What Facebook Knows About You

Topics of substance for matters not categorized elsewhere.
Forum rules
Treat all the members of this web site with dignity and respect.
Keep posts' content in the context of a young adult viewable site.
Refrain from using excessive profanity.
Refrain from Post Whoring.
Respect the privacy of our forum participants.
Adhere to all applicable copyright laws.
Adhere to the rules of forum etiquette
yogi

Re: What Facebook Knows About You

Post by yogi » 14 Nov 2017, 06:51

That makes sense. Apple product users are often ostentatious. They can afford to pay for their sins.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 14 Nov 2017, 13:14

I don't doubt that one bit Yogi!
We often rent cars to go somewhere out of town.
Although I've not tried checking using Opera. I do know we find better deals using my Linux computer than she finds using her Windows computer, and that is from the same rental place we always use.
A couple of times we got to use a car for free because we were going to where they needed it to end up.
We still paid the gas of course, but the rental fee was waived if we rented it one way.
Then we would rent another round-trip to go where we intended going in the first place.
And after we got back from the round-trip we took the bus to get home from the closer destination.

yogi

Post by yogi » 14 Nov 2017, 14:31

There are indeed a lot of bargains out there if you know where to look. I understand, if you are lucky, you can upgrade to first class on an airplane that has empty space. It usually involves paying a little extra at the terminal gate, but I've also read about people who got the upgrade just for the asking. This last trip we made to SC was special. Usually you can't get me that far from home unless I'm flying there.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 14 Nov 2017, 17:08

didi's really good at sniffing out good prices, she once ferreted us a week at a resort in cuba for $1200, all inclusive, and that was for 3 adults and 3 wee kids.

me, not so much, i find the page set ups often infuriating and don't have the patience to keep going back and forth.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 15 Nov 2017, 13:55

I hear ya!
The frau went ahead and got a couple of weights, instead of a set.
She looked at several on-line also, and got different prices shown to her than were shown to me.
This got her POed big time, as they were all higher than the prices I jotted down on the note I gave her.

yogi

Post by yogi » 15 Nov 2017, 18:45

Next time I'm out bargain hunting on the Internet, I'm going to try the use of different browsers side by side trick. However, the next time I do that I will try it with the Tor (anonymous) browser and see what happens to the prices.

Kellemora

Post by Kellemora » 16 Nov 2017, 13:46

I've learned a lot since yesterday.
Some of which you already touched on.

Many big on-line dealers use what is called Dynamic Pricing...
And it does depend on which Browser you use, and your Browser History.
What Operating System you used, and especially what Zip Code you live in.
Dynamic pricing will adjust the price downward for lower income neighborhoods, and upward for higher class neighborhoods.
Plus they look at your previous shopping habits. Do you tend to look and not buy because of price?

The suggestions were to do your research using one computer and the actual buying of products from another computer.
Also, do a search using a different zip code to see if the price changes.
Use Incognito Mode with all cookies cleared to see what prices you get also.

Once I learned the words to search for "Dynamic Pricing" there is a lot of info out there regarding same.

pilvikki

Post by pilvikki » 17 Nov 2017, 05:17

dang! this is awesome info just before christmas!

squeaki needs a wee laptop, so i'll try to ferret out one that'll also work for her photography lessons, but won't put me into a poorhouse either...

rather different from my school supplies of pencil crayons and graph paper at the top. and wow! the kids were SO impressed with my fountain pen!

:facepalm:

yogi

Post by yogi » 17 Nov 2017, 08:23

I've not heard the term "dynamic pricing" before, but I have been familiar with the technique for a long time.

The Tor browser it totally anonymous. Being a Linux fan, you might look into using Tails, a totally anonymous OS as well. They all use proxy networks which end up coming from third world countries most of the time. Heck, you might end up not having to pay at all using the Tor/Tails combination. LOL