Joke of the Day

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Joke of the Day

Post by yogi »

I knew my hearing sensitivity was down, but I didn't think it was down 50%. She showed me the audiograms and you would swear the left side is from a different person than the right side. I think I know what happened to the right side. About ten years ago we attended a wedding for my wife's niece. The DJ ran the speakers full blast and my right side was facing them. Unfortunately I didn't have a smart phone with all the apps at the time so I could not measure the db's at our table. I am certain it was close to 120 DBspl. After dinner I went out into the lobby and could not hear much of anything. That condition didn't subside for several days, and my regular hearing never did come back. I am certain a few of those hairy cells in the ear which detect high frequencies got blown away by that DJ.

The tinnitus I have is chronic but the intensity varies greatly. I asked the doctor yesterday if a hearing aide would help with the tinnitus. He claimed it could, but it is not a certainty. The hearing aide will not make it worse, so he assured me. My understanding of tinnitus is that the brain is reacting to not getting any of those high frequency audio signals. If you could somehow activate those dead cells again, the tinnitus would vanish. So, that lead to the next question. If the cells are dead what good does a hearing aide do? For one it increases the volume, or loudness so that what you can hear sounds better. That helps with the missing frequencies but there will always be some distortion due to those dead cells. I know from my own experiments with earphones that somewhere around a 6 db increase in volume does make things sound better. So, the main goal for me is to overcome that situation that you mention where you can't understand the words people are pronouncing. I really don't care if the music I hear is distorted. I don't listen to it that often.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It could be, I never liked overly loud music.
Albeit, I was near an explosion once that left me not hearing for nearly a day and a half.
Also, back when we had little cap guns, my crazy brother took a sledge hammer and slammed an entire roll of caps.
We were in the basement so it was loud, and I mean really loud.

I think tinnitus is hereditary, I say that because my mom had it really bad, and my dad had a little of it.
But mom's dad suffered greatly from it being very loud.

Running very late getting to my office today, couldn't get my heart rate down enough to trust making the trek up here.
yogi

Post by yogi »

There is a genetic predisposition to hearing loss, but tinnitus is directly related to high frequency loss. Thus older people tend to get it because those hairy cells that pick up the high frequencies die off in old age. Some people get it sooner than others and the reaction to it varies with personality. I don't think tinnitus itself is hereditary, but the high frequency hearing loss preceding it is.

That's a very interesting story about whacking a roll of caps with a hammer. I did exactly the same thing, but not in a basement. I was on the driveway which had a curb and I used a regular ball peen hammer. There was some hearing loss, but it didn't last long as I recall. My encounter with the wedding DJ did about the same thing as whacking the roll of caps did, but in the case of the DJ the exposure was for a lot longer time. Thus the loss was permanent. It seems strange to me that sound would kill off those cells. I could see a bloody eardrum or some such thing, but killing off individual body cells does not compute. It's just me because every knowledgeable person I talked to agrees that long exposure to high pressure sound will do it.

I'm sorry to learn you had problems getting to the office today. But, you know what they say ... better late than never. :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've had tinnitus since I was in my 20s, a long way from old age. It has only gotten worse over the years.

These kids with the billion watt base speakers in their cars are going to be sorry in a few years!
If you can hear them shake your windows as mile away, you know inside that car all their cells are getting smashed around.

I was up at 6:30 this morning, didn't make it to the kitchen until 7:45, and couldn't possibly even attempt coming up here until after 9:30, and then it was with assistance. Had to stop and wait for my heart to slow down a tad 3 times while en route. Then once I was inside and seated, all I could do was sit still for at least another 15 minutes. It's getting worse too!
yogi

Post by yogi »

The bottom line is that they know a lot about tinnitus, but they are not certain what causes it. People who have it usually also have high frequency hearing loss, and that is common to oldsters. But, obviously, it can happen early in life too. I agree with you that those kids who must "feel" the sound in their cars are asking for trouble. The question is why are they all not deaf by now? My experience was to lose it with only a couple hours exposure. The DJ is exposed to that deafening sound way more than I was, and those snotty teenagers certainly take in the heavy vibes way longer than I did. Now that I think about it, maybe that is why they can tolerate all that noise. There ARE deaf already.

I don't imagine your treks to the office will become easier over time. It's good that you are motivated enough to attempt the trip. It is a worthy effort especially if you have help along the way. That office is your sanctuary and your comfort zone. If nothing else it is a psychological boost, and that makes the effort you put into getting there worth it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

There were a couple of kids parked on our street a few days ago, and they had the deep base cranked way up.
A girl was in the passenger seat, and she opened the window for some reason and when she did, her hair just went all over the place like she was electrocuted, hi hi.

I honestly do much better up here, if I can get here, which is really hard to do.
I tried to come up here three times this morning, but had to sit back down and wait.
Try to figure this out if you will.
At night when I check my O2 and Pulse, O2 is between 95 and 96 which is right for night time, as it does go up when I'm asleep, but my Pulse hovers around 75 to 78.
I have to sit up in bed at least once every two hours to take a leak, and during the night, my Pulse may go up to 79 to 82.
But after around 4:30 to 5 am, when I sit up, my pulse will jump up to over 110, which makes it feel like I'm suffocating for air. So I will sit there and do pursed lip breathing for a goodly while, and if it don't drop back down to at least 101 I will do a couple of puffs on an Albuterol inhaler. This doesn't make the heart rate go down, but does take away the panic mode I'm in.
My pulse will stay up around 100 to 110 for the rest of the morning, so I just have to sit, do pursed lip breathing and wait. Once it drops down to around 95, I will attempt to make it to the kitchen for a nebulizer treatment.
After about an hour of sitting on my stool at the breakfast counter, my pulse may finally drop down to 95, and then I will eat and take pills, and do more pursed lip breathing. Sometimes it never gets below 95, which is not low enough for me to attempt walking to the office.
I will get up and put my dish in the sink, condiments back in the fridge, and if I'm holding at 95 after that, I will try to make it to the office. But once I do get up here, it is usually way up there, 115 to 117, and has been as high as 120 several times.
Once up here, all I can do is plop down in my chair and wait, do pursed lip breathing.
Now here is the odd thing. Once I'm in my office, seated for some time, my pulse will usually drop down to 85 or lower, sometimes as low as 77 while sitting perfectly still. Can't get it that low unless I'm up here in my office.
I think my office has some healing properties to it, hi hi.
But like now, as lunch time approaches, and I need to walk back down to the house, it will go up to around 85 to 88 before I'm ready to head back home again for a late lunch. Then of course, once I'm down there, I'm back up to 107 to 110 and sit on the stool until it is low enough to try to prepare my lunch, which is usually just a sandwich.
Not PHUN Yogi, Not Phun at all! And it is slowly getting worse!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Essentially you are describing a symptom called Tachycardia. My wife used to experience that up until we had our first child. There are a few reasons why the pulse rate increases, and you probably know them all. I would guess in your case it's primarily due to stress. You anticipate what you must do to get around the house and up to your office and the heart rate responds accordingly. That would explain why the rate goes down once you reach your office. The "healing" effect is psychological. You feel safe and comfortable up there, and you know you can just sit for a while and enjoy the ambiance. Come lunch time you realize what is coming and Tachycardia sets in. To be honest I don't think it's that simple. The heart automatically pumps faster when the brain senses a shortage of O2 in your system. The higher pulse gets more oxygen to the vital organs, and, well, that is what the heart is supposed to do. Then, too, you have a history of cardiac problems and I can't even guess how that might affect your regular heart beat. The "getting worse" part I'm sure has to do with the lungs not being able to absorb as much O2 as it used to. Emphysema doesn't get better over time.

No charge for my unprofessional medical analysis. Medicare wouldn't cover it anyway.

And, as long as I'm giving off the wall advice and counsel, if what I am saying is even close to correct, something like meditation will help you control the stress. It won't cure the problem, but it may just help get you through the difficult parts.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I had my heart doctors visit, I really expected him to give me a pill to slow my heart back down to normal.
He basically said the same things as you did, except for stress.
My lungs are not functioning properly of course, so the heart does speed up to get more O2 to the vital organs, and the rest of the body as far as that goes.
But if my O2 is already up due to being on O2, the other thing is CO2 which I know builds up in my lungs, and in turn my whole body. Blood tests have shown increasingly more CO2 in my system, which is why I do more pursed lip breathing than ever before now.
Another problem is I'm getting much more and much heavier phlegm in my lungs, and the energy spent to cough some of it up also raises the heart rate.
In my case, stress usually causes headaches, and I rarely have headaches anymore, and have not had a migraine in years.

My office is like a security blanket to a toddler, hi hi. I'm most comfortable up here, and can control my environment to how I'm feeling, both temperature and lighting wise.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm glad your doctor agrees with my analysis. LOL Stress certainly contributes to an increase in pulse rate but you have a few other things going on that add to the problem. The stress is a mental condition and you actually can do something to lessen it, which is why I suggested meditation. Things like that and a little self-hypnosis can be very calming in my case. The proof of that pudding is the contentment you experience in your office. You don't actually get healthier up there, but your mind is at ease. Mind over body is at work in that case. I'm thinking you can apply that same technique to other areas in your daily routine.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

A couple of the jobs I had over the years were very stressful, one to the point I would get sick and have to run to the bathroom to throw up. I also had migraine headaches quite often back then too. So I know what stress feels like. And thankfully, I don't feel those kinds of feelings anymore.

My doctors are always giving me these long lists of questions to answer, and it took me a while to figure out why they were doing it. Turns out, most people in my or a similar situation, get depressed, sometimes to the point of being clinically depressed. Since I know what it is going to be like, from experience, the doctors are even more surprised I'm not depressed.
Heck, getting depressed only makes things worse, as in woe is me and downhill from there rapidly.
I do get quite frustrated that I can't do what I used to do, but it doesn't make me depressed. I just find something else I can do, and do that instead, and have somebody do those things of which I cannot do, when I can afford to do it that is.

If I had the money, I would have the front porch I enclosed as a studio for Debi, finished so I could make it my office. But I'll never see that kind of money anymore, Not on my 89 bucks a month, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Those long lists of questions from the doctor can be used to detect depression, but most of them deal with cognitive decline or dementia. Every year when I go for my annual exam paid for by Medicare the question of depression shows up on those forms too. A lot of those questions seem inane and pointless. It's not going to affect the coverage so I don't know why they even ask. In your case depression might be expected. However, I've mentioned previously that I think you have more of a positive attitude about your illnesses than do most other people I've met. If that changes it means you will get more pills to take. I know about stress on the job too but can say I never reacted physically to it. The kind of stress I'm talking about isn't that intense and something you can control without drugs. Apparently you are doing just that.

I know what you mean about projects suspended due to lack of funds. I guess that's one reason I buy lottery tickets. I can still afford those. Last week I won a free ticket on the lotto draw, which is always nice. The scratch card, however, paid $88. That is the biggest payout I ever received from any of those lotto tickets.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

They have me do all kinds of things on the annual, like draw a clock at the time they want it to show, memorize four items to tell them back near the end of the interview, as much as I shake now, my drawing of the clock is getting rather bazaar, hi hi.

I guess I could get depressed as I get closer to the end of my cycle of life. But really, when it gets to that point, I just want to go to sleep and not wake up again, so I don't feel the pain of dyeing.

I got you beat on the scratch n sniff cards, hi hi. The irony of it was I bought a 5 dollar card, something I never usually do. My first card I won another card is all. I didn't scratch that one off until we were back home. I wasn't exactly sure I won anything, but it looked like I did so the next time we went to that restaurant I brought it with me. They guy plugged it into a reader and it pops up that I had won 120 bucks. They don't make payouts on anything over 100 dollars, so he gave me a receipt showing I had won, and an envelope to mail the card into the place that pays you. I kept that receipt in a folder on the top of my desk so I wouldn't forget I was waiting for a check. Instead of a check, I got a voucher that said to collect my winnings from the establishment who sold me the ticket. I thought for sure this was going to be a lengthy round-robin of trying to get my money. But I went in with my voucher and handed it to the cashier. She went in the back and came out with an envelope with six 20 dollar bills in it. Then I had to sign a receipt showing they paid me the money.
This was quite different than when my late wife won 185 dollars. She was mailed a cashiers check in only a day or two. Did NOT have to send her winning ticket in, since it was cleared at the store already as a winning ticket. They reported it, probably by their machine, took her mailing address and that was that.
yogi

Post by yogi »

That list of questions you describe is to test for cognitive decline. Depression is something else with a different set of questions. I'm not sure what happened exactly but the first time I saw this doctor in O'Fallon they did the oral questioning that you describe. Subsequent visits involved much fewer questioning and now I get to fill out a multi-page form (online) that essentially covers cognitive decline, depression, and a few other things too. They say it's from Mecicare and has to be submitted every year. Back in Illinois I got the same questionnaire but the exam was optional. I was not required to get that annual exam. I know why they do it here. Medicare pays them extra for that annual exam and the doctors in O'Fallon are short on reimbursements so that they make it mandatory. Legally it's not.

At one time in my distant past I read the rules for the Missouri lottery. I am fairly certain they said the local seller will pay any winnings that are $600 or less. The payout can be had at any seller and not only the one from which you purchased the ticket. I read that within the last five years or so and I guess the rules could have changed by now. If I win $601 or more, I need to go to the lottery people to get my cash on demand. They also put a limit of 180 days as the maximum time you can cash out for the big bucks. I'm not sure about the time limit of payouts that are not the jackpot.

Also, I'm pretty sure those verification machines in the stores are in fact connected to the state lottery people. At one time I would go to a website where I could scan my ticket with my smartphone and determine if I won anything. It worked pretty well, when it worked. About half the time the scan was invalid and they could not determine if I won or not. It took a bit of registration to be able to use that site so that the Missouri Lottery Commission knows exactly who I am. I now go to their site that does manual entries instead of phone scans. It's still a pain in the drain to register, but that check works every time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, I know one thing for sure, I'm going downhill a lot faster than I had hoped.
Some things are driving me nuts trying to figure out.
Even so, I still do a crossword or two, and sudoku or two every night after I'm in bed.
Helps me to stay sharp, even if I shake so bad I can't read my own writing, hi hi.

I think the payout amount depends on the type of lottery. The games where you guess the numbers is up around 600 bucks, but the 1 dollar scratch and sniffs I think are limited to 100 dollar payouts. I'm not out and about anymore to ask those who sell them.

Glad you found a way that works for you on checking your possible winnings!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm very glad you are not shaking so much that you cannot type your thoughts on this website. I am not glad at all to learn of your accelerated decline. Then again, nobody can be sure of what to expect in these situations. It's got to be difficult to remain positive, but I think you are doing better than the average bear in that case. I have the same idea about staying mentally alert regardless of what the body is doing. I have a crossword game on my clever phone but can't deal with Sudoku. I should get back to experimenting with Linux some day. Talk about mind bending.

You could be right about how the payouts go with the lottery. I read the rules but who knows for which game those rules applied. There are at least six number draw games here in Missouri. The number of scratch and sniffs outnumber those by far.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Sometimes I do have trouble typing, but if I take a pause and regroup, I manage to do it.
Shaking when trying to write is different than typing also.
The hand tremors are always there now, but the big shaking not there all the time.

Sudoku is actually very easy, unless you get into the really hard ones.
There's no math involved, they could use pictures or letters or anything else.
It's just easier to do using numbers, since we recognize those instantly.

I have a few crossword books I can't possibly do, they are nuts the way they are done.
The give helps with them, but the answers are always way to vague, and multi worded.
I hate the NYTimes crosswords too.

I know on the scratch n sniffs, the store pays a certain price for the roll of cards, or stack of cards.
I forget what percentage they say is for the store, but they have to normally pay out all the winnings on those, unless it is a special high win and those are far and few between.
A couple of times, he felt lucky and bought an entire box for himself, just to see if he would hit a bigger winner than they payout. Didn't happen! Other than he got a few blisters from scratching all of them off to see, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We have vending machines that dispense all the lotto tickets Missouri has to offer. The number draw tickets also can be purchased from the customer service desk which has it's own machine to print out the tickets. All the scratch cards, however, must be had via the vending machines. Those scratch cards must come in bundles, which the seller probably pays for, and I don't know who loads them into the machines. I've never seen anybody tinkering with the lotto vending machines. However, I have purchased winning tickets from Dierbergs and cashed them it at Schnucks, and vice versa. Buying and cashing in all depends on which store I happen to be in at the time. Nobody ever questioned me about where I bought the tickets. So, maybe the store does pay for a box of tickets, but I suspect they are reimbursed by the Lottery Commission for every winning ticket they turn in. I imagine it's like merchandise discount coupons. The seller is reimbursed the discount and then some for handling.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Down here, the places who sell the scratch n sniffs, take them out of a large plastic display unit and hand them to you.
It's the only things they sell where you must pay first, then get the cards, hi hi.
Same with the machine version where you tell them your numbers. Pay first!
The one restaurant we went to who used to sell some of them, decided to quit doing so.
Said it was costing him too much in cashier labor to handle doing them. They also never had a big winner for them to get a chunk from that either, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The Illinois lottery tickets were sold the same way as you describe for Tennessee. There might be places in Missouri which also do over the counter sales, but I never go shopping in those stores. I got to wonder how much cashier time and expense it actually costs the store to sell lottery tickets. I think that's a lame excuse. It reminds me of the small grocery that is close to my house. They have a butcher shop as well as some groceries. Now they also sell liquor. The butcher would make Poor Boy sandwiches for take out, the likes of which I've not seen anywhere else. I'd go there frequently for the sandwich but also frequently purchased several cuts of meat. One day I went as usual and the butcher told me they don't do the sandwich thing anymore because it takes too much time away from the butcher. Really? Well, I stopped buying the sandwiches and stopped buying my meat there too. I only go to that store when I absolutely have to and then it's to buy a single item. So, it might have cost them more than they wanted to spend to make sandwiches, but now it's costing them lost sales of their expensive meat too.

Oddly enough a few months ago I saw a sign in their window claiming they are making Poor Boy's once again. I have yet to go back to find out.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

We had a tavern near the florist, on the same side of the road, who sold the very best plate lunches, price was right too.
After a few fast food places moved to town, they cut down what choices you had, until it was either roast beef and smashed potatoes or a chicken breast with cooked down green beans. NO mix and match like before either.
Then when a couple of more fast food joints opened, no more plate lunches and they even stopped making hamburgers.
They did keep their expensive dinner menu for another year, then no more food at all.
Since dad knew the family well, he was told that the cost to fire up the oven, grill and stove, was costing them more than they made in food sales.
After they stopped that, dad found he liked Bonnie Butter Beef Patties and would fry them in a skillet himself, hi hi.

Our best roast beef place here called Vic's closed down also. But that was because the owner retired and sold the place. It became something else, like used cars or sales of some type.