Major Announcement

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Major Announcement

Post by Kellemora »

I didn't know compressed air could blow out enough of the water that it wouldn't still drain down to the lowest areas and still freeze, but if the pipes are that soft black plastic as normally used in sprinkler system, it should handle it OK.

I buried mine 30 inches deep, so I don't have to worry about it freezing, except for the top part which gets disconnected from the main run and being level, it drains on its own OK. Or did. It is no longer used anyhow.

A back flow preventer is required here on outdoor faucets, it just proved an air-gap between the hose and the bib.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't suppose every last drop of water gets drained, but I have watched them purge the system. They have a giant air compressor in their truck and connect it to those brass fittings in the picture. I have at least six branches in the irrigation system but they are not all going at the same time. They purge each branch separately and the water comes out the sprinkler heads. When it's all air they move to the next branch and repeat the process. I have three tiers of land on my property, all with sprinklers. The street is easily ten feet higher than the low end of the property by my neighbor's fence. I would think it would all drain if the bottom piping could be opened to let the water flow out. The sprinkler heads probably would not be harmed by a frost, but that gizmo in the photograph would be. So they claim. The shutoff valve that was just replaced is easily 30" below ground level, but the rest of the piping most likely is not.

I would not miss the irrigation system if it were disabled. However, since it is already installed, it might be an issue if we ever sell the house. The new owners would want a working system. That means I'd have to remove the piping, or at least all the sprinkler heads if I decided to disable the system. It might be worth the trouble, but the city already told me it would have to be inspected if we ever shut it off completely.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You can laugh at me if you want. But when I lived in my apartment in Kirkwood, the one where I had all the ham radio antenna's hidden in plain sight. I was given exclusive use of the side yard at my apartment, and I made it very pretty out there. A wishing well, green ground lighting up to the tree, orange lighting against the orange bricks of the end of my apartment.
I installed 4 sprinkler heads up in the tree, just under the lowest branches. One sprayed east over the yard, the other one west over the yard, and the other two were directed toward the two corners of the end of the apartment to cover that ground area.
I had a 3 foot wide flower bed that ran the width of the apartment building against the wall, and against the wall behind the flowers I had an irrigation tube, which is just a tube with holes in it, running the entire width of the building.
I had some tomato plants near the corner of the building, behind the flowers, but basically out of sight unless you were in my yard. I set this end up on 3 small tiers, so all I had to do was turn on the water to the top tier and it would flow down to fill each tier and then the excess went down along the row of bushes, and that's when I knew to turn off that tap, hi hi.
I did not use solenoids or timers though. I had a quick disconnect on the faucet, so I could switch to what I wanted to water.
The sprinklers up in the tree were fed from a second tap on the back of the building, normally used for folks to wash their cars, so I had to remove my quick disconnect faucet end else it would get stolen or set-aside when someone did wash their car, which technically was pretty rare to take place at that area, since there was a better area on the far side of the parking lot.

I think I talked about my wishing well once before. It held a tall light that shined down on the steps to the parking lot, but that pole was also one of my antenna's, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

One of the more fascinating parts of your Kirkwood apartment story is the fact that you obtained exclusive use of the side yard. It makes me wonder what kind of magic power you had over the landlord who allowed such a thing. You did in fact add value and aesthetic beauty to the property, but most landlords I heard about would not give their tenants that much latitude with the landscape. You were, and are, a creative individual so that you could be trusted to improve appearances, yet how did the landlord know that? Dealing with plants is in your genes, but the beauty of the whole story is the underlying motives for your efforts: an invisible antenna farm in plain sight.
:lmao2:

I don't know about apartment life. It might come down to us living in a condo at some point in the future, which is an apartment that I would own instead of rent. I've seen some nice ones but there would be no tampering with the landscape. I don't do a lot outside anymore, but I would miss the ability to dig things up if I wanted to do so. My grandpa was a farmer and I think his genes are built into my DNA. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

When I was looking at his apartments, there was the one on the end that was a total wreck, all the inside doors were broken off or heavily damaged, as were the walls. Over half of the floor tiles were broken or missing as well.
These apartments only had one through the wall AC unit, like you see in motels.
I agree to take it As-Is and do all the repairs myself, but he had to give me a 5-year lease with a frozen rent of 100 bucks a month +10% a year maximum increase, plus pay for drywall, joint compound and paint. I would pay for the indoor doors, carpeting, blinds, and drapes. Plus anything else I decided to add to the apartment as a permanent fixture.
It looked totally awesome when I finished some two or three months later.
The living room had gold carpeting and avocado drapes, and the bedrooms had avocado carpeting and gold drapes. Plus the wall paint was only slightly tinted to blend in with the carpeting. All the woodwork was done in gloss white, and the walls were semi-gloss instead of flat, easier to keep clean.
He was totally amazed at how beautiful the apartment turned out.

After I moved in, being the end apartment, I found we were always low on water pressure and hot water which came from a central water heater at the other end of the building. So I went through each apartment and fixed all the faucets that were dripping. This cut down his sewer and water bills a considerable amount, so he asked me to do all four buildings, which I did.
Come spring, the mowing company he used did nothing but make a royal mess. I had that old Milbradt reel type riding lawn mower and decided to start mowing our two apartments before the mowing people would show up. Then he asked me to do the other two buildings also, and in exchange he would make the side yard private and named me as service manager, to stop any possible complaints.

I did a whole lot more around those apartments than he ever did to keep them looking nice, and for this, he never raised my rent after it was $112.50 a month. That's how it stayed the remaining 4 years I was there. That extra 2.50 a month was to cover my getting new appliances on his dime. I had my own which were old and dying, and he figured it was a good deal to get new so when I did move out, he would have an easier time rerenting the place.
Ironically, the same year I was getting ready to move, he decided to sell the place, and the new owners planned on gut rehabbing the entire complex, so they didn't want me to leave the carpeting or drapes, or anything else in the apartment when I moved out.

I knew quite a few folks who lived in Condo's and every single one of them hated it.
You are responsible to pay for anything they chose to do outside, so you are always getting unexpected bills for same.

There are some one bedroom, kitchenette, living room apartments here for seniors that start at 550, but most of them are around 650 to 750 a month. The kitchenette is only a sink with a 24 inch cabinet on either side, and open to the living room.
The wall to the bedroom is only wide enough for a 2-seat couch. Not even the size of a motel room. I don't make enough money from SS to even live there. I'm better off staying in my house!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Thinking over what you did in that apartment, I have a suspicion you would make a great politician. LOL Well, not really. You are way too honest for that. But, you are pretty good at making deals. Both you and the landlord benefited from your rental time and I am guessing you actually enjoyed the time you put into making things better. Too bad the next guys were going to gut the place.

I know Knoxville is relatively inexpensive to live in, or near. You are not the only person I've met who lives in that area. Be that as it may, rentals in general have become very expensive ever since the pandemic. A few people I know got big raises for no apparent reason other than the landlord could do it. The advantage of apartments is the lack of outside maintenance, plus the living quarters are typically compact and easy to get around. You probably would benefit from that kind arrangement, but there are downsides as you point out. Rent is one. You may not have to do the landscaping, but you do have to pay somebody to do it. All those neighbors just the other side of the walls and ceilings would make me paranoid. Assisted living might be a good compromise, but that option is not cheap. In your situation it probably is best to stay put. At least you will be comfortable as much as you can be.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I spent half of my life doing home renovations, and doing my apartment was technically a piece of cake compared to other houses I had to restore from disasters.

Hmm, I find for the most part, a lot of things in Knoxville are higher than back in St. Louis.
But yes, some things are a lot cheaper, but all the rest is on par with the country.
We may only have a 60 dollar personal property tax, unlike St. Loo with 600 dollars.
But they make up for it in property taxes. Especially after they doubled them.
One advantage of living in a poor area of town, our taxes are about half of the next community over from us.
But even so, based on square footage, our taxes here on my house are double of what they were in Creve Coeur.
But then Creve Coeur has double twice and we've only doubled once.

Trying to find someone to do outside yard work around here is like looking for hens teeth.
Kids these days don't want to work at anything for anyone.

When my mom sold her house and moved into a seniors apartment, it was 3 grand per month.
And if she ever became an invalid, she would have had to move out.
She complained about having to pay 35 dollars for lawn care which included trimming and hedge trimming.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Since I like numbers ... I looked it up. I could not get comparable numbers but I did get a general indication of the cost of living in Knoxville and St Louis. Knoxville would weigh in at 85% the national average while St Louis comes in at 82.7 overall. That overall number gets broken down into a dozen categories so that your comments are points well made. The state of Missouri comes in at 85.6% of the national average. And, as long as I was looking things up, Cook County, the place I left to live in Missouri, comes in at 105.7% of the national average.

I have two bushes against the front of the house. They are small and less than knee high. They grow 4-6 inches per year and have been growing for about six years now. I never trimmed them because I figured they were too small for that. I might trim them this fall however. Last fall and late summer there were three occasions when kids, not quite teenagers, knocked on my door offering to trim the bushes. I thought about it for two seconds and decided they need to get some on the job training elsewhere before I pay them to butcher my cute little bushes. I will say that last year was the first time in all the eight years I lived here than any kids offered to do anything. Well, I take that back. During the pandemic, on Christmas Day, one kid came by and offered to walk the dog. I didn't ask if he wanted to be paid, but told him that's the only exercise the dog and my wife get so that we will do our own walking. I did think it was nice of him to offer, however. Now, when it comes to something useful, like cutting the grass, no kids are to be found for that kind of job.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I never did like percentages used to give an indication of things.
For example: Knoxville says they have No Personal Property Tax. No, not by that name!
On cars we have what is called a Wheel Tax. And in some cases, they even tax riding lawn mowers as a convenience tax.

Kids don't want to do anything anymore!

Not good news from the doctor today.
Upper GI issues that could be deadly. In fact, the expectancy for life is only 3 to 7 years with that.
I also have an Enlarged Prostrate now too, for which they ordered a medication for. But it doesn't work instantly, so I'll have to suffer for a few days to see if the meds work at all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The use of statistics can be misleading, but it doesn't take much to understand what the numbers are really telling you. You wrote that it's more expensive in Knoxville for certain items, but way cheaper for others. The cost of living percentages I quoted say the same thing. The numbers get into more detail and specifics but you don't need to know that kind of detail to understand how much comes out of your budget every week.

The claim is Gen-Z people don't want to do anything. Not even get a job and work for a living. That might be true in general but I have a Gen-Z granddaughter who got a college degree so that she could support herself if necessary. Then again, I have another Gen-Z granddaughter who lives in NYC with a few other like thinkers. She is the one who isn't sure about her gender. So, as usual, the latest generation of kids have their own ideas. Us baby boomers are rapidly fading away into the background so that those Gen-Z people will soon be taking over leadership of things.

I'm sorry the doctor didn't have great news for you, but for as long as I've known you, you have beat the odds in several ways. Prostate issues are a pain in all the wrong places. I had to have mine removed. The good news is that treatment for prostate issues is fairly effective compared to other diseases.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The problem is they never tell you the percentages of exactly what.
One of the main foolers is when they talk about gasoline price being X percent higher in one area than another.
When the FACTS are, gasoline prices are exactly the same across the continental U.S.
What makes the difference is the amount of taxes imposed by each area, but they never mention that is the reason for different prices in different areas.

Just think, all the Gen-Z people can now vote, and like you said, some of them have mighty strange ideas of what should be.

It's the GI problems that have me and the doc worried the most. I'm seriously in pain and it's not going away.
I've only had one of the power pills for the prostrate and it is already helping out there.
But, the pills do play havoc on my heart rate and breathing, so today has been exceptionally hard in that area too.
Sitting still I'm using 2 lpm just to hold 95, and have to crank it up to 5 lpm to get up and walk a few feet, then rest.

What I need is for my brain to be transplanted into a much younger body, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your version of gasoline prices is a good example of what I was talking about regarding statistics. The so called "price of gasoline" you hear quoted is the price you pay at the pump. That price includes the cost of the refined gasoline, and it is that refined gasoline that changes price very quickly. The taxes stay the same for a long period of time, which means those so called gasoline prices are a very good reflection on what is happening to the cost of the basic product. The quotes are usually compared to a national average, which I doubt that anybody actually pays. It's an average after all. Thus, the statistics do a great job of indicating what is going on in the gasoline refining business, but is misleading regarding local costs.

When I was being treated for prostate cancer the doctor claimed that all men get it eventually. They often die from something else first because that kind of cancer grows very slowly. That is also the reason why it's relatively easy to treat. It does not spread rapidly. There are other problems to be had with the prostate gland and hopefully you seem to be in that "other" category. Those issues too can be treated fairly easily. I've had acid reflux problems in my distant past and am now taking a pill daily to fix it. Before the pill I would have pains and problems only when I tried to eat something. All that being said, the worst pains I ever experienced in my entire life were kidney stones. They too are easy to treat, but you don't want to have to treat them if you can possibly avoid it. I was told by a nurse once that the pain from the stones was worse than natural childbirth pains. I do believe that.

Your brain transplant comment is humorous, but I am under the impression that is what happens when the body shuts down. We lose all our senses, but our consciousness remains. Exactly where and how is up to discussion, but I do feel consciousness is a universal entity that for some unknown reason decides it needs a body for a short period of time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Off-hand I don't remember what the Federal and State taxes ares, but as you said, those are fixed amounts per gallon.
But our County and City taxes are both a percentage, the County is fairly cheap, like 3%, but the City taxes are up around 9% because it is basically a Sales Tax which is not shown separately. They tried to show it separately and it backfired on them.

My prostate pill started working on day one, so I guess it wasn't that bad, yet.
But my other problems, they did give me some pills which I think are to control acid, although I don't have acid.
They say you could and not know it. Well, yeah, our stomach works on acid, much stronger than what is in soda.
I'm full of shit, literally. I've not had a bowel movement now in six days, and brother, I am miserable.
I went to the doc because I could only eat a couple of bites of food and my esophagus was full. If I tried to take another bite, I would hack up even more.
The doc gave me some liquid to drink for that problem, and if I don't have a Movement in B-Major by tomorrow, I'm supposed to go to the ER on Saturday for them to flush me out. I'm not constipated though. I am very bloated. A little minor pain, but not enough for them to say I have a blocked bowel though. At least not yet. If my pain does shoot up, head to the ER.
I can't tell you how miserable I am right now.

I hope I never get kidney stones. They say plain water would dissolve them. Trouble is, no way to get plain water to them.
My uncle had them and he though he was going to die. He was a heavy beer drinker like my dad. Whether that has anything to do with it or not, I don't know. I drink a LOT of soda myself, but it is Zero everything, hi hi. Colored water!
yogi

Post by yogi »

We took a short trip to a place in Illinois yesterday and I noted that the gas prices were at least 30 cents/gal higher than around here. That was one of the first things I noticed when we moved here and contributes to the lower cost of living. To be honest I don't know who all is taxing our gasoline, but because Missouri doesn't require the extra refining to cut down pollution we pay less in this state.

I experienced all manner of intestinal problems before I was put on Nexium. Apparently I have a hiatal hernia which allows for acid reflux. It took a few years for it to deteriorate the esophagus, and I got to the point you are at now. Couldn't eat much. Some x-rays confirmed the doctor's suspicions and he prescribed Nexium which controls the stomach acid. No more reflux and I can eat just about anything now. Fortunately I didn't experience bowel problems, but I do know there are OTC meds you can take to clear things up. I've had a few colonoscopies and had to go through that bowel cleaning prep. All I can say is that it's amazing how much is in there.

Apparently there are two kinds of kidney stones. The more common is calcium based and the ones I had which are uric acid based. The nurses said cranberry juice will prevent the stones, but all they told me other than than is to drink a lot of water. Not sure if that meant water will prevent the formation of if water just keeps the kidney function up. They have a way of using ultra sound radiation to dissolve kidney stones, but I didn't qualify for that. Mine were in a spot that required surgery.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You'll find this hard to believe, but when I first started driving, gas was around 33 to 35 cents a gallon.
However, while on a road trip heading to Colorado, while in Kansas, I hit a whole string of Cities Service gas pumps and the fuel was only 15 cents per gallon. There were no gas stations, just the pumps mounted on concrete slabs, and you fed them quarters. This surprised the heck out of me! Later I found out those pumps were along their gas line, and the gas line fed an underground tank near each pump. Electric for the pumps were on a tall Utility Pole and those were fed from the power lines on the highway. Was that way again a couple of years later and they were all gone.

Well, I finally had a Movement in B-Major, and two more in B-Minor, hi hi. I sure feel a whole lot better now too.

That's a bummer on your stones. I guess they were not rolling stones, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well ... I am old enough to recall what you mentioned about gasoline prices and vending machines. LOL I don't think it ever came down to 15 cents/gal but there were gas wars between local stations and the price came down to 19 cents/gal on more than one occasion. I got my driving license at age 16. That is the same year my neighbor took me on a road trip to LA down the old and official Rt 66. I still have a lot of great memories of that trip, and you reminded me of one of them, Gasoline vending machines sans attendants and brick buildings. We stopped to gas up at them. This neighbor was a truck driver, but not OTR. I guess he knew a few things including all the good truck stops. It was a fantastic trip, I must say, but today in 2023 I can't see going 2000 miles down a two lane highway all the way to the west coast.

I don't know if you ever got to Alton, Illinois, but we passed through it yesterday on our way home from Grafton. We went to Grafton because they have a super restaurant up on a ridge overlooking the Mississippi. The problem is that the only way to get to that restaurant is by using the cog train up the hill. Wife has a fear of heights so that we found an oyster bar instead. But, the most amazing part of the trip was crossing into Missouri from Alton. They have one amazing bridge for that purpose. I guess there is an old historical bridge too, but we crossed over that baby in the picture. I wish I wasn't the driver. I would have taken pictures and/or movies. The real bridge is much more impressive than the picture.

AltonBridge.jpg
AltonBridge.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've been on several long haul trips on 2 lane roads. Lots of beautiful sights to see out there, or used to be, before the chain stores took over the world.

My late wife and I used to go over to Alton many many times, found lots of neat places to eat with good food too.
Sometimes we ate at Pierre Marquette when their dining room was open.
Also ate a few times at this place with a large aquarium with windows at each of the eating tables. That was cool too.
Took the Free Ferry a few times and also the Golden Eagle Ferry every time we were up that way.
Even had a kid say to us once "Just shinny on down the rock road to the Golden Eagle Ferry" and he did so in broken English with a lisp, hi hi.

I know I mentioned this before, but I designed the Eddy Current Brake for the new Alton Lock n Dam project.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've heard of Alton many times, but this week was the first time I've ever been there. The town looked like the kind of place I could live in if I ever moved back to Illinois, but I really don't know much about it. The fact that you say there are good eateries there is good news. There was a ferry up in Krafton which made sense in that particular location. I don't see why anyone would use a ferry near Alton when there is just a marvelous bridge available. There was something similar to that bridge in Savanah, Georgia, going into South Carolina. The Georgia bridge was a lot longer but just as exotic and modern looking. Didn't get any pictures of that one either.

We traveled up Rt 79 to Louisianan, MO, crossed over and came back down the other side of the Mississippi. There were no big towns until we got to Alton which might be the reason why I didn't see any recognizable chain stores along the way. I also noted that the view of the river from the Illinois side was much better. We saw a lot of backwaters, unlike Missouri which was all farmland. Only saw the river for a very short stretch and it wasn't impressive. In any case there are indeed a lot of interesting sights to be seen. I just don't get why people live in those one horse towns. They are so isolated.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Well, it is sort of a Tradition to take the Golden Eagle Ferry whenever one is up that way.
Tricky to find coming from the Illinois side too.

I and my cousin used to drive around the area, putting on at least 100 miles every weekend night.
A lot of that was tooling the food stops, be we would go up to Chain of Rocks and a few other places.
A couple of times we skipped school so we could spend the entire day and night on the road, going as far as Benton Kentucky or as far north as the start of the Mississippi River, and a few other choice places to go.

One of our goals was to go to each of the states that touch Missouri and get our picture in front of the state signs, going both ways, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I like the idea of picture taking of nearby state welcoming signs. I'm not kid anymore but it is the kind of thing that would be fun to do. Also, I thought the source of the Mississippi was in Minnesota. Did you guys actually drive that far on your road trips?

Speaking of driving, I have a story to tell you. That trip to Grafton, IL, was not enough for my wife of many years. She decided we need to go up to Chicago and park in some fancy hotel for a week just to get away from Missouri for a while. Sounded great to me especially since my youngest daughter lives up that way and the hotel is only a hop, skip, and a jump from her home. They are remodeling their kitchen by the way, and I might have some interesting construction stories before we leave town. But that's not the full story.

We checked in and I left wife at the curb with the luggage so that I could go park the car before we went up to the room. On the way back to her I tripped and landed face down on the concrete. My nose was damaged and since I'm on blood thinners any little leaks seem bigger. Well, needless to say it was a messy start to this peace and quiet week. I don't think there was much damage but my knee got banged and I feel congested, much like having a head cold. The down side of that is I don't want to blow my nose to relieve the pressure for fear of starting the bleeding again. As of this moment I'm a little sore but everything else seems to be going normal. Well, almost everything. The room we got did not have a working phone. that desktop phone was much like a mobile smartphone and linked to the room. Thus it could not be swapped out. So ,they gave us a new room the next day which is close but not exactly like the first one. On top of all that I am consigned to using this laptop for typing. It isn't too bad but still nothing like the desktop. Thus, if I don't' get around to answering your posts right away, you have some idea why not. But I see a lot of free time ahead, so that I may not miss a beat after all.