Micro Robots

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Micro Robots

Post by yogi »

But money in the bank is INSURED so I've not lost anything if the bank was robbed. I get my money back!
You can't get your data back if it gets erased.
mmm ... the FDIC is a government insurance company that insures only savings accounts against bank failure. Bank robberies, fraud, identity theft and any other way you could lose your money is not covered. Thus, if a bank is robbed, you lost your savings. If your data in the cloud is erased, they have backups. Redundant backups. And they are all encrypted. Banks are not the best analogy for cloud storage, but the cloud seems to be a safer place to keep things.
SOURCE: https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit- ... t-insured/

A compromised password can mean many things. As I noted elsewhere there are lists of common (and uncommon) passwords plus their encrypted equivalent for sale on the Internet. Any security organization worth its salt should have those lists in their possession for the exact reason you mentioned. They want to protect you from somebody other than yourself who might have a copy of your password. All the bank knows is that your password is on one of those lists but they don't know how it got there unless their own database has been breached. Also, and I really detest this, many high security places keep track of past passwords and will not allow you to reuse an old one. Some, probably your bank, even prohibit passwords that are close but not exact. Thus your "new" password was exact or too close to a previously used one. Erasing their history of your passwords is the only way to get around that.

OK, I'm not crazy. You did come by twice in the same day. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think you should go back and reread that link you posted.
ALL Deposit Accounts, which are Checking and Savings Accounts, definitely ARE insured.
Only Non-Deposit accounts are not insured by the FDIC. Neither are most investment accounts.

Loss of an account through theft or fraud, aka bank robbery, is a complicated issue. The bank still has your records of deposit, so then yes they are insured. But their is also Blanket Coverage carried by most banks so depositors don't need to worry about the technical issues of an employee stealing their account, or a hacker closing it out, etc.

I know I got ALL of my money back from both of my accounts after a fraud was committed on the bank by a collection agency! The bank had to pay it back, or they would have been in violation of several federal laws, hi hi.

The medicines I'm on make me a bit loopy still. One has finally ended, but it takes 3 to 5 days to wear off, and the other is still going on for another day yet. I hate the dizzy feeling from these drugs, that's for sure.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was not familiar with the banker's blanket bond that covers just about anything the FDIC does not. Thus bank customers are protected up to the limit of the insurance or bond, which is all well and good. The point I was trying to make is that storing your data on a cloud server is no worse than putting money in the bank. You will be able to recover your funds and data either way. The risks to privacy and vulnerability to theft seems to be about equal in both places.

Feeling loopy isn't the best feeling in the world, but in your case it's all for a good cause. Hopefully by the time the groundhog looks for its shadow you will be pretty much back to normal ... whatever that is at this stage of the game. My wife has also had some experience with dizziness and she seems to have found a cure by switching from coffee to ginger tea. I know she is feeling much better because yesterday she drove over to the community center checking out the exercise classes for seniors. I don't have the exact dates but it seems as if she has been on the tea cure for about a month. Apparently all the toxic tannin and caffeine have been purged from her system.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I think I used to have the best backup system. The drive in my computer mirrored to an external drive, then that external copied to another external which was only connected long enough to copy files I know I changed. And then for the coop de gras I had another external down at the house I carried up to my office, made a copy on it and carried it back and put it on a shelf.
And before my brother moved, I had a copy of everything on a drive in his office in St. Loo as well.
Yeah, I know, redundancy overload, hi hi. Now I'm very lax in keeping so many copies everywhere.

I hope the high level of Tannin in your wife's tea don't cause her other problems.
My son is addicted to tea like you wouldn't believe. He doesn't leave home without it, like coffee drinkers, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My wife of many years is not drinking black tea diluted with ginger flavoring. She is drinking the real herbal brew based on ginger root. There is no tannin in ginger. A lot of food has tannin in it naturally, including some things you might think are healthy for you like nuts and peas. Coffee and chocolate have that deadly combination of tannin and caffeine, and it is quite possible that is what wife reacts to. All we know for certain is that she has stopped drinking coffee altogether but the rest of her diet remains the same. She no longer suffers from vertigo. I will add that it's a bit of a mystery because she has been a coffee drinker and chocoholic ever since I've known her. Why it all is reacting poorly at this stage in her life is the mystery. There likely is something else going on too.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Good deal on the Ginger tea!

Our bodies become less efficient at doing things the older we get.
This includes our inner-workings as well.
Some needed chemicals are not produced enough, and others are produced too much, and we go out of whack.
Often, diet alone can put us back in whack again, hi hi. Other times it takes a replacement drug, like Insulin.
Sometimes, it seems nothing seems to work anymore and all the pills don't seem to help either.
So we just suffer a bit, and grin and bear it!