Egyptian Concrete

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Egyptian Concrete

Post by yogi »

That's how the pyramids were built, apparently. All those millions of tons of blocks were poured into place and not dragged over from a nearby quarry. There may still be a lot of unanswered questions about these masterpieces of architect, but at least now they think they know how they were built.

https://greekreporter.com/2023/08/11/sc ... alsciences
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Egyptian Concrete

Post by Kellemora »

I can believe that, and it does make a lot of sense. And possibly the reason the snow white facing wore off so fast. It had a different softer formula.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess the explanation in the article makes a lot of sense, but it STILL was a lot of work getting the materials to above ground points on the pyramid. They say 20 years to build it was a very short period of time, but I'm guessing they had thousands of slave laborers working 24/7. I'm not sure what that white overlay was, but I do agree it was not the same stuff as the building blocks.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I must have seen over 100 videos and read over 200 articles on how it was possibly done.
But this one makes the most sense of them all, considering the modern technology used to see inside the blocks themselves.

There are a couple of areas in New Mexico where building with Adobe was quite common.
But some of the early formulas used to make the bricks, those are still standing, while others years after them are in decay.
Modern studies of those earlier buildings showed that two of the ingredients used in them came from Colorado and middle Mexico. They are not found locally. So those ingredients had to be transported long ways also.

As far as the pyramids go, passing smaller size containers of the powder and blending it inside the pouring forms would have been a whole lot easier that bringing the wet premixed concrete up there. They had ways of lifting water fairly easily back then too, albeit, it took a while to move the water a little bit at a time, hi hi.

The white overlay was probably mostly quartz and calcium. Softer than the stone they poured.
Heck, it could have even been chalk.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Apparently Mexico and a few other Central American locations have pyramids still standing. There are over 100 in Egypt besides the famous one at Giza. I am not surprised that royalty would have chosen such things in which to be buried, but apparently it was more than a local custom in Egypt. Those pyramids in Mexico are slightly different but the idea is the same. How did such distant cultures happen to come up with the same ideas? It's interesting to speculate, for sure.

In Egypt the materials for the Giza pyramid came from quite a distance away, but they have that figured out too. Apparently back then there was a branch of the Nile that does not exist in today's world. They floated material down the river that was close by at the time. I've seen some of those adobe houses when I was a teenager. A lot of them were built into cliffs. How that material got to the building site is a good question, but nobody seems to care much about pursuing the matter. Egypt is much more interesting, I guess.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Water can be used to lift some of the heaviest of stones, up in the hundreds of tons if need be.
Videos showed how water could have been used in building the pyramids, plus many other methods.
But I like your poured concrete stone material article the best, and it makes the most sense too.

The pyramid shape is an interesting shape with all kinds of lore behind it. Some of it extraterrestrial, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Ancient Egyptians were big on the afterlife. Pyramids were intended to preserve and protect the bodies inside both here in the material world and in the spiritual world. I've seen some interesting ads selling pyramid tent-like structures for your back yard, or whatever. The idea behind those was attainment of some some form of enlightenment and healing by sitting inside. I guess in that sense a connection to aliens in some other world could be established. If I can find the ads again I will send them to you. They might help. You never know.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've seen them all, even bought one that was supposed to sharpen razor blades by setting them inside on a little pedestal, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I guess you and I had more than a few similar experiences. I recall those razor blade sharpeners but never tried to get one. I used an electric shaver for all my shaves, except for the first few times when I tried one of those Gillette double edge razors. I didn't like the idea of something that sharp dragging on my face, plus it was a lot of trouble dealing with shaving cream and aftershave, not to mention buying new razors all the time. Norelco had an electric shaver that impressed me and I've been using that brand all my life.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I use electrics also, but on Friday nights I used to shave with a razor and mug soap with brush, as a treat!
yogi

Post by yogi »

My uncle was a barber and he shaved people with mug soap and a straight razor. I watched him do it a few times and was duly impressed that such a thing could be done without mutilating one's face. The most amazing part of that process was stropping the blade on a leather strip. Why rubbing steel against leather works still remains a mystery to me. It's like people who use a steel rod to sharpen knives. That doesn't really hone anything. It does serve to straighten out an already sharpened blade. Having said that, the last town I lived in had a barber shop with a couple ladies from south of the border giving haircuts. They would use a straight razor to trim it off at the neckline and then apply a hot towel afterwards. THAT was luxurious.