I need a shoulder to cry on

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: I need a shoulder to cry on

Post by yogi »

I suppose there are a few more branches I could work on at Ancestry.com, but I've lost interest in them due to their paywall. They have a function to print out the trees people make, but you need an industrial size plotter in order to get it all on one sheet. I've tried to replicate some of the tree manually, but that turned out to be a time consuming task with way more detail than I want to deal with. I believe Family Search will also print out their version of the tree but in text format. That all means I would have to go through a lot of trouble if I made some kind of document to distribute to interested family members. What you did sounds marvelous, but certainly had to be a labor of love. A lot of labor in fact.

There are some loose ends in my current version of the family which could be resolved if I saw what other people found out. I ran across at least three other trees with my family member in them, but only could view them if I coughed up some cash. Frequently I'll see the nickname of a contributing member and I am fairly certain there are ways to contact those contributors. I certainly am amazed to find several people in the big family picture looking into the genealogy. I just don't know of any living members who would care one iota about what I documented. It's just as well, because I'm certain a lot what I constructed would get rejected by peer review. LOL

Many many years ago we bought a Shi Tzu from a breeder who AKC registered the pup. It was a male called Pater of Kungsholm, or some such thing. I suppose if you are showing your dogs or breeding them as pedigreed, all that paperwork is valuable. But really, there has to be millions, if not billions, of dogs in that registry. I suppose that's why they can get a couple thousand per pup, but we have been happy with our rescue dogs of unknown origin.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I almost deleted the Bara tree on my page, but thought I had better check with you first.
Actually, I thought I deleted the Bara Gary tree already, which is why I didn't do that yet.
I thought perhaps what is appearing in my list is a link to yours, which in that case wouldn't let me delete it anyhow.
I do get a hint for Bara tree from time to time, but when I check it is something useless or something we already have showing.

The old original Family Tree Maker let you print out your ENTIRE family tree, but it did so on 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of paper you could then tape together on the wall. I did this at my house in Creve Coeur, and it was like 7 feet long and 5 feet high, if set to show everyone and where they belonged in the tree. This was back in the days of Dot matrix tractor drive paper too.
What was great though, is that program would let you print out a family unit page that fit on one or two sheets well.

When I worked at MRTC, we had aerial photo's we stitched together to make a humongous wall map of our pipeline paths.
And back then, aerial photography was not always 100% true to scale, due to a plane being high or low or tilted, whatever.
So, we had to print the film first, then take each shot and manually check the scale based on what was in the image.
Do a few calculations, then go back to the film and reprint it with new range calculations. This was the only way you could get everything to line up properly in all directions, and even then, sometimes we had to fudge a bit.
The map was in black and white on purpose because we were continually taking out an image and adding a new one as changes were made to the area the pipes went through.

Don't kid yourself, genealogy is very hard work for it being a hobby, but is beneficial to many. A person you see as a contributor to some sources could be so far away from you, but may have one family member who has distant ties back to your family, you may never find on your own. Well, unless you become crazy like me and build a tree of over 170,000 linked individuals with sources to prove they are in the right place on the tree. Even then, I've had some that were errors, but that happened during research and disconnected from my tree when I found I was barking up the wrong tree, hi hi. But on Ancestry they keep all that there just the same.

In fact, the way I found our family member holding much of the data from our pre-German ancestors was through the name of the person who they appeared in their tree as one of my people. They checked and said not related, so I messaged them back and said, maybe, maybe not, but what I need is the person where you got the resource from, as I know some of what you have does match my people. He didn't contact me back for about two weeks, and then when he did, he sent me an e-mail address of a person he thought was in my family and had lots of information that seems to fit what is on my tree, but not his.
Sure enough, that was the guy who had the kind of verifiable documentation I desperately needed, and with ways to double check those documents in other places for further verification they were our family from the Holy Roman Empire.
Interestingly enough, once I finally did have the names and locations down in my tree, only then did I begin getting more sources from places like Genealog, and some French sources that were converted to English. And then after doing all that research of checking on my own, I find he had already passed the info down to other family members I could still get in touch with, at the time that is, they are long gone now, and without sending me the copies I had requested.

Almost all of my dogs have been rescues in later years. But early on, I did register a few with the AKC, back when you had to supply them with 3 names to choose from, and normally all names were LONG so they would match somewhere without a double. Both of my Doxies, Mimsy, and Myrrh, were names never before used by any pooch in the AKC which prompted them to call me personally with a congratulations. They also wanted to know if I had access to their database to find a name not in it, hi hi. I also told them the name of my cat since it was unique and they checked and that name was not in there either, so the lady I spoke with asked if she could use that name for her pooch, and I said sure, you are welcome to. I won't mention it here because it is a part of my security questions or passwords at various locations around the web.

They have the same type of registries for many things, like horses, and other animals, including birds, and I know they do for exotic chickens. Plus I think there is a registry also for purposely cross-bred dogs the AKC does not accept as a breed.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My activity in the genealogy department has subsided but not disappeared. Thanks to you I now have a much better insight into my roots and I now realize this could be a never ending task. People keep having kids. Going back in history sounds interesting but not enough for me to give it any real effort. As you rightly point out genealogy is a lot of work and I'm in it for the hobby aspects. I have to congratulate Ancestry.com for making all that information easily accessible to the general public. Unfortunately they have left me with the impression that they are today no more than a common Internet money grab operation. At one time they must have offered a useful free service in order to gather a following, but you can't run a large service like that for gratis. For the time being I don't need to pay to see their compiled data lists because most of it is not proprietary. If I wanted to see what they are selling i could find much of it elsewhere. I have a few more things to look into on that Ancestry version of my family tree, but I can't say when I'll get around to it. I only know that I will do it.

You are a remarkable person on many levels and I will say again how much I appreciate your encouragement and enlightenment in my searches. You went well beyond the call of duty by actually gathering valuable sources for me, which by the way must have modified that original tree you are saving. If I understand this correctly your Bara tree is not the current version and likely not totally accurate. It was an early effort after all. Considering all that I don't see a need for me to refer back to that original construction and you may delete at any time. I still have a copy of it in my Ancestry profile should I need it. What I have documented in my account is good enough for me, and if needed you can always prune my tree given that you are an official editor. That, to me, is way more valuable than a first effort at constructing a tree.

I don't know if we will ever get another pooch. The last few were a heartache when we had to put them down, and wife is not talking about how she misses walking the dog. Then, too, she hasn't been feeling at her best for a few months so that things might change. Regardless, we won't be getting a pure bred from a breeder. There are a lot of loose dogs roaming the neighborhood and a lot of people trying to find their owners. If we really were interested, I'm certain we could literally pick up a stray. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I understand whole heartedly!
I think this is why I said forget everything except tracing your paternal line as back as far as you could go first.
Then take the paternal side of your mother and do the same next.
And then you can do the same thing with your wife's paternal side of the family.
These three things normally give you more information than most folks really care about later.
Plus it gives you a lot of data as to where you were from, and in some cases you find out what their occupations were.
All the rest is just space filling hobby work, where it really can get addicting to work on.

I looked at it again last night, and I did remove the Bara/Gary file at some point, and the one I have is there because I am linked to the one you developed. It would be perfectly OK with me if you wanted to remove that link to me.

All of our current pooches are older rescue dogs. So sadly, they don't have much longer to live. Even so, we've always loved having two or more dogs around to mess up the house, and track mud in.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had a pet dog nearly all my life. Then I traded the pet dog for a lovely wife for a few years. Once we had children there was no time to care for a puppy so we went without for several years. I'm not sure anymore how long that hiatus lasted but the first doggie we got while married was the one I mentioned earlier and from a breeder. We only had one dog for most of our married life, but then a co-worker asked me if I knew anyone that wanted a pedigree Schnauzer. The current owners bought a new house and apparently a new dog to go with it. But the dog was not trained well and became a submissive wetter. So they were going to have her put down to fix that problem. We took our Shi Tzu dog to visit the schnauzer and they seemed to get along. Thus we relieved that family of a burden and had two dogs. The submissive wetter was not too difficult to train. Once she gained some confidence in us she did her thing outside like her partner. The Shi Tzu is bred to be a lap dog which is what my wife desires. The schnauzer was way more active and playful which is why I liked her. She seemed pretty smart too and obedient. I would let her loose in the unfenced back yard and only had to yell NO! for her to stop and not go out of bounds. The Shi Tzu had no idea what the work NO meant. LOL

If having you as an editor is sending you spam messages then perhaps it is best that I remove you from the ranks. I feel better knowing an expert is available when I need help, but in no way do I want that to be a burden for you. I know about junk mail and how annoying it can be.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Some of the dogs I've had over the years have been real stinkers, and a couple I considered untrainable, when it was in their nature to defy authority, hi hi. I've had some really excellent dogs who cared for all the other dogs and watched out for them, and a few who keep an eye on me to make sure I'm OK.

Last night I discovered the Bara/Gary file was still up, I was just looking in the wrong place for it is all. It didn't appear in the normal daily list, but only if I went to the Tree's Listing, and there it was. I deleted the Bara/Gara tree, and apparently that is where all the rogue hints were coming from, and why when I looked at your tree, they were duplicates.
Getting rid of the dead tree will probably stop those rogue hits. At least it should!
yogi

Post by yogi »

the very first dog I had, by the name of Pal, was a black fox terrier. At least that is what I recall people telling me she was. Being a kid at the time we got along fabulously because she was very active and liked to play and roam about the neighborhood with me. Until we acquired the schnauzer I mentioned earlier most of the doggies we had were cute and friendly, but that's about all I could say for them. I don't recall any of them being mean or gnarly, but a few seemed truly stupid. I suspect there was some inbreeding involved.

You are still editor of my tree and I'll keep it that way until you request otherwise. Hopefully the spam problem was solved by deleting that extra copy of my family tree. I have two trees going on Ancestry and only am getting spam about one of them. The second tree is smaller and I hope someday to find a link between the two families. A lady who insisted all her life she was my cousin could not be proven as such. She was very nice and admired me a lot so that I still have hope for finding the missing link. I suspect it's in those marriage/divorce records I don't have access to, but maybe not. Perhaps she just wished she was my cousin.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Thanks to family photo's from days of yore, we have pictures of most of our animals over the years since I was a tyke.

Great, if I get any hints that look like they fit right, I will pass them on to you.

My meds should have worn off by now, but I'm having dizzy spells, which I think I can attribute to my eyes suddenly changing focus for some reason. I have to keep my head down to infinity to see close up right now, which in turn destroys my neck.
On the bright side, I am still breathing much better than the week before I went into the Horse-Pital.
yogi

Post by yogi »

On occasion I will experience dizziness. These infrequent episodes have been happening since I was in my thirties. I recall talking to my doctor about it back then and he could not come up with a cause or a treatment. The only good news there is that he admitted he was stumped. They are pretty rare and have increased in frequency but decreased in intensity since I've lived here in Missouri. It seems I"m more prone to it when the humidity is high, but almost all the time the eyes are involved. Too much time typing here on the computer can bring it on, but I seem to be able to short circuit it by simply stopping my computer activity and literally focusing on something else. My wife's vertigo also affected here eyes which would wiggle during an episode. It's al very strange in that dizziness is fairly common but nobody seems to have a cure. I don't doubt that the high potency drugs you have been taking would bring it on. It might take longer than desired to expel those demons, but you apparently are on the right track. Kudos to you my friend.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The hospital put me on Prednisone and Doxycycline for a week after discharge.
Since then, besides my feet swelling up like the Pillsbury Doughboy, I vision has changed drastically.

My glasses, which were perfectly set to the 3 primary distances are now so far out of whack, I cannot read, nor see in a distance clearly.
Just to read my computer screen, I have to tilt my head down and look through the infinity part of the lens, and then it is still very blurry.

I do have an eye doctor appointment coming up on the 25th, where I planned to get a script for new glasses this time.
But if my eyes are still messed up by then, it wouldn't make sense to order new glasses, when my eyes might correct themselves after the meds wear all the way off.
I just hope it is not something worse taking place with my eyes.
And not being in focus is really making me dizzy also!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I probably do not need to remind you that a list of side effects for any medication is readily available. Then again, if you can't read the fine print having the information on hand might not help. Perhaps Debi can look it up for you. Instinctively I would say the drugs are messing up your vision, but that's just a guess. The point is you might not need to worry very much if you knew the Prednisone and/or Doxycycline are the cause. You will purge your system of those things eventually, and your vision could normalize at that time. Regardless, it's good that you will be seeing an eye doctor in a few days. An opinion from him or her would be worth a lot more than what Google might have to say.

My wife's experiences have revealed that the sense of balance is primarily located in the ear. There is liquid and crystals that must be aligned properly to keep the ship afloat. I never heard about those crystals until recently. Doing certain head exercise can align them to where they should be at the risk of causing extreme dizziness while doing the exercise. The physical routine does help, but wife stopped because the cure was worse than the ailment. In her case she has allergies which tend to accumulate fluid in her ear, which in turn messes up the "balance" signals to the brain. I recall you mentioning your sinuses dripping a lot, and it is possible some of that fluid is leaking into the ears and causing the dizziness.

OK, I'll stop pretending I'm a doctor now. It's just that I learned way more than I wanted to know when wife was dealing with her dizziness. :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The odd thing is, I've had Prednisone a few times in the past with no problems.
But then too, they didn't add Doxycycline with it, and I wasn't on Budesonide at the time either.
My doctor said Budesonide is not a steroid. My sister said it was a steroid.
After a little research I found it is a cortosteroid (sp), which is not considered a steroid/steroid, hi hi.
So it could be the combination of Prednisone, Doxycycline, and Budesonide that did me in.
My feet are still not done with their swelling, but seem to be going down some.
Vision is not clearing up yet, but perhaps a very slight tad clearer.

When glasses are not in focus, they too can make one dizzy, along with the meds which do make you dizzy, one would think I was out on a bender, hi hi.
Yes, my nose pours like a waterfall, every morning, again around lunchtime, and after I get back to the office.
I take a Citrizine in the morning, only allowed one of those a day. And if my nose is still pouring when I get back to my office after lunch, I will take a Guifenesin. Rarely I may need a second one at bedtime.
Ironically, I have a wet ear and a dry ear. The wet or oily ear is because I sleep on that ear at night, so the humidity stays in it. Fortunately I never have wax buildup which is good.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I never could understand the reason for ear wax's existence. Apparently some species of mankind don't have it, but us caucasian folks do. I've read that it's supposed to keep the soot out of the ear canal, but that doesn't make sense either. If the wax filters enough dirt, all that debris will clog up the hearing mechanism and just make things worse. I think the alien who invented humans overlooked a few details.

I don't know what all my mom was taking, but it amounted to trying to keep a balance between a dry nose and getting the fluids out of her breathing mechanisms. We used an OTC drug called Musinex to drain the piping, but then she was also on a diuretic that just made her drip more. All we could do was adjust the Musinex intake as necessary because the diuretic was flushing the fluids from her lungs.

It's great that you are noticing at least some slight improvement. The mixing of drugs is a delicate balancing act and not all doctors are familiar with the potential side effects. I guess that is why they are said to be "practicing" medicine.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Most of us don't have enough ear wax to do us any good.
Albeit, they did discover that those who do have heavy ear wax, they can put it on a fever blister on their lip and it will heal up faster than using anything else, pharmaceutical or otherwise.

Mucinex is Guaifenesin! It does help dry out the nose, lungs, and also your mouth while it is at it, hi hi.

As of this morning, my vision is finally clearing up, but very slightly so far.
In addition, my feet have not swollen up as much as they have been either.

I'm going to have to remember all of this and tell the docs, No More Steroids for me!