Two stars as one

This forum is currently archived and READ-ONLY
Icey

Two stars as one

Post by Icey »

Watch out for a rare event tonight folks, as Venus and Pluto appear to be one very bright star.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... t-sky.html

Will you be watching?
Icey

Re: Two stars as one

Post by Icey »

Well it wasn't happening last night, but tonight - yay! Really bright. : )
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's Venus + Jupiter. Pluto isn't visible with the naked eye.

Pluto, by the way, is a binary planet rotating around a common barycenter (center of mass) with Charon.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Sorry Yogi - I made a typo. I had Pluto on my mind!!
brandtrn
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by brandtrn »

Didn't get to see it. Unfortunately, we had a good bit of cloud cover...went outdoors on my breaks to look, but could see nothing with the clouds in the way :-(
"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
Icey

Post by Icey »

It was beautiful, but it's a miracle we could see anything either, being as though cloud covers the UK most of the time. It just so happened to've shown up in a clear night sky while the weather's been decent in these parts.
tomsk

Post by tomsk »

I was asleep...DOH!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Well we'll all be able to see the pics of Pluto that they'll be issuing soon. There was one in the news this morning, but apparently it takes about 25 minutes for the pics to get back to us. That's fantastic, considering how far away it is. The scientists and engineers've done really well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Also considering how old it and the technology is. Built back when engineers still considered quality an important aspect of their work.
I doubt if they could build something today which would last as long or perform as well!
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hi Gary! How's it going?

Yes, you're probably right. Things've moved on a lot since blast off, but I think the New Horizons craft's doing extremely well with what it's had to make do with. If everything continues to work though, their newest stuff might be based on the same design, with a few little extras thrown in for good measure.

This venture'll go down in history books. Dramatic? Yes. Brilliant? Absolutely. NASA've done well.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm glad it still works as well as it does.

We received HORRIBLE NEWS today from the Monopoly known a COMCAST.

They are discontinuing personal web pages.

Doesn't sound so bad until you figure in the THOUSANDS of hours and dollars poured into building each web site and promoting them.
Back when I made the move to Comcast (because it is our ONLY available high speed ISP here), they would not let me use my own Domain Names on the personal web space. I never planned on changing ISPs again anyhow, so I used their provided domain name of comcast.net for all of my web sites.

It takes a lot of effort to promote a web site, and over the years, I have every link placed on hundreds of websites to the comcast.net domain name.

Comcast was always very high priced compared to our services back home. They started me out at 29.95 per month for the first six months, then upped it to 55 dollars a month for about three years I guess, then it shot up to over 75 dollars a month and the cost rises about a dollar a month more every year.

My old ISP back home, the owners became millionaires charging only 9.95 per month, but even they eventually went up to 19.95 per month for T1 access, maybe it was T3, I don't remember anymore, but it was lightning fast, and I had to get a faster modem and router to use it. In other words, move from 10 up to 100 on my 10/100 lan.

Years of building up the following and links to my websites, updating from XHTML/CSS to HTML5, and then going Mobile Friendly, is all going down the tubes as the MONOPOLY Dictates an October 8th turn off date.

My only option now is to get a web site hosting service, see if my old domain names are still available and buy them back, and get my web sites up and running, and start all over at Ground Zero in building up my following again.
It will take thousands of hours just to update my links from web sites where I placed links. But like before, there will be ten years of dead links floating around on searches due to Comcast failure to provide adequate services.

Plus, I will still be stuck paying them for Internet Access since as I said, they are the ONLY cable Internet provider serving our area. The City Poly-TICK-ians get a kickback to keep other cable providers out.

I can't even go back to old 56k dial-up because we have no telephone lines capable of carrying even analog telephone calls here. I checked into Hughes Net once, and my cost to use them would be more than four times what my social security check is for. In other words, way over my head.

Without a 15mbps or faster Internet connection, I will have to quit my job, which is how I afford Internet in the first place. So, if I come up missing, you'll know why! The MONOPOLY Did Me In!

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh NOOOO!!! Gary, I'm sure that Yogi might be able to make some suggestions, but is this any good to you? I know they operate in the US as well as over here, and their charges're good (on the surface)!

https://uk.godaddy.com/deals2/default.a ... 220944%3as

This of any use????

http://www.maddogdomains.com/?gclid=CPO ... 17221943:s

:sad:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey

I've checked out several hosting services.
Sorta Ironic, the most suggested one, was the only one who did not respond to a live chat session after waiting for twenty minutes. All the others were under five minutes before they responded and answered my questions.

Comcast has excellent Internet speed and are rarely down, but they charge through the nose too. They KNOW they are our ONLY CHOICE here, so price accordingly. Double and triple of everyone else.

Right now, all I need is to get my domain name and a hosting service.
Which is also a Catch-22 situation. You need a website to register your domain name to, and you need a domain name to start a website. I've found a few places where I can 'park' a domain name while I set up a new website host.
I'm not checking for my old name until I'm ready to buy it and park it somewhere, because if you don't grab it right away, their are crooks out there who will grab every name searched for and not locked down. Been that route once before.

What happened with my original domain name?
Instead of getting it through an ICANN Registrar, I opted to get it through my ISP at the time. The sneaky devils registered it as their own, so when I moved south, I couldn't take it with me, unless I paid them big bucks to buy it from them. I was arguing with them about it when I learned Comcast would not let you use your own domain name, unless you had a 300 dollar per month commercial account with them. They approved my web sites as personal, but I had to use home.comcast.net as a part of the URL. I never planned on changing again, so didn't mind.

Now they sold out their ISP services to a 3rd party who does not have the equipment to handle everything Comcast was handling. So we are losing not only our web space, but several other things as well. I doubt if they will reduce how much they charge us each month, which is why I'm looking for affordable alternatives again.

Sure is messing up what I do each day right now too. I don't have the time to handle all this stuff right now.

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Oh dear. I hope we'll be able to carry on reading you, Gary. There must be something that can be done. I'm no good at stuff like this, and don't know which companies you might be able to use (or their prices), but there must be other people in your vicinity who're in the same boat. Have a word with Yogi and he may be able to suggest something privately that'll help. : (
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey
I used to have a Dial-Up as backup at my bank, but no longer own a dial-up modem, even though they still have the connection available. It is used with mainly with direct account credit card machines.
I checked with Hughes Net, a satellite internet provider, and the old satellite modem I own is no longer compatible since they separated Direct TV and Hughes Net.
I'll probably keep Comcast for my 30mbps connection, at least for the time being, but need to get my websites hosted.
Trying to understand how each work is more complicated than I ever imagined. Each has their own way of billing and what services they offer, which is all new lingo for me to study and understand.

I'll figure it out, I always do, hi hi... Although I may not be happy with the decision I make first.
I've talked to a few people who use web hosts I've never heard of. They are pleased with them, but, and you know there is always a but, hi hi... I need to find out a bunch of information about my existing web sites to know what I need from a new one, and I don't know how to go about finding out this information yet.
Prices I'm finding range from 20 bucks a month to only 10 bucks a year, for what appear to be the same services.
The 4 dollars a month range seems the most common, but also provides things I don't need. Ten bucks a year sounds a lot better, hi hi...

TTUL
Gary
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hello Gary. I hope you can can find something that's satisfactory. Have you tried asking these companies to send you info on their products, broken down into a way that you can understand? I'm sure they'd be only too pleased to try and get you to sign up for what they offer. Don't just disappear - let us know what happens!
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Hi Icey - I picked out the web host I plan to use. - In the process of rewriting a lead web page, since it works a little differently than Comcast did. - As far as an ISP goes, I'll be sticking with Comcast since they are the ONLY cable provider in our area. Connection has always been great, but grossly overpriced.
Icey

Post by Icey »

Hello you! Yes ... I read on the other forum where Yogi was trying to help you. Of course, it all went over my head, but you were obviously grasping it all.
More's the pity that these things cost so much eh? Whatever, if you can find something that suffices for now, it's better than nothing! Best of luck.
imhotep the 2nd

Post by imhotep the 2nd »

I occasionally enjoy looking up at the night sky, but only when I can't sleep.
Fascinating to see loads and loads of stars twinkling, and other brighter stars and planets too. On a rare night it's so cool to see a falling comet or meteor trail :smile:
Icey

Post by Icey »

Nature's awesome isn't it?