It's 104℉ Right Now

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: It's 104℉ Right Now

Post by Kellemora »

My neighbor came over and pulled the toilet for me to see.
Something you find really rare had happened. The front of the was seal had blown out.
Probably from the new high pressure plunger the frau bought not too long ago.
It had split open in the front, but would ooze back together again as expected during usage.
Replacing it will fix it for a lot of year now, especially since he filled the pan with cream sealant jelly, hi hi.

I know if an older toilet can wiggle it will unseat itself, but not a toilet replaced toilet soft silicone grease sealants with.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've replaced a few toilets over the years of owning a home, but I do not recall any of them having a leak in the wax seal. There were plenty problems elsewhere, but fortunately the thrones in the throneroom seemed to have always been solidly put into place. My previous house had the bathroom remodeled before we tried to sell it. One of the outstanding features was the toilet. I never realized that they came in more than one height. The new toilet was apparently made with seniors in mind in that it was higher and the bowl elongated. Until then I never realized how much of an improvement an inch or two in height can make.

The house I grew up in had a porcelain toilet that probably was made when Millard Fillmore was president. LOL It worked just fine and was easy enough to fix when it didn't. An uncle of mine acquired one of those pneumatic toilet plungers that could be pumped up to 100 psi, or possibly more. It was a beautiful machine, and there were times when dad and grandpa cleared a clogged drain with an 80 psi impact. To be honest I don't recall if that ever blew out any of the seals in the piping. Seems now like it did not. That old time plumbing with lead pipes really worked well when they didn't clog up.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sounds like one fancy toilet you had there!

Sorry, no time tonight, I'm tired and feeling very poorly, waiting for my neighbor to pull my wheelchair home.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That replacement toilet was an American Standard brand. As long as we were remodeling I thought I wanted one of those toilets that use just over a gallon of water to do its job. I think the old toilet was using close to five gallons each flush. In addition to using less water this particular model had a whooshing type flush. It was supposedly a super slippery surface that didn't accumulate dirt as easily. Perhaps, but I didn't notice much difference in how often it had to be cleaned. It was simply amazing how well it worked on so little water. The height apparently was something old in spite of the fact that I didn't know about it for many years. The working mechanism, however, was special. You could not run over to Home Depot and pick up a ready replacement. Fortunately THAT situation has all changed. I have an American Standard in this house and replacement parts can easily be obtained. They don't last long, but they are easy to fix.

I do appreciate your posting here even if you can't do any extended writing. Glad you are doing well enough to make it to your private sanctuary and back.