Major Announcement

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Major Announcement

Post by Kellemora »

Back when we made the trip up to Minnesota, to a Park there (forget the name of the park), this is where the Mississippi starts.
However, what they call the beginning of the Mississippi river is already a river you can wade through, around 20 feet wide.
We followed that upriver to a place where we could get our feet on both banks of the river and took a picture.
Back then there was a sign that said, "This is point of beginning of the Mississippi River." It was also less crowded for picture taking by moving another 25 feet upstream.

I had a brand new 1996 Impala we used on most of our long trips. That 396 really ate the gas too!
Not yet being 21 years old, some of our trips, like to Las Vegas, was a wasted trip, we couldn't get in anywhere, hi hi.
But most of our cruising was just around to all the local stops, most of them food places, fairly fast foods before fast foods became popular, hi hi.

Sorry you fell and busted up the schnozola. I always had my 2-meter handheld with me, and most repeaters let Hams passing through use their phone patch, if you ask polite enough. It helps when you are a member of a large and well recognized repeater group too. Back in those days there were public pay phones literally everywhere too.

I had a really bad morning again. Was up at 4:45 am sitting on the edge of my bed, debating on going to the hospital or not.
I ended up sitting there using a rescue inhaler every 20 minutes. And this was just to get me going good enough to make it to the kitchen so I could do my nebulizer treatments.
I wasn't able to make it up to my office, so Debi stayed home from work until I was able to get up here, and after I was doing OK, then she went on in to work, but called me like every half hour while she was there.
There is something about my office wherein I always feel better when I'm up here. Don't use up as much O2 either.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't recall the name of it but there is a small lake ahead of that Minnesota stream that eventually turns into Old Man River. A former friend of mine who lived up there claimed that to be the case. That picture of you standing on both banks of the river reminds me of another picture I saw many years ago. I believe it was one of the regulars at the time who came here on a daily basis. She was touring Equator where they have a chalk line marking the equator. And her picture was of her standing on both sides of the equator.

It's not too difficult to understand why you do better in your office than you do elsewhere in the house. You custom fitted it to your needs. It makes sense that you would thrive in such an environment. I would suggest you add sleeping facilities but that would put you at too great of a distance from help if you needed it. In any case I can also understand why you don't use as much O2 up in the office. You are comfortable and relaxed there.

I packed a first aid kit that i use to treat my legs when ulcers appear on the skin. It's one of the side effects of having poor circulation in the legs. At one point I had to visit the wound care unit of a local hospital. I watched what they did and it was actually pretty simple if I had the right equipment. They wrote a prescription for all the things I would need to care for myself and it turns out I can get all of it without a prescription. The insurance doesn't cover it when I pay out of pocket, but I don't use the kit very often. So, anyway, I packed up enough supplies to hold me over a full week if I needed it. So far I do not need to care for my legs, but some of those sponges and cotton swabs came in handy to patch up my nose. Seem to be doing better today. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

On one of my trips to Colorado, we sought out that place where you can stand on 4 states at the same time. Since my first time there, they built a monument and call it the Four States Monument, it's all paved and done up nice now. Utah, Arizona, and I think it was New Mexico, and of course Colorado all merge at that point.

Eight states touch Missouri, and I've been to all of them, not counting my OTR driving which hit all continental states.

Amen to that. My office is also my Man Cave, plus I have it climate controlled to the point I can change the temperature to suit myself at different times of the day. It IS my home away from home! And if I didn't have those darn heart attacks, I intended to build a full-bathroom and kitchen up here too, had it all laid out on my blueprints, right down to where each stud had to go to get it all to work out right.

I have this salve, not much of it, it is like a triple-biotic, but much stronger. The doc put some in a syringe to use on my toe after an operation that dealt with part of the bone. That stuff will heal a gash in one day, hi hi.
When I first moved down here, I had a commercial medical cabinet, and it was well stocked at the time I brought it.
Now, most of the things in it, one can no longer get, unless you have a contract with a company who stocks commercial location medicine chests.
However, that being said, for a short time I could get some of the refills via mail order from them.

I hope your nose is not black and blue, and is healing up properly.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I like the idea of being able to stand on four states simultaneously. Building a monument for that purpose seems like a great idea if it isn't commercialized. I guess there is a flag of some sort at the exact location of the north pole. If it wasn't so darned cold up there I might be tempted to try that just so I'd have a picture for Facebook. LOL

I also am enamored with the idea of having a man cave all to myself. But, you know, having a kitchen in it would seem to defeat the purpose. If I want to eat something more than a bag of chips, I'd have Door Dash deliver it, or something. The triple-biotic you mention sounds like amazing stuff. I have some kind of salve too, but it's not as powerful as what you describe. Most of the salves I used in the past simply were meant to keep the wound clean and protected. This stuff does that and promotes healing. I guess that's what wound care is all about, healing. It seems like useful stuff and should be available OTC, but it's not. Need doctor's script to get it.

Well, the nose is only faintly discolored at the bridge. It looks pretty good considering what I did to it. There must be a ton of gunk in those nasal cavities and it will take a few days for all of it to get washed out. I don't think it's bleeding anymore, but some of the stuff coming out is ugly.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think my brother said there is a big disk on the ground with terrazzo all around it now.

When I drove OTR, I hit a lot of places that were proud of something and made a visitors monument for them. Unfortunately, I was usually too busy and on a schedule to stop and enjoy many of them, except when I had layovers.

My idea behind the garage was to turn it into a house, and to do that it would need a full bath and kitchen. The office I built up here is nicer than most folks master bedrooms, and just as big, and has two four-foot closets like any master bedroom. But since it was built as an office to, it has outlets galore for two-line phones, FAX, electric, cable for both TV and Internet, etc.

Apparently a toe operation, even just removing part of a toenail is considered a major thing and prone to infection.

I have a very thin nose, so much so, it took an operation to open it back up for breathing.
And as Murphy's Law dictates, a few weeks after the surgery, I walked into a sliding glass door.

Glad your honker is not too much for wear and is healing up nicely.
yogi

Post by yogi »

We made it back home in one piece. It was nice to get out of the house, but nothing else about the trip went according to plan. That encounter my face had with the parking lot pavement was not a good start and it didn't get much better afterwards. My wife has a brother and a sister up there who we intended to visit. Her sister, if you can believe it, is in Branson, MO, where they have a cottage on the lake. Her brother was visiting one of his kids in Ohio. The good news is that my daughter was home and in the process of starting some kitchen remodeling. She probably would have been out of town too if it wasn't for that project. Then there was that smoke filled sky from those Canadian fires. We actually could not see the sun through all the smoke. Visibility on the way home was about 1/2 mile at best. Since things weren't going so well we decided to find the local bagel shop, stock up, and hit the road. Most of the trip was down I-55 which had several stretches of construction going on. Fortunately none of them were major delays. And, I have never seen as many State Troopers on that highway as we saw yesterday. I identified at lease six speed traps and several cars/trucks being pulled over at the side of the road. The troopers do a fine job of patrolling that route, but yesterday they were out in force. More than usual.

I understand now that you intended to make a house instead of an office. In that case a kitchen would make sense. Back in the horse and carriage days my grandpa had a dairy in the city and delivered milk. As you would expect there were stables in back of the house, and grandpa eventually made them into apartments. The attached barn was made into a huge garage for three or four cars. That's the house in which I spent my first 21 years in Chicago.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It's a shame your trip didn't go as planned. At least you got to see your daughter!
So, all the bears came out of hibernation. Sure glad you didn't Feed any of them, hi hi.

I saw a lot of that in the old huge mansions with carriage houses down in the city.
The houses were often divided up into a duplex or 4-plex, and the carriage houses became normal houses.

Mr. O sold his mothers monstrous mansion to Schnucks and rebuilt the 9 car garage into an impressive house.
Back when Mr. O's parents were alive, and he was growing up, it really was an elaborate well kept garden estate.

I always intended it to be an office, but I think ahead of all the options, and try to design things to fit all purposes.

Even before I started remodeling on the house here. While it still belonged to her mom. I thought out all the rooms, and got the measurements down to a gnats hair before I did anything. Just reclaiming wasted space from the kitchen was a godsend for her mom, and along with that came a 4 foot pantry. Her mom was more than amazed and impressed at all that space she never knew they had wasted. The irony is, Debi's dad was a master carpenter, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I don't know how to distinguish them properly, but there are carpenters and there are builders of structures who appear to be carpenters. I imagine carpenters making stuff out of wood, especially if you are a Master Carpenter. These fellows don't build houses nor care to. It's like a cabinet maker. That kind of carpenter makes masterpieces of furniture but would never try to build the room to put it in. I would guess you were the house (re)builder and Deb's dad preferred smaller projects.

My dad was named Joseph and the family compared him to the biblical Joseph who was a carpenter. Nobody ever compared me to that biblical Joseph's son, so I dunno how well named was my dad. LOL His dad was the grandpa who also rebuilt the stables into houses so that I guess some of the talent for working with wood was inherited. I myself like carpentry but can't say I'm very good at it. I always thought that if I had the right tools I could do better, but reading what you have written in these blogs I know it takes more than tools to be good at building anything. I'm probably too old to do cabinet making now, but that is what I had in mind most of my life. I realized early on that it required a lot of expensive equipment to do that kind of carpentry, which is the main reason I never pursued it in earnest.

The trip north was a disappointment, but then we haven't lived there for eight years. When we left town I wondered to myself how long it would take for me to feel out of place going back to visit. I think I have the answer now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW: My wife is still alive, thank God!
She is a cashier at Ace Hardware. A big Ford 350 Pick-up came crashing through the front of the store and took out the cash register stand and all she normally works. If she was in her normal position at the register, she would have been squashed.
She had taken one step from in front of it, to reach over the partition to grab a handful of bags.
The truck did hit her on her right side, but it was the curved area of the bumper which pushed her and the partition over.
She's super sore and has several scratches on her arms and legs, but no broken bones or cuts bad enough for stitches.

You are correct, building construction and cabinetry are two totally different classes of carpentry. Cabinet makers are not usually called carpenters, hi hi. I've done my share of cabinetry in my day, as a hobby or as a necessity in some cases.

I had some mighty fancy woodworking equipment for over 40 years. Most of which was not used for carpentry. Like band saws, scroll saws, lathes, planers, etc. But they did come in handy when I was trying to match a piece of staircase or trim in a house.

I know my trips back to St. Louis, things have changed so much, I couldn't find my way around some areas I thought would never change. Who would dream some of the major roads would have changed routes? Some of that was for the better though.
Although our traffic down here is getting worse due to the influx of new people these past 20 years since I moved here. It would take another 50 years to become as bad as St. Louis was when I left, but now St. Louis is totally crazy, hi hi.

I think moving south was a wise choice for me, although I've been totally lost ever since I did. I love it down here!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm somewhere between being a pragmatist and a realist, but there are times when I have no explanation for an event other than it being guided by Fate. What happened to Deb at the hardware store was truly a random event, but her escape from fatal injuries reads like somebody above was there to protect her. I'm very happy to know she is alive and incurred only a few minor injuries. My guess is that she will be out of work for a while and that she will need the time off to recuperate.

The trip back to Chicago didn't reveal very much to be new or changed. The expressways have been rebuilt and are easy to drive on, but I can imagine all the traffic jams they must have had during the construction. We didn't go by our old house which is on the other side of town, but I don't regret missing that opportunity. And that's what I mean by not being attached to that town anymore. It's pleasant here in O'Fallon, but it's not exactly homey. To be honest I don't know where I'd feel comfortable anymore.

I just looked at the weather station on my deck. It's 94℉ and a heat index of 108. I expect all the grass to be brown by the time the holiday arrives.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

She wishes, she had to be back at work this morning at 7:30 sharp, hi hi.
Stores are usually busier after some event like that, snoopers coming in, but they do shop while there.

Some old history here, well, not too old. Remember after I had the new window AC installed in the wall to replace my 14 year old one? I said I had mounted some pinwheels from the ceiling so they showed me which speed the fan was running.
The first one closest to the AC wore out after about a year. I keep the AC going year round, because it also ventilation.
The middle one, that only turned when the fan was running at medium speed, it lasted about 2 years.
But the one for when the fan was on high speed, which only happens when it gets really hot, like NOW, hi hi.
It was the furthest from the AC unit, and closest to my desk. Well, it finally came apart about an hour ago and dropped down on my desk. Scared the bejesus out of me too, hi hi. They have a brass eye that holds the fan blades together, but the shaft they run on is only part of the plastic molded stick. It is that pin that holds them that wore through causing the blade assembly to fall off. I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did!

I hear ya. My first couple of times back to St. Loo, I did swing by my house, only to find they complete undid all the custom and expensive work I had done to the front of the house. Put vinyl siding over everything, and turned the living room back into a garage.

I bought a new and very cheap indoor only electronic thermometer, my old one I keep on my desk died after many years.
This one shows temp and humidity, plus highs and lows for each over 24 hours, updates every 10 seconds. It is really nice looking for being so cheap. I didn't need another indoor/outdoor since I already have one of those, but it is too big for my desk, so it sits on the shelf behind my right shoulder.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm glad to learn Deb is able, willing, and ready to resume work. I guess I might be tempted to come in and see what happened so that I understand why the store would be exceptionally busy.

Yep, I do recall you telling me about the spinners you set up. I was just as amazed the first time as I am right now. LOL It's just one more incident proving you do indeed think outside the box.

I think I have a relative of your temp/humidity meter. I had one for many years but it gave out so that I had to replace it. The LCD display on the new one (Therm Pro) isn't as good as the old one, but it really doesn't matter. I use it as a relative indicator of room temperature. It's sitting on the top of my black box desktop computer so that I'm sure the machine adds something to the meter readings. It's always a degree or two higher than what I have the house thermostat set at. Each room is different anyway so I don't really know how much the heat from the computer is contributing to the thermometer reading. There are magnets on the back which would allow me to clamp it onto the computer box directly, but I chose not to do that. I know for sure the tower itself would skew the reading in that case.

Speaking of computers ... and speakers for them ... my studio quality speakers seem to be tanking. I have bad ears and figured my hearing was causing the distortion I have been hearing lately, but yesterday one channel went dead. After fiddling with the wiring and the volume control it finally came back ... and died out again. I fixed it again this morning by accident and am still hearing both channels. These are powered speakers and I have a feeling the internal power supply is dying of old age. The speakers got to be around twenty years old now.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

She did turn in her two weeks notice, a couple of days before the truck came to check-out as a drive through, hi hi.

Those pinwheels let me understand more about that AC and how it operates. Not like your normal AC unit.

I have a box on the AC to direct the cold air down onto the banks of computers.
Made a big difference when I had 8 of them all working. Now I'm down to only one, hi hi.

If your speaker has a mechanical volume control on it, those things do wear out, or get funky.
Even if you set them and forget them and use the computer electronics.
Try turning the manual volume control up and down several times to see if it cleans the wafer and contact.

I think everything I have here is is well over two decades old, hi hi. Most of it brought from St. Loo, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My computer speakers do indeed have a mechanical volume control. Given that the audio card also has an electronic volume control it's a trick and a half adjusting the sound so that it does not distort. I switch the speakers off every night to conserve power consumption, but the volume never gets more than a quarter of a turn. The way I fixed it, temporarily at least, was by doing exactly what you suggest. I know those wipers inside the volume control become corroded and it took several full turns of the volume control to get the audio back. Apparently it wasn't enough the first time because I had to do it again the next day. It's been working well for 24 hours now, but I ordered a new set of speakers from Logitech. The new ones are a lot cheaper than what I paid for these studio monitors, but Logitech includes a woofer. Those studio speakers don't reproduce the low frequencies very well due to their diameter being around 5 inches. In the worst case I'll have two sets of working speakers. But I ordered the Logitech ones from Walmart deliberately. They have a very good return policy and the store is nearby.

I think you know too much about your room a/c. LOL Then again I know why you tried to understand what the machine was actually doing. It's all part of that controlled environment in which you thrive.

I believe I told you how my Pixel clever phone was peeling into oblivion. I ordered a current model replacement from the Google store which told me should arrive here by July 3-5. The package was delivered July 1. I discovered it was shipped from Shaulmburg, IL, which is exactly where we were earlier this week. I had no idea Google had a distribution center there. In any case, I had to take it to T-mobie to get it connected to their network and to disable the old phone. Physically it's about the same size and I don't see a lot of software improvement yet. I know the processor is the one made by Google as oppose to the old one made by ... somebody else. Not sure what the advantage of the new processor is. Everything seems to be going at the same speed as it always has. I'm sure I will learn more as I use it over a longer period of time.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I just have a few el cheapo speakers, most came with early computers, they all work.
The only one that gives me trouble is the pair I bought for listening to music.
Before I moved south, I used to listen to a lot of music, and tapped my audio card from the computer out to my stereo system.
Loved the great sound, but then got away from listening to much music at all near the end of caring for Ruth.

I couldn't figure out why the AC only had a Low High fan setting, when the fan itself has 3-speeds, maybe more, hi hi.
But I've learned a few tricks with this particular AC unit, features none of the other's I've own had.
Some of these are auto-matic settings that override the manual settings, under certain circumstances.
For e.g. I have it set to bring in some outdoor air, which is a manual setting.
But I've learned that if the temp in the room is down by 3 degrees from the setting on the unit, this is both when the fan moves to high-speed, and it closes the outdoor air in damper auto-magically, until it is down to the set temperature, then it opens the outside air in damper again.
Once I got it all set-up the way I like it, I've never had to touch it again, except for resetting the desired temp.

When we order things from a few places, especially Amazon, things often come the very next day, or the day after, even if I select the all in one box option and 3-day shipping. I'm surprised at how many things they deliver on Sunday, via the USPS.
Some of the new trucks our local USPS has, are an identical make and model to the ones Amazon uses locally.
I think I can make a good guess that Amazon is funding the USPS to get all that special treatment from them.

In one of my early computers, I had a Sound-Blaster 16 audio card. For its day, that was a really nice card.
It was also the one I used to feed my stereo systems audio input ports on the pre-amp unit.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'd guess the default setting on most audio cards is to render 16 bit audio at a sample rate around 41kHz. I can do a lot better than that and have my laptop set for 24 bit audio at 41 kHz, but can also sample up to 192kHz - I can't tell the difference at that high sample rate so I use the lower recommended one. When we were staying in the hotel up in Chicago I was trying to listen to some FM music using that short wave software I told you about elsewhere. It was breaking up because the LAN in the hotel did not have the bandwidth to support the sample rate. Didn't matter what time of day it was even when the loading was light. I don't have any digital audio equipment but I do have several drivers for it in my desktop. I can imagine things would improve with the digital audio, but I'm not going to buy new equipment just to find out.

The speakers I ordered as well as the new clever phone arrived at least three days before the estimated delivery dates. I was happy about that especially with the phone, but the new speakers are still in the box unopened. My normal speakers have not failed since I bought the new speakers. I probably will return them if the audio stays up and running. But I know what will happen then. As soon as I take the new speakers back to Wally World, the old speakers will crap out again. LOL

All the major carriers, UPS, FedEx, and Amazon have contracts with the USPS. I don't know the details of the contracts but basically the carrier delivers packages to the post office and then USPS delivers to your home. Somehow that is cheaper than the carrier doing the home delivery themselves. Most, but not all, packages delivered by USPS arrive on Sunday. I think they set that day aside for package delivery because no regular mail is delivered on Sunday.,

Your description of how the A/C works sounds correct. I am pretty sure the automatic system in the Saturn does the same thing. All I have to do in the car is set a temperature and they system does whatever it takes to maintain it, winter or summer. I can do all the adjustments manually as well which apparently overrides the automatic routine. That part works backwards from your office A/C unit where the automatic settings override the manual ones.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't know much about computer sound equipment anymore. I rarely if ever have audio turned on these days.

Use the new speakers! I've bought new things and by the time I needed them, they went bad from not being used.

We get packages delivered by USPS every day of the week, not just Sunday's, unless it is from Amazon and marked for Sunday delivery. Since most folks are home on Sunday's, that is probably the best time to deliver parcels.

I did learn something new about my AC yesterday. If I turn it all the way down to 61 degrees, it locks into continuous compressor with high fan and won't shut off until you lower it back down.
I think one reason I've had to turn it colder is the director I added to blow the cold air down onto the bank of computers.
I noticed that the bottom part of my little rigging came undone and fell off. This means the cold output air is being sucked right back into the unit, and across the thermostat. It was making it cycle before the room was down to the cooler temp.
I also need to clean the filter again too.

The Cadillac I owned had a climate control system it in that worked great, set the temp and forget it.
It also had heated seat and steering wheel, but the engine had to be running for those to be turned on.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The new speakers must be returned by July 30th in order for me to get full credit. That gives me some time to evaluate the old speakers. I fixed them but don't know why they were fixed. They just work now. That kind of thing makes me a little suspicious. My current thinking is that I'll wait about two weeks before I return the new speakers, assuming the old ones stand up that long. If I need to reorder in the future, I now know I can get replacements within a few days. I have some really good headphones that can be used inst4ead of speakers. I'd miss the audio if it wasn't there at all.

I think my furnace A/C works something like your room unit. When they came out to do a routine inspection early this spring they did the same thing you did, i.e., turn the thermostat down to the low 60's. The compressor ran continuously so that they could do their checking.

They now have smart thermostats which the utility companies are trying to get me to install. They work like the car and do whatever it takes to maintain the set temperature. No big deal there, the old thermostat does the same thing. The smart one, however, can be programmed to not work during peak usage hours, for example, which is a nice feature for Ameren. I won't load their power grid and only suffer minor increases in heat. In order to encourage me to do that, they are offering the thermostat free. The cost of the electric also goes down a bit if I sign up for their monitored usage. All that is fine and good but I'm not likely to go that rout anytime soon. They will be installing "smart" meters this summer, which means they will be able to throttle my use of electricity as they see fit.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Unless they were crazy expensive, I would keep the new ones, and use the old ones on another older computer.

We have smart electric meters. All they do is report usage to their computers so they can bill you without sending a reader out.
I don't think they can turn your electric on and off from them though.
They also use them to find out who has a sudden increase from raising pot plants, hi hi.

When I had all of the plants growing in my basement and greenhouse, they actually sent someone out to ask me why my electric usage took a sudden climb and stayed that way. I invited the guy to come down and see all of the plants I have growing for when spring rolls around. He just looked in the door and since he didn't see any pot plants, he just said, looks nice!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think you are right about the smart electric meters, but I must say that I don't recall ever seeing a meter reader as long as I've lived in this house. The meters are designed to collect usage data but the reason they are "smart" is because they somehow can come back up quickly after a power outage. Being able to do that depends on how the power grid is built and apparently Ameren Missouri has a fairly decent one. I honestly don't know if they can shut down the power remotely, but I have a suspicion they can. Being able to do that would also be a huge cost savings for them.

That's an interesting comment about pot growing increasing electric usage. I suppose if you try to grow enough of it that will in fact up the kilowatt usage. If I were to grow pot it would be for personal use. I'd grow it outside, but I have no doubt the damned neighbors would steal it before I get to harvest it for myself. LOL

The new speakers are not the same quality as are the old ones. They might sound better in that there is a woofer included, but they cost out at just over $100. Bose used to make great sounding computer speakers too, but they were dirt cheap. The great sound was all in the design of the speaker box and the baffles inside them. I'm guessing Logitech does something similar. My old speakers were twice the price of these new ones, and that was back more than twenty years ago. I could attach them to the laptop because they are wireless and USB capable, and in fact they claim I can add them to my new Pixel clever phone as well. Maybe that's a good idea for some people. I just can't see a practical use for studio quality speakers on my phone.