer.
A two topping pizza where all topping are included in the price, the customer is not getting extra ingredients for free exactly. On a two topping pizza we used the four line twelve point system, TWICE, once for each ingredient.

Maybe if I worded it this way. If you ordered a fixed price pizza, the price did not change regardless of the number of toppings you selected. Neither did the overall weight of all the ingredients combined. If you ordered a two topping pizza, each topping weight was cut in half, so combined they equal the same weight, sorta, we used different amounts of different toppings, but the customer was never cheated on weight.

If you ordered a pizza where you paid for each topping individually, you got the specified weight for that topping on your pizza, so the overall weight of the pizza was that of the extra toppings you ordered.

Since all of our ingredients were added by weight units of each topping, if a pizza was not filled to the edge, the customer was still not shorted weight wise, but may feel they are visually. So we always filled the topping to the size shown on the size chart. Unlike most pizza shops, a 14 inch pizza at our place used a 15 inch crust with the edges raised.

We were also a Franchise, and when the corporation changed the sauce formula, we knew it was curtains for the company. We tried doctoring their new sauce and they said they would pull our franchise if we continued to do so. I put the place up for sale, and got out from under it before the company did collapse. It was Cebo Pizza! Started out great, then went downhill like a ton of bricks after they cheapened their ingredients.
Icey

Post by Icey »

:thud:

Pizzas're obviously priced differently over there than they are in the UK. There're places which sell them for a set price - say a 10" one for $5. 30. That includes your base, the tomato sauce and cheese. You can add another 4 toppings (any - onion, mushroom, pepperoni, peppers, spicy chicken etc., and it's still the same price.

Ordering a home delivery of a pizza can work out expensive though, but we don't bother with those. We don't eat many full-stop, or I make them, but now and again, if the boys fancy one and I haven't got the stuff in, someone'll nip down to the supermarket and pick one up.

I never, ever, think of pi when I see one though!! :razz:
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

well, that was interesting... when I have pizza, i'm usually too hungry to pay much attention to where my pineapple has landed, but now i'll take a look for sure.

thanks. I think. :lol:

the only edible pizza around here for pick up is dominoes in carcassone. it's not great, but the store bought ones look come out like cardboard and taste same. lots of villages have a pizza truck, but we've not found one we like that much.
Icey

Post by Icey »

The supermarket ones which I buy occasionally aren't the pre-boxed, pre-packed ones that're put out on the shelves. They're made there and then, and sold from the deli counter along with salads which you help yourself to.

I've never eaten a Dominoes pizza, although we have them over here. I only like the deep pan ones anyway. The thin crusted ones ARE like cardboard. No ... they ARE. : )
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

the best is still home made. but a lot of work for such a quickly swallowed food.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We have so many different types of pizza over here, and so many options for each, you almost need a directory to keep track of them all.
Just the crusts themselves have many different ones, New York style, Chicago Style, Pan, Deep Dish, Thin and Crispy, Thin and Soft, Thick, Extra Thick, Rolled, Tossed, Formed, Round Square, Rolled and Sealed, and probably several more. Almost forgot the continuous long pizza you buy by the foot or yard.

Then there are many different base toppings, beginning with the types of sauces used. Everything from plain tomato sauce to seasoned, to mild or hot spices, and even various salsa bases are used. Your option on different cheeses, etc.
Most chain pizza parlors use the same base ingredients. But when you get down in the little Italy section of most towns, the style and type of pizza can vary greatly.

The frau picked up two pizza's a week ago from the west end area, one was a steak pizza for me, the other an Hawaiian pizza for her. This particular place uses like a sweet duck sauce on their Hawaiian pizza, a sauce you normally associate with Chinese restaurants for dipping egg rolls in. It is really a great pizza, pineapple and other fruit toppings. But if she drives that far to get one, they have the most awesome steak pizza, so I always opt for the steak pizza, since we go that way so seldom.

One last thing about pizza, the different temperatures used in the ovens also makes a big difference in how a pizza turns out. We actually have a few coal fired pizza oven places who run those ovens at or over 700 degrees F. Cooked at this temp, not only are they fast, but have a whole different taste than one cooked in a 500 degree F oven.
Plus you can use meats in a 700 degree oven you cannot cook properly in a lower temperature oven. The steak pizza is one example. The meat would be as tough as shoe leather if cooked at a cooler temperature. So the only places who dare try to make steak pizza's are those with coal fired pizza ovens.
Don't worry, the coal fire part of the oven is separate from the baking chamber the pizza's are place in.

Oh, we also have wood fired pizza places where the wood smoke does pass through the pizza oven, so this produces yet another interesting taste. If you like hickory smoked pizza that is, hi hi...

Whatever gimmick a store may come up with to attract customers, is the gimmick they will try.
Icey

Post by Icey »

You're quite right Vikki, and in this instance, you can't blame anyone for buying a pizza instead of making it themselves.

Yes Gary, you can get all sorts now. I personally found the best ones come from old-fashioned ovens where the pizzas're cooked on stone slabs which have a fire going beneath them. Beautiful tasting, and not burnt at all.

I'm not really one for pizzas with meat on them, or pineapple. I like both, but not cooked in that form.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My favorite pizza was from a mom n pop shop back home.
Whatever she did they were always perfect.
She used whole slices of cheese, never shredded, and mixed like three types together.
Never skimped on the sauce either.
It was not uncommon for folks to order a No Topping pizza from her, because the base pizza was awesome.

This is going to sound gross, but it was delicious. Perhaps to make it sound better, rather than saying potato crust, I should call it a huge potato pancake, smothered in ground beef and gravy.
She made real mashed potatoes, then after adding a few eggs, rolled it out like a thick pizza crust.
Her ground beef was sorta like sloppy joe's, with it's own beef gravy instead of tomato sauce. It was delicious by itself.
She used an iron skillet pizza pan with a touch of oil, to cook the potato pancake crust, with a little bit of cheese, then added the beef topping after it was removed from the oven. It was almost like a Shepherds Pie without the vegies mixed in. Not really a pizza, but one of her best selling items.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Sounds good! I probably wouldn't be able to eat a whole one though. So in a way, the "pizza" base was kind of like a potato waffle?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It was good, but think of the carbs, hi hi...
I mentioned before, when I buy a Shepherds Pie, designed as a single serving, it makes four dinners for me.
The time before last we drove out to this restaurant, the family sitting next to us put down enough food, it would have supplied us for an entire month.
One young kid, I would say under age 15, and double the size he should be, inhaled two of their larger size burgers, a whole order of pan fries, two drinks, and still had room for pie with ice cream for dessert.
When I see this, the only thought that comes mind is Child Abuse. But then I look at the parents, both tipping the scales at 350 to 400 or more pounds, teaching their kids to eat themselves into obesity, and actually promoting their overeating lifestyle.

Many years ago, we had a few restaurants who weighed kids to determine how much they were charged. It really had nothing to do with weight, as much as a greater discount off the kids menu for younger age kids.
Nobody ever complained about them doing this, because the menu price was really based on age anyhow.

A group of guys got together and opened a buffet restaurant, and even named it appropriately, "By the Pound."
There was a scale at the register for each customer to stand on. The weight was not displayed to the public, and we learned it was not displayed to the cashier either. You step on the scale and it calculated your cost for the meal in Dollars and Cents.
There was not that much of a price difference between a lightweight and a heavyweight, but just enough all the heavyweights complained about being overcharged for what they ate.
They got the city involved and a law passed making it illegal to charge a customer by how much they weighed.
The slick owners promptly based their prices on the heaviest customer they ever served, which almost doubled their prices and really hurt the thinner guys dining there, but by the same token, all the heavy sets who did the complaining found their food now cost a lot more too. So the same ones who did the complaining wanted to go back to being weighed to get the cheaper price, but unfortunately, it was now illegal to do so.
The sold the business to chain buffet company and opened a different type of restaurant where everything was ala carte, no dinner deals, and they were still in business and doing well when I moved south.
Icey

Post by Icey »

I don't think it's fair to charge for a meal by the weight of a person. A huge guy could've just gone in for a salad, for instance. I'd find it offensive to know that I'd paid more or less for the same meal that friends'd eaten as well.

Al a carte meals work out expensive over here, especially in the decent restaurants, where they charge exorbitant prices for small portions, but then again, they usually offer food of a far better quality than you'd find in a fast-food bar or café. It depends on what the customers want.

I know what you mean about being seated next to very large people who have equally-large children. They rarely seem to eat "good" food, but shovel down chips and other fattening stuff instead. It's so unfair on the kids, who get used to this type of food and just grow bigger like their parents. However, sometimes fat adults have a medical problem which increases their weight rapidly, and this's only really just being looked into over here. Excessive amounts of food WILL generally make a person overweight, particularly if they eat it on a regular basis, but as they see their offspring following in the same manner, you'd expect them to realise and do something about it wouldn't you? By not caring, it IS a form of child abuse, but if you notice, these very large people always make excuses for themselves - they've "always been big-boned", it runs in the family, they only eat "small amounts" and can't understand it .... anything but admit that they're obese and killing themselves and their families.

So saying, there're many factors to take into consideration, and I don't think it's fair to ostracise these folk just because they aren't wafer-thin. That can signify problems as well, and we find more and more cases of anorexia springing up. I believe that both parties need understanding and personal help. Over-eating often stems from feeling bad about oneself. Psychological problems can lead to comfort eating, and then before you know it, these people give up and don't care any more. The same goes for very thin folk. I don't think the media helps at all. You see pics of super-slim models and guys with washboard stomachs, and this leads youngsters into believing that they should be the same. Both can look quite hideous in the flesh, but people need educating about how to try and keep a reasonable weight, and to accept themselves as they are.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My late wife was heavy, and also had a thyroid condition which didn't help.
But even she said quite plainly, in order to maintain BULK, you MUST eat in Bulk.
And this was after she cut back to less than half of what she normally ate for years.
She wasn't a closet either either, but would starve if she didn't get as much as she needed to maintain her bulk.
Once you've allowed your body to build up all those fat cells, they will not go away, and always be craving.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Yes, bigger people often stretch their stomachs so that smaller portions never fill them up, but what happens Gary, is that their eating habits wreck their metabolism. Everything's affected - enzymes, and thus hormones, and this can be very difficult to rectify without doing something drastic like having a gastric band fitted. Even then, it's not the end of their problems. They still have to educate themselves to eat better. It's not just portion size, it's WHAT they eat as well.

When larger people complain of feeling "starving", they're not, but their condition makes them feel as such. It'd be dangerous to suddenly cut down to the amount which a slim person might eat, but that's where hospital nutritionists come in. I used to have an enormous best friend. She weighed just over 434 lbs. She finally went into hospital as an in-patient, and for 12 weeks was kept on a fitting diet. She lost a load of that weight, but it caused other problems, like huge blisters coming up on her legs and stomach. When she finally went home, she looked and felt much better, but over a relatively short space of time, her weight increased again. She didn't want salads and "healthy stuff". Her taste buds craved the chips, burgers, pies and crisps which she'd had before. She refused to listen to anyone, and finally died after her 5th heart attack. It was terrible.
pilvikki

Post by pilvikki »

one thing that bugs me is the lack of the medical profession's looking into allergic addictions. same as a heroin addict, someone with a yeast allergy can become addicted to yeast. and once they discover beer f ex....

so, now the person is treated for alcoholism, yet the underlining yeast addiction is overlooked.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: [split] Pizza Pi Day

Post by Kellemora »

I agree Pil!

I also wonder what they are adding to our foods that cause so many to become allergic to things.

Or I could word it as what clogged up the hole to cause allergies to become so dominant.
The hole theory is based on exposure limits before one becomes allergic to something.

One may not be allergic to something, until they are exposed to it so often, they cross their systems threshold of tolerance. Once that happens, the tolerance level drops sharply, so even mild exposure causes the allergy to flare up again. Which in turn lowers the threshold even further, until they are totally allergic to the allergen.

Theoretically, it should be possible to make a vaccine to build your systems threshold back up again. But the problem is, once you become allergic to something, it affects many other areas of your system and you become allergic to more things, all starting from the first allergic reaction reducing your overall immune system a little.

I would venture to guess the chemical companies are killing all of us off in little snippets here and their, probably in order to sell more chemicals to us to alleviate the symptoms of the chemicals they purposely dumped on us, so we would need to buy the antidotes, hi hi...
Icey

Post by Icey »

I don't think that the chemical companies're deliberately trying to poison us, but it IS a case of creating additives which make food and drinks last longer and taste "better", because it's all about feeding the hoards and making as much money as possible.

Unfortunately, I think we've been seeing some of the effects for years now, but no one's going to turn back. Having said that, more and more folk're becoming educated about these added chemicals, and're refusing to eat and drink stuff which has them in. We have a lot of certified organic companies springing up over here, and despite the products being a little more expensive, they're doing pretty well.

There are so many things which cause allergies, and not just in food and drinks, but also a few precautions you can take to lessen the chance of developing them.

"A two-year study of 334 adults with hay fever and 1,336 without found those who ate the most trans oleic acid (a form of monounsaturated fat found primarily in meat and dairy products) were nearly three times as likely to have hay fever as those who ate the least."

Believe it or not, door mats can hold a multitude of things which can cause allergic reactions - i.e. mites and dust, and these should be washed in hot water once a week. The same goes for clothing. Garments which can take a hot wash should be given one every week, and shoes and boots kept in a rack or cupboard above floor level.

I can't see a vaccine working very well, since it'd become ineffective after a while, like antibiotics've done.

Scientists've fund a genetic flaw which makes some people more susceptible to allergies. Perhaps further research into genetics may provide an antidote one day.

http://news.sciencemag.org/1997/12/mutation-allergies
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh - look at this! The Welsh want Pi Day as their own .....

Professor Gareth Roberts: 'Pi is Welsh'

Today is a date that only comes around once every 100 years. PI day is celebrated annually on 14th March, because the American formulation of the date “3/14” forms the first three digits of π, or pi, which is 3.14.
The Welsh Government is trying to adopt Pi Day for its own. Welshman William Jones became the first person to use the Greek letter π to represent Pi in 1706. The Welsh government wants to mark that with Pi Day Cymru.

Professor Sarah Hart is a lecturer at Birkbeck University who loves the symmetry in Pi: ‘You have the two simplest things you can measure, how long a circle is around the outside and how wide it is, you divide one by the other and you always get the same answer, Pi, and that’s not true of other shapes’.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had some strange anomalies regarding allergies in the flower business.
Family members who worked around mums their entire life, were never affected by them.
UNLESS, they performed a certain task with them over a five year period.

In the industry, we have those who plant, raise, water, and care for them until they are ready to be cut.
They are never affected from working around the mums.

At time of harvest, we have those who cut and carefully place them in bundles.
Toters who carry the bundles up to the cleaning area.
Cleaners who strip the lower leaves and place the mums in buckets.
And toters who bring the buckets down to the coolers, and/or place the bundles in buckets already in the coolers.

Only those who clean and strip the lower leaves, if they do so for around five years, will become allergic to mums.
Nobody else seems to be affected, unless they started out allergic to them.
It did not seem to matter if those five years were continuous, or off an on again over several years of handling the task of cleaning and stripping on an intermittent bases.

Once we learned of this phenomenon, we kept records of how many hours a person worked in the cleaning and stripping rooms, and after they crossed 1,000 hours, they were never again assigned to work in the cleaning rooms. An amazing thing happened, no one popped up with an allergy to mums afterward.
Well, almost no one. Those of us who used the mums in our daily work of floral arranging, wouldn't get an allergy per se, but get a certain type of hand rash. It was minimal as far as rashes go, but caused excess skin to grow in our finger joints. Staying away from the mums for about six months and it would clear up. But return almost instantly each time we handled mums. Something you cannot get away from in the industry, so we all had a type of glove we put on before picking up a mum or pompom.

We've had many people come to work for us in the greenhouses over the years who were highly allergic to greenhouses. Whether it was the plants, the pots, the soil, or the molds present in all greenhouses. Most did not know they had allergies until they started working for us, so blamed us for their allergies.
In later years, before we would hire someone to work in the greenhouses, we had a patch test performed by their doctor of choice at our expense. The results over a ten year period clearly showed the number of people with allergies was more than threefold greater between when we started, and when we closed our doors. Only like one in twenty-five applicants failed the patch test when we first started having it done. After ten years, it was more like six out of every twenty-five applicants failed the patch test. So something is causing folks to become more allergic to many things.