46,000 year old worm

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

46,000 year old worm

Post by yogi »

This was too incredible for me to not pass it on. :thud:

https://i.imgur.com/pZTmT8A.mp4
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: 46,000 year old worm

Post by Kellemora »

WOW, but I can believe it!
I've seen fish frozen in ice in the winter and they managed to survive come the spring thaw.
They usually swim down deep so they don't freeze, but sometimes they get caught in shallow pools around the edge of the pond.
yogi

Post by yogi »

This nematode isn't quite as complicated as a fish and is easier to believe it could survive being frozen. I guess some insects, such as flies, even in today's modern world are built to survive winter temperatures by hibernating or some such thing. When the temperatures warm up again the flies just carry on as usual. So, why not worms too? But still, 46,000 years is a long time to be frozen.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It sure is!
And their some other amazing things I've seen.
A fly in a vacuum chamber was unharmed and flew off when the air was let back in.
Another, a fly again, in a microwave oven for two minutes few away unharmed. That one really surprised me.

My dad left a box of night-crawlers in the fridge, and somehow they got moved up to the freezer section.
They did not survive! But after letting them thaw out, we still used them as bait. The fish still liked them, hi hi.

Our electric went out last night around 7pm. One of the larger step-down transformers blew, and since it only served like 90 homes it was way down on the list to get done. We didn't see power restored until around 3:30am. I had enough O2 tanks I didn't run out. But sitting still in the dark, I could keep them turned way down. Only used up 4 tanks, which isn't bad.
It's just a good thing I had the extras. But now I'll have to order sooner than normal else I might run out before my delivery day.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That storm you experienced at 7 PM came rolling through O'Fallon around 3 PM. It didn't look too unusual on the weather map but they clocked some wind gusts at 70 mph. I was watching it all out my front window and it was beginning to get scary. The trees in front were bent at nearly 90 degrees and I could hardly see them 20 feet from my window. The rain came down that hard. The power went out a few times in a 15 minutes time span. It surprised me that it came back so quickly and I attribute all that to the new smart meters they installed along with the upgraded power grid. My UPS got a real workout, but I shut down the computers just to be safe. The Modem was up and down and so was the Internet and cable TV. It was quite an exciting storm.

After things cooled down a bit we opened the drapes and looked out the back windows to see our largest tree partly standing and partly laying on the ground. It had two trunks and one simply blew over. It landed on my neighbor's fence but didn't do much damage. He and I were out there this morning with chainsaws to get the limbs off his fence. I will have to call in a clean up crew to take away all the debris and cut down the remains of the tree. I seem to recall many years ago something similar happened up north and the insurance company paid to have the tree removed. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if I have the same coverage down here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Wow, sounds like you had about like we had. Only down here there was a lot of flooding involved too, the kind of flooding that makes side streets impassible, hi hi

Insurance will not normally cover the taking down of a tree, but will often cover removing a part of it that is on someone elses property or on a building, even one of your own buildings. But the leave the rest of the tree where it leans, hi hi.

Another day that took me 2 hours from the bedroom to the kitchen and 2 hours to finally make it up here.
Not good Yogi. I'm having way too many panic attacks that are taking too long to recover from on my own.
Debi almost insisted on taking me to the ER this morning, but luckily she got busy with something and before she was done, I was feeling better.
Right now I'm just doing pursed lip breathing trying to get my heart to slow down so I can go home for lunch and a rest.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I heard about a lot of tree damage due to that storm but oddly no flooding reports. My weather station claims it only rained .6 inches which usually is not enough to cause problems.

I visited the insurance lady this morning since I was in the neighborhood of her office. Never met her or been to her office prior to today and it was a total shock. If that office wasn't worth at least a million dollars, then I'm too senile to tell the difference. I can now understand why our premiums are so high. This gal must be very successful. Unfortunately, you are correct. They only pay for damage due to negligence on my part, which is fine because the neighbor's fence has very little damage. They will pay to remove a tree limb from your roof, or living room, but nothing else. Since it was an act of God they are not indemnifying anybody that powerful.

Most of the tree removal people aren't answering their phones today. The one who did said they are prioritizing jobs (of course) and will call me back as soon as possible. You know, like next week or the following one. grrrr

You are doing a marvelous job getting around your home and office. Two hours to get to your office doesn't sound marvelous to you, I know. But you are doing it, and that is a good thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Down here we don't have many sewers, they use ditches along the roadways, and in the low areas where these all cross under the roads, they often overflow and go across the roads, sometimes for a goodly distance.

My neighbor had a tree fall and most of it landed on his pick-up truck, some on the roof.
They only paid to get the branch or two off the roof, and told them to contact their car insurance company about the truck damage. The insurance company totaled his truck because the top of the cab was smashed down only a tiny bit.
He bought the truck back from the insurance company at salvage price, and had a friend saw off the top and turn it into a convertible pick-up truck, hi hi. More like a jeep roof not a car convertible. They did have to replace the front windshield with a frame to hold a new glass, and had to go to a different insurance company to get it insured again, hi hi.

This was another morning when I almost didn't make it. I'm doing your website before I go to lunch, just in case I don't make it back. This morning started off better than usual, for which I was glad, but then it went downhill rapidly.

I have learned one thing important to me. the Albuterol Sulfate 90 mcg made by Cipla, does not work as well or as fast as the Albuterol Sulfate 90 mcg under the Ventolin brand name. I don't know why since it is the same drug. I also don't like the way the Cipla brand sprays its mist. Can't hear or feel it, just taste it, and it does taste a whole lot different than Ventolin does.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The story of your neighbor's ingenuity with his smashed pick up truck is amusing. I'm thinking of those Internet memes I see regarding redneck solutions to problems. I'd say your neighbor qualifies to be one of those memes. LOL

We have sewers under our streets and they do one heck of a job clearing the water. I've marveled at their efficiency many times in these posts. Our subdivision is located just north of a state highway, P, which of course has no sewers. They have drainage ditches as you describe for where you are. In the 7 years that I lived here I've seen highway crews clear out those ditches twice. They get overgrown with prairie growth and trash from passing cars. In other words they do a great job of keeping that drainage path clear and functional. But, as you well know, we have hills and valleys here in Missouri. The drainage ditches in the valleys can be overwhelmed and flood onto the roadway. That happened only once that I know of since I've been here. That was the night it rained 11 inches. They closed the road for one day only. Flooded as it was for a few hundred feet, it cleared itself quickly. Truly amazing.

I have heard drug stories very similar to yours wherein the same drug causes different side effects when manufactured by different companies. My wife had that problem for a while. The local Walgreens only stocked the drug which did not work for her. They would order from the other company, but give her a hard time when she complained to them. I guess the active drug itself is well regulated, but all the other crap they mix in with it is anybody's guess. Fortunately she doesn't have to take that drug anymore.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

They have a ton of car and truck shows down here. You should see some of the modifications made to some of these vehicles.
One fellow has a REAL cast iron bathtub as the body for one of his cars. Another has a grocery store shopping cart about 5 times life size, this one you may have seen since he travels the country with it for shows, mainly at grocery stores.
Another is an outhouse, complete with moon cut in the door, hi hi. I don't think that one can be used on the street, since I've only seen it on private lands where shows were going to be held.

We have sanitary sewers, but no storm sewers, and they do a lot to keep storm water out of them too.
A few of the nicer upscale subdivisions have storm sewers, but they only run as far as the nearest watershed.
Tennessee is all hills and mountains, so there are tons of natural watersheds and creeks they keep intact when they build subdivisions like ours, especially back in the 1940s and '50s. But even newer ones built since then take advantage of the watersheds if they can.

My wife's drug store carries the Ventolin brand at the generic brand price, so her insurance covers it.
Nearly everything Walgreens sells is the cheapest of the cheap they can get, hi hi.
My wife and I are both taking Metformin, who doesn't these days, hi hi.
What she gets from her pharmacy has a slick coating so they slide down easily.
What Walgreens sells me has a powdery coating so often get stuck in my throat.
That is one reason for the upcoming endoscopy. Debi's mom used to go have, what she claimed as being her throat stretched to stop things from hanging up in it. In my case, I literally think there is a fold of skin in there that catches and holds pills like super glue, and some pills really burn as they dissolve ever so slowly. Even eating bread or crackers don't seem to force a pill down when it is stuck there. Sometimes foods will stick there also, but usually wash out easily enough.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've only seen photographs of some of those strange vehicles you see at car shows. I believe I've seen the outhouse one more than once in fact. Around here they have a lot of old cars that seem to be of show quality, but I ever actually went to one of those events. I didn't think show cars were actually driven on the streets but apparently some people do exactly that.

As far as the esophagus goes, I don't know a lot about it. I guess there is some kind of valve where it connects to the stomach but from what I understand the tube up to your throat is supposed to be straight and clear. Many people have problems with acid reflux which damages the lower part of the esophagus if not treated. Antacids generally don't work in those cases because the lining of the plumbing is damaged. And, I would not be surprised if there is some sort of obstruction causing your food and medications to get stuck on their way to the stomach. Seems like fixing something of that nature would be no worse than a tonsillectomy. I still recall having that done when I was a very young kid. I got all the ice cream I could eat, which wasn't much. Anyway, my esophagus problems are treated with Nexium. Been working fine for a couple decades now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Lots of fully restored antique cars around here too, some from the 1910 to 1930 era. They parade between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge every other weekend it seems. We have an insurance salesman who drives what looks like a model A Ford, but is really just a replicar built on top of the frame and engine from another car or truck.
A lot of our busses that are used in the shopping districts are made to look like old street car trolleys, sorta cute.

My GI appointment for the Endoscopy is on the 10th, on the 8th I'm getting an Ultrasound of my aorta and probably the esophagus too.

I'm already on some GI Pill, it has a long name I'm not going to guess at, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The giant shopping mall up north had a few of those trolley-mobiles. My son-in-law drove one for a while but the pay wasn't enough. The route also was very short and limited to the village in which the mall was located. In other words it was cute but pretty much useless. I think the intent was to cater to the seniors with those trolley buses, but most of the shops in the mall were too expensive for seniors. It was all for show.

Hopefully all will go well with the diagnostic tests you have scheduled. If nothing else, you will know what you are up against. I'm fortunate to be able to treat my acid reflux with an OTC remedy. Maybe you will be lucky in that regard too.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Our trolleys travel the entire shopping district near the college. Both hi and low end stores are there. The trolleys are funded by the stores, and since there are so many stores, one small tax for the entire district covers it really well.
Now out west where the big hi end malls are, they have something similar, and those trolleys run from east towne to west towne malls and out to the turkey creek a newer shopping area. They are not fully funded by the stores, so riders have to pay something, however, when you shop at certain stores you can get ride cards punched, albeit it is electronic, not holes hi hi.

The thing is, I don't think I have acid reflux, if I do, it is an unknown problem to me. But they say, sometimes you don't know.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had acid reflux problems for over a year and had no clue what was going on. Never really had acid backup in my throat but I knew the stomach was revolting over something. The damage to the esophagus built up gradually. At first just sucking on a peppermint candy would soothe things over, but eventually the OTC remedies didn't do much. At times I could not swallow food easily, which was the point at which I decided maybe seeing a doctor would be a good idea. I'm certain there are a few things that can cause food to stick in the gullet and some of those things might be complicated. The cure in my case was prescription grade Nexium, which I eventually changed to the OTC variety, 60mg dosage vs 20mg. I figured the less medicine I can get away with the better off I'd be. It will be some solace for you knowing what is going on, I'm sure. Hopefully it will be much less than you expect.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Here is what my regular doctor prescribed until I see the endoscopy doctor.
Omeprazole 40MG
I don't know the trade names it is sold under.
I'm hoping they don't find anything serious too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Omeprazole is Prilosec when sold OTC. I am hoping that helps you because that is the equivalent to the Nexium I am currently using. I was prescribed Nexium (Esomeprazole) which came along after Prilosec already captured the market. The thinking at the time was that Nexium was similar but better in some regards. I switched to Prilosec for some reason I don't recall and stayed with it for a few years. Then there was some research showing long term use of Prilosec to be associated with folks that came down with some form of cancer. Well, it didn't kill me after taking it a few years but I went back to Nexium just in case. The cost of the two is about the same. So far I don't need prescription grade Nexium, which is the same as OTC but in higher dosages.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

That's good to know. I'll see if the GI doc will change me to the Nexium version, just in case.

I'm trying to get them to change my inhalers from one brand to another. Trouble is, Walgreens sells this brand, and I no longer go to WalMart for my scripts. I just don't like the dispenser for my albuterol, can't hear it or feel it, just a different taste is the key that it worked. And this company just had a recall due to bad valves on some. Mine are not in that lot number set. But one was close, the same generation, so perhaps when I start the new can it might work differently.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are the second person I heard of lately that was prescribed Omeprazole. The other person lives in Europe. I don't think I ever knew exactly why Nexium was considered better, but the differences could not be too great. In my case they both were effective.

Don't know what it is about Walgreens but my wife had the same problem with them not stocking meds from the preferred manufacturer. I'd guess it has something to do with the profit margin, but it could also be a corporate decision. Wife was able to convince them to order what she preferred and they had no problem getting it. It took several days as opposed to getting what they had in stock, but the did honor her request. It's hard to believe that there isn't more consistency among they pharmaceuticals are made.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My problem is, most of the drugs I'm on have been removed from my insurance companies formulary, so I buy the cheapest generic, and Walgreens generics are usually cheaper than Walmarts generics.

What I do like about Walgreens is, if I've paid for something, or a higher than normal co-pay amount, after they get reimbursed by my insurance company, they send me a check. Sometimes those checks have been up near 100 bucks too.
Some of my drugs are covered under Part B durable equipment which is covered by Medicare and my supplemental insurance.