It's 104℉ Right Now

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: It's 104℉ Right Now

Post by yogi »

The hospice people mom had did not do anything heroic, but they didn't cut out any drugs she was already taking. In her case that was enough.

I'm glad you were able to find help moving the computer. It was a laudable goal making it up to your office every day, but doing that just to post a few words here truly isn't worth the effort. I know you did other things too, but not having to make that 4 hour trip should make your days a little more bearable.

I was going to read the other posts as you recommended, but nothing was there to read. :confused:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I'm now officially on the Hospice program!

I don't think I'll move the computer down to the house.
I have quite a convoluted system up here.
Need the KVM to make the mouse and monitor work.

My neighbor did come over, and there really is no room up here to move all the other computers and monitors out of the way to get to the Silver Yogi.
Perhaps if we can figure out a place to put all the computers out of the way, and all the books and files on the floor between the door and the computers, maybe then we can try.

No, I said I would go and read the other posts you made. I may have made a short comment the other day on them, but not yesterday that I recall. I'm in a lot of pain here Yogi. So if I come up missing, that is why.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You did mention a time or two how complicated your LAN and computer layout was. My understanding is that it had to be that way because you were using multiple computers for various tasks. As a stand alone unit, the Silver Yogi does not need a KVM and I can't imagine what you could do to make it necessary. The purpose of that KVM is to provide access to several machines via a single keyboard and monitor. But, you told me that all of them are no longer in service. Only the Silver Yogi is operational. That suggests to me that the KVM is now unnecessary.

Getting to the physical machine, however, can be a challenge. If it is now buried deep in the bowels of multiple non-functioning computers, then the solution seems simple. Have the neighbor haul all those nonworking computers over to the nearest electronics recycling center. I realize how difficult that kind of decision might be for a fellow who never throws anything away, but these are exceptional times. If the machines are no longer usable, why keep them as a barrier to accessing the Silver Yogi? The books are quite another issue. They too can be recycled, I'm sure, but it could be argued that the reading material is still useful to somebody. The difficult part now is to keep focused on what is most important. Your comfort and well being would rank right up at the top. Perhaps sacrificing some of those books to the gods of antiquity would be well worth the end results, i.e., access to the physical Silver Yogi.

Hospice care is all about comfort. It had to be a difficult decision to go that route because of the irony underlying their reason for being. Keep in mind that you, yes YOU, are now the focal point of attention for a lot of helpful people. I don't have a feel for what it's like in Tennessee, but I know when we had hospice care for mom they were able to provide a "friend" to visit and comfort her ... and move some books and old computers around if it became necessary to give her some relief. The hardest part of this hospice business is the change of mindset required to make it effective. They are not there to try and prevent the inevitable. They are there to make the transition as easy and painless as possible. Eliminating the need for that long walk to your office is consistent with their mission.

And I do indeed understand why you may need to be absent for a while. Keep in mind also that those hospice people have some excellent resources to deal with the pain you must endure. Take advantage of it. It may be counterintuitive, but you do not have to endure that intense pain. There are ways to deal with it.

And, on a personal note, you know I am not a praying person. I do have a good deal of empathy for you nonetheless. I often think of you and your wife, Debi, and understand what you two may be going through. May you both be blessed with the strength of spirit to endure these difficult times.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Due to open ports, the Silver Yogi desperately needs cleaned inside, the brown sticky dust blown out.
If I could get it moved to the house, there really is no place to put it, other than under the kitchen table.
But I have a big problem looking at a monitor on top of a table, or holding a keyboard in my lap.
I have the knowledge and tools to make it work, but not the energy to make it happen on my own.
My modern mouse is plugged into the KVM in order to make it work on the Silver Yogi.
Modern meeces no longer have PS2 in them.

Hospice has been here today from 1:30 until 5 pm, so I am tired as I can get without collapsing in my tracks.

Hospice will in fact get me stronger pain pills than what I'm already on, which should help.
I just have so many new things going wrong with the ole bod it's pitiful.
Can't eat, can't sleep, have trouble even trying to stand up, much less walking.
But you know my drive to make it to my office!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Brown sticky dust inside the Silver Yogi??? I was under the impression that your office was climate controlled and that you found a way to eliminate the smog. I didn't think you could make an actual Clean Room up there, but I am somewhat surprised that the tower computer is accumulating so much dust. Cleaning the dust can't be that difficult for a person such as Debi who may have a portable vacuum cleaner. Give her a soft bristle paint brush and she can clean off what the vacuum doesn't. It won't be perfect, but it will extend the life of the components.

If you don't have space for the computer down in the house then I suppose it would be a futile effort to try and move it. The idea behind it all is simply to make it easier for you to access the Internet without having to make the trek to your office. To be honest I don't recall if the Silver Yogi is equipped with PS2. There are USB ports on it that can use those types of mouses, and I happen to have a couple laying around that I can send you for that matter. They are gaming mouses (what else?) and might not be your first choice. But, they are of substantial size and might do in a pinch.

Then again, truly, I understand why you prefer to stay in the office as long as you are physically able. :thumbu:
It's just that you might be "able" longer if you didn't have to make that trip.

I'm glad hospice is out there doing their thing. It takes a while to get it all set up and they have a lot of resources you might never have thought about. Hopefully the folks you are dealing with are as good as the people we had for mom. They did an excellent job.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I have an air compressor here in the garage, right next to my office door, just for cleaning out computers.
My office is far from clean, hi hi. 3rd hand smoke is where most of the brown comes from I assume. Plus a million white house spiders who think they own my office, hi hi.

Yes, the Silver Yogi does have PS2 connectors, but none of the mice are now compatible with PS2, not even with a USB to PS2 adapter plug. My wireless mouse is USB which is why I use the KVM so it was available to the working computers. Albeit, none working right now, but one older one only needs a new CMOS battery, of which I bought ten of them recently to fix up my computers. My health dropped faster than I expected it to.

The Silver Yogi also has a WiFi card in it, which I've never used, but it flashes green.
So if I do move it down to the house, I may not need to stretch another cable throughout the house.
The trouble is, there is no way to get a comfortable position, or have my climate control down there.
And I can't smoke in the house at all for any reason, hi hi.

Hospice is going to upset my world and my routine big time. I've learned that already, hi hi.
They want me to use THEIR O2 supply company, and I doubt I will be able to get all I need through them, or placed where I need them placed either. My current O2 guy, puts my tanks where I need them!

I'm just worried that moving the computer will cause it to stop working! Then I'm up that proverbial creek without a paddle.

Send an e-mail to Debi at chelsea_48@yahoo.com so we have your e-mail in her computer, just in case.
Her cell phone is 865/406-7258 - she has a Schmartz-Fone so can do tons of things with it!
PierrePanache

Post by PierrePanache »

Hi Kellemora - I've just dived back online to keep in touch & am so sorry to hear that you feel so poorly. You will be in my thoughts here in London, England and please accept my good wishes to you and your family. You have always 'come across' online as such a strong character so "Do not go gentle unto that night". Fight!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't think it would be a big problem cleaning out the Silver Yogi, at least not in theory. You make a good point in noting that touching it might upset its equilibrium. If that happens, it might be time for you to allow Debi to show you how to use her smartphone to communicate with the outside world. I will indeed send her my contact information which can also be used by you should the need arise.

At this point in time I don't know what condition the WiFi card is in, but that is what I used before I discovered a direct Ethernet wire was faster and more secure. It should broadcast directly to your router once it is enabled.

Hospice does in fact have their own sources for supplies and my guess is they get a price break for dealing with them. Mom didn't use all the oxygen that you do, but the people who delivered it were very accommodating. They came into the house and dropped off the new supply right at her bedside and then took the empties on the way out. In her case it was just a matter of one or two cylinders. However, she did have a few portable supplies and two concentrators.

And, yes, that is the downside of hospice. You have to do things their way. But, again, I can only remind you that those folks kept mom going for an extended period of time. It probably is different down in Knoxville, but their purpose for being is the same. They should be catering to YOUR needs, not the other way around.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thanks Pierre!

Had a lady from Hospice come in and wash my hair for me today.
About the time she was done, another team came and delivered some ME O2 tanks, and some little tiny B size tanks that only last about 20 minutes, but they are lighter in weight than C tanks.
They were here quite a while, and they DID bring me TWO oxygen concentrators, one for the house to replace the one I had, and one for my office to use up here, instead of lugging those heavy tanks up here.
Then after they were gone, their nurse stopped by to take my vitals and set up yet another script to be approved by the doctor.
Just after I've paid out for the one I'm on now. But I think Hospice covers the cost of those they get for me.

With all those visits and commotion, I'm so tired and sore, and of course out of air and higher pulse rate, I'm glad they are gone for a day!

Finally found the Netbook I had purchased for Debi. Stashed away in a closet behind older boxes we wouldn't normally move.
It did take a full charge to when I plugged it in, but it will need a new Debian version for sure, hi hi. It has Debian 8 which was upgraded to 9, but no longer supported.

I had to go from my office down to the house three times today, so needless to say, I am totally worn out, big time.

I hope to not have to come back up here tonight after dinner, and just lay down for a nap on the couch sitting upright.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Judging by what you describe, hospice is doing for you about the same that they were doing for my mom. They literally were providing too much service for mom's taste, but eventually she got used to all the attention. One of the cool services mom had was music. A lady with a keyboard came by once a week to sing and play mom's favorite music, or whatever happened to sound good at the time. She even learned an old Polish song to play for mom. This gal was so well liked by the entire family that she was requested to be the vocalist during Mass for mom's funeral. Truly she was a remarkable person and I never in a million years would have figured it was a normal hospice service. They also sent a "friend" who would sit with mom and just chit chat. That friend also would take mom shopping if she so desired. But, the "friend" was a guy and she did not desire to go shopping with him. LOL But, it was amazing that hospice thought of supplying such a service.

I do believe you are correct speculating that hospice pays for all the drugs they give you. They gave mom everything she needed, including a nebulizer and that puffing device that sprays medications down your throat. Personal items and OTC drugs were not part of the service, but mom preferred her own anyway.

In a way I'm glad to read that you are tired out from all the attention those hospice folks have been giving you. If there is room in your office for what they do, I am fairly certain they would come up there to give you what you need and save the trips down to the house.

Also glad you found that old computer. Debian is on version 12 now if I recall correctly. They are much improved over the years which isn't really a compliment. They are now at the level everyone else was at five years ago. It seems to work well on both my tower and my laptop. Asus is not a Linux friendly computer so the fact that Debian boots at all on it is really saying something.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I was surprised when they brought me TWO oxygen concentrators. One for my night use and one for the office.
The one in the office worked great, but the one I needed for night was not working right. They will replace it today.

I had to work with the other folks down at the house, but when the nurse came, she came up to the office to do my vitals.
Plus ask the gazillion questions they always want to go through, hi hi.

Despite having next to no sleep last night, I'm actually doing quite well today. Don't know how long that will last though.
I was very bloated yesterday and the day before, but starting about 2:30 am this morning, I was up every ten minutes to take a tiny little tinkle. Then this morning after my diuretic pills, I've darn near filled a bucket, hi hi.
I need to do a sit down job, been a couple of days since I only had a bit. I think the diuretic dries me out too much, I know my mouth is always dry unless I keep a bottle of water to rinse it out about every 15 minutes or more often.

I have Linux Mint on one really old computer with no Internet access.
But have used Debian on all the rest. And most of my computers do have Asus MoBo's.

Debi said she got your e-mail!

I have to head down to the house now, for lunch, and hopefully a sit down job, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I have mixed feelings about hospice. They are a blessing in many ways and provide services and advice we never thought of on our own. Then again, there is the reason why they are there in the first place. Not a good thought. It's great news to read that you are doing well today. I'm thinking all the assistance you are getting from hospice is responsible for at least part of your elevated mood. The only advice I can give you at this point is to not hesitate to take advantage of all the things hospice has to offer. This is a time for you to focus on being comfortable and it is the mission of hospice care to see that that happens seamlessly.

Linux Mint is pretty cool given that it is a Hodge-Podge combination of Debian and Ubuntu that implements mostly the good parts of each. Since Ubuntu seems to have gone down the tubes with its recent releases, I'd have to say Mint/Cinnamon is now the go-to Linux distro of choice for me. When I was learning about UEFI, it was the tech support forums for Mint that gave me the most useful information. I never would have found them if it was not for your personal efforts, however. You provided the link to a solution I needed at the time.

Deb responded to the e-mail I sent her. She has an iPhone apparently, but I thought she was running Android. Oh well. Nobody is perfect. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya about Hospice, but they have done good for our family in the past.
And yes I know, they only do what makes you comfortable, and nothing that could be curative or life extending.

I never did like Cinnamon desktops, I prefer the Mate desktop.
I've had problems with Ubuntu I never had with Linux Mint Mate.

Debi got a new phone recently when she changed carriers, well 5 years ago recently.
I have her older Android based phone I use to take pictures of things to sell, or did when I could.
And play a game or two on it. Other than that, it just sits here on my desk doing nothing.
Her change to iPhone did mess up a bunch of stuff we've never corrected yet, like smart plugs, etc.
It works for what she uses it for with her watch and blutooth stuff.
But you are right about one thing, she don't like it as well as she did her Android phone.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'd take a guess that a person's favorite cell phone OS depends on what they grew up with. It's much like the Windows/Linux users. If you switch to the other system after you spent years learning the first one, the second system just doesn't seem as good. Now, I know what you are going to say about Windows vs Linux. You, my friend, are the exception. LOL You actually had a useful purpose for using computers as opposed to many PC owners who use one just for the entertainment value. I like to think of myself as open minded in such matters, and as you well know I grew up on Windows. Linux had serious problems that were not present in Windows, but being of a technical mindset it wasn't a show stopper for me. It just resulted in me not switching away from Windows because I could not find anything better in Linuxland. My wife has an iPad and iOS is probably intuitively obvious for somebody. Not me. When she has problems and asks for my help, I have one hella time finding the settings and apps that I know must be available to solve the problem. It's a bit like the complaint you make regarding Microsoft Word. The tool bar ribbon is not organized logically in your opinion, and that is how I see the iOS environment. Plus, Apple is way more exclusive than Microsoft ever was. You can't get anything but Apple products to work on their OS. That locks you into one source for everything, like it or not. Windows goes the opposite direction and will run anything, or just about so. They do want you to use their sponsored products, but I can attach anybody's hardware to the Windows environment plus the software to go with it. Not so with Apple. Yes, I am paying for all that and Linux people are not. Then again, Windows just works.

I used Mate on Ubuntu for quite a while and I can see why it appeals to you. It's reminiscent of Windows XP. LOL Also,, there are the utilities and tools specific to Mate which I suspect is the real appeal in your case. Each desktop environment has a completely different set of tools, which the developers claim is an advantage being Free and Open Sourced. Well it's not if you switch to using different distributions frequently such as I do. Most people don't do what I do and stick to one environment. Thus your liking of the Mate desktop is very understandable.

It seems as if hospice is doing good for you, and you well deserve it. I can't encourage you enough to take advantage of all the benefits they offer.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Windows is very problematic in many areas, but since you like and use it, you have found the way around many of their problems and know what to do intuitively when you hit a glitch.

I used Apple/Mac for years before changing to PCs and found PCs to be a royal pain compared to MAC.
PCs turned out to be very costly when you upgraded, because you had to upgrade all the programs you used with it also.

Being poor, and Linux being FREE, you can learn your way around in it, most of the time easier than Windows, once you are used to how the Distro you chose works for you.

Hospice Nurse was here today, my O2 guy from Lincare was here today, which will be their last delivery of course, since I am on Hospice. Another Hospice guy was here bringing me a useless battery powered portable, those things are horrible, and don't last but two hours. And they are as heavy, if not heaver than a C size tank to lug around, oh, and noisy, besides shaking you like a huge vibrator on your bones, hi hi.

I could not make it up to my office this afternoon, and just got up here at ten minutes until 8, this was my first stop.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The problem with computer operating systems is that they take some time to learn how to use them efficiently. That is true for any one of them. Most of the negative comments from you and many others arise when a switch is made from one OS to another. Doesn''t matter which way you are going because the so called faults are due to a need to learn something new. That learning curve is basically discovering ways to to the same thing you always did but in a different environment. Thus the operating system is blamed for being inadequate when in reality it's the difficulty a person has learning something new. Many engineers are familiar with several operating systems and realize they each have a purpose to meet a specific need. Desktop computing, however, is plagued by Microsoft, Apple, and Linux. These guys are all competing with each other and seem to have lost sight of the purpose of their being, which is to provide a user friendly desktop computing environment.

I'm glad hospice is there for you. That is a good thing. The equipment they supply, unfortunately, may not be what you are accustomed to using. This can be negotiated. It's not that hospice will change suppliers just to suit your needs, but they will most likely make an effort to give you what you need. It might not be what you had before, but they are there to make sure you have all the equipment and meds necessary to keep you going.

I'm also glad you made the trip to your office. Late, but still you accomplished the task. I should not have to remind you that I enjoy your comments here, but it is not a requirement for you to post something every day. It would be nice, but I am aware of the realities you must face. If you can't make it to the office I most certainly would understand why.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Even way back when I was using Windows XP for my work, not even interested in Linux at the time.
I found I could not do a lot of things using for e.g. Windows Word.
Someone told me to try OpenOffice Writer, I did and could get my work done in a breeze, and without all the problems.
Later I moved up to LibreOffice Writer and it was improved over OpenOffice Writer.

I had played with RedHat Linux in the early years, and it was not at all friendly except to geeks, hi hi.
This is why it took me so many years to once again try Linux.
Ubuntu is what drew me back to Linux at the time Windows came out with the Ultimate Spyware OS called Vista.
Now that was one HORRIBLE OS for sure! And the reason it lost favor rapidly, and a lot of folks came over to Linux.
I was not known to Distro hop to try them all out. And I figured if Debian was the BASE for Ubuntu to build on, that is what I would move to next, and was glad when I did. It ran like a stuck hog on my older computers, much faster than Ubuntu.
Plus all the programs I had become familiar with worked even better on Debian.
I only used LInux Mint on a couple of computers, one I'm using today still does not have Internet on it.
And Linux Mint was a complete install from CD back when I installed it on that computer.
The other computer I put it on did have Internet, but Debian did not have the driver I needed and Mint did.
I've been using Debian ever since, and rarely if ever do I have a problem with things I need to get done.
I may have a problem with some things I've tried to do on programs I was not yet familiar with.

Hospice really surprised me when they brought me a second Oxygen Concentrator, the one for my office.
Another surprise was the portable which I don't like at all, but use it in the living room as a test.
It is not only hard to get used to, it doesn't run but perhaps two hours, which makes it useless for things like doctors appointments, which now that I'm on Hospice I won't have any more of, hopefully.

I thought it quite odd that they do not have 4 foot cannualas, only 7 foot, when 4 foot is the best, especially on portable tanks.

I almost didn't make it today. I can't even consider trying to make it up here if my heart rate is above 85, because it would be close to 120 when I made it, and that takes about a half hour to recover from. It hovered over 90 all morning.
The nice thing is, once I do get settled in my office, my heart rate is usually in the upper 70s after being up here an hour or so. It is usually around 78, to 80 when I need to head back to the house, which is downhill from here which helps.
But once I am up here, when I do go back home for lunch, I now make sure I have nothing to do until after dinner.
Unfortunately, things don't always work out that way, and I do have to come back after lunch or around 3 to 4 pm.
Like today, I was going to make out bills and get them paid, but Debi called and said she brought me lunch home, so it is waiting for me when I get down there.
And getting cold, hi hi.

I've not been able to do anything on my DR line of work up here anymore. So that frees up some time for me.
But now the doc has me on some really powerful pills that make me slightly dizzy at times.
They are helping with the pain, and hopefully a couple of other issues I'm having problems with.
One of which is yet another source of pain, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are making me think hard about doctors and hospice. I know for sure mom saw her pulmonologist while she was in hospice care. She had a problem with fluid accumulating in her lungs and around her heart all of which got her admitted to a hospital prior to hospice care. The problem continued after she signed up with hospice and I am fairly certain that she had to have fluid removed as an outpatient during that time. I don't think any of the doctors from hospice came out to see mom, and I'm not sure they actually have doctors on staff. All we ever saw were nurses and a variety of other service people. So I dunno. The fluids would have killed her if left untreated and it was a simply a 15 minute procedure to remove it. I'm pretty sure hospice paid for it too because Medicare was out of the picture by that time. Well, not entirely, but they were paying hospice and not all the other doctors mom saw. It's been 15+ years now so that I may not have all the details down pat.

We had more cannualas than we knew what to do with. LOL Mom had the big tanks, the portable ones, and two concentrators plus all the peripherals to go with it. One day they just brought a whole bag full of different lengths for us to use as needed. To be honest, however, I don't know if we had a 4 footer, but mom did have a couple portable units for use when she left the house. I don't recall the tubing for those being excessive.

It seems as if you had more problems with the software you ran rather than the actual operating systems. Libre Office, for example, runs just as well on Windows as it does on any distribution of Linux I have tried. The underlying operating systems have no trouble running the software. MS Word, however, is not FOSS and thus follows none of their conventions. I can understand why you had problems with it, but those problems were not related to Windows, Vista notwithstanding. I must say that I am amused by your frequent comments about how people are leaving Windows and embracing Linux. I posted an article here where the Linux community was bragging that they now have a whopping 3% of the desktop market. LOL That is up from several years of 2.9% and due mostly to developers migrating. All I can say is that Linux rules servers, but the Personal Computing world seems to favor other operating systems.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

After the nurses were here a couple of times, one real doctor did come by to see me for all of about 10 minutes.
He came in, introduced himself, and prescribed a medication nurses were not allowed to do apparently.
I guess he was covering his butt to make sure I needed it first, hi hi.

I only ordered new cannulas when I was low on them. I don't change them as often as I'm supposed to either.
Nor the tubing for that matter. Can't stand the smell of the new ones, so leave them out for a couple of days first.

Windows msWrite is not logical. I've gone over that before.
If you need to format a Page, it is under file system operations, which has nothing to do with page formatting.
Once you know where ms idiots HID that format operation, then you remember it and forget how illogical programs for Windows machines really are.

It is understandable that the home market was brought up on Windows so that's the only thing they know, and 99% of Windows users wouldn't have the slightest idea how to reinstall the OS themselves.

I wasn't sure if I was here already today, even though I checked you off my list for today.
So, since I made it up here to my office right before 9 pm, I had to open your website to see, and since here, I might as well respond to what is here.

It took me from 2 pm until 8:30 pm to be able to get back up here. Not good! I'm still in pain despite all the new and stronger meds the doc put me on.

Not to mention my heart racing much faster than it should be even from just walking 10 steps.

Have a great night Yogi!
yogi

Post by yogi »

i must confess that it was surprising to see you post here twice in one day. It's not the first time you have done that, but it certainly has been a long time since it happened previously. Back in the old days when this place was active people would normally post more than once a day, but us two have not done so. In any case, it is great to see you able to leave more than one message at different times of the day.

I've never asked you before, but since you mentioned that it took you 6 and a half hours to make the second trip to your office, I will ask you now. I fully understand why the trip takes so long but I am a bit curious about the logistics. I envision you taking a few steps, then resting to let your heart and system normalize. That makes sense. The trek to the office, however, is some distance. So, what do you do during those several rest intervals on your way to the office? Do you have a series of rest stations, chairs, along the way? Or, do you just stand around for six hours and wait? I can't imagine it being a pleasant trip which is why I have suggested mobile transport of some sort. But, perhaps you have a better method.

Regarding issues with MS Word, you have said nothing yet that would make me believe Windows, the operating system, is rightly to blame for your frustrations with that word processor. I know that you tend to think out of the box and push the design envelope for just about everything you touch, and that is fine. But when you misapply the software beyond its intended purpose, that can't be the fault of the software developer. I'm not suggesting you did that with MS Word, but I can say the problems you had with the "logic" there are not operating system defects.

It is only slightly anomalous that people would pay several hundred dollars to use MS Office Suite (Microsoft 365 these days), when they can do the same things with a FOSS variant such as LibreOffice. I was a dedicated fan of MS Office Suite until about 1998. I discovered Open Office at that time and never went back. There were compatibility issues at first but all those type of issues have been resolved. For all intents and purposes LibreOffice is interchangeable with Microsoft's office platform. That platform, by the way, is now by subscription only. There are free versions for schools and other institutions, but I honestly don't know much about those things. I have no need to know. When your job requires using a computer and an office suite of software, your employer will generally have Windows and its native software running the show. Thus if you work on those systems all day long there is a huge incentive to do the same at home. People who use Apple products at work also have Apple products at home. It just makes sense to stick with one method instead of learning several the way you and I have done. Plus, why would most home computer users want to know how to install an operating system in the first place? Ever since the early days of Windows 8 Microsoft creates a recovery partition alongside the installed operating system so that you can always revert to that automatically if a serious problem arises. Most Windows using folks do not need to know what you and I know. :grin: