Servers, Multiple

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Servers, Multiple

Post by Kellemora »

Maybe in the old days when they had to keep track of all the planes by hand.
But now it is all computerized, and every plane shows up on the screen as to where they are.
I'm sure it is still a stressful job to have though. Especially when an unknown plane appears on their radar, hi hi.

With my first wife's father working for the railroad, there were several times I waited for him in the control yard tower.
Back then, everything was manual, there were hundreds of lights on the wall that showed the position of every switch in the yard, and smaller lights showing the tracks in the yard, which also lit up depending upon which way a switch was thrown.
The main switches they could control from in the tower, but most of the side switches they had to radio out to a switch-man to turn them manually. These were usually for the siding tracks, not the main hub of tracks. I was not in the switch room itself, I sat outside the switch room on stools which looked into the windows, or you could turn and look out windows to the back area of the train yard where nothing much was ever going on. But you could, from your seat looking through the switch room and out there windows see most of the tracks and trains.
There was also another tower nobody was allowed in other than those who worked in there. They handled the passenger trains that stopped at the depot. Some of those trains were quite long, so they had to pull up a few times for other passenger cars to be within the passenger loading area of the depot.
The freight yard really was the most interesting to watch, because a train had to drop off so many cars and move them to a siding and pick up other cars from another siding. Often a small engine would handle moving the freight cars around and getting them lined up on a siding for when the next train came through who would get them. And way down at the far end were the flat cars for trailer/trains where the trailers were offloaded from the train and lined up for the tractor/trailers to pick them up. Apparently each person working in the tower had their respective jobs to do.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Keeping track of where flying aircraft is located is no problem. Have a look ++> https://flightaware.com/
Would you want to be the controller responsible for all those planes going and coming without crashing into each other? I know I wouldn't.

A long long time ago, probably back in the Windows 98 epoch, I had a program, or maybe it was a website, that simulated railroad traffic. It was a program for an actual class taught at some university but it wasn't too sophisticated. Nothing was sophisticated back in those days. The main task was to learn about switching but the program also had the ability to lay out different patterns of tracks. I don't recall now what controlled the actual number of trains or their destination, but I had to make sure all the switches were set right. It was kind of fun as I recall and played it for several weeks before I got bored. I probably could have gotten a job as a switchman somewhere, but I was happy with what I was doing at Motorola. LOL

There was a train yard not too far from where I grew up. I recall many occasions when I'd ride my bike over there and watch what was going on. There was a huge bridge for traffic going over the yard and that was my perch. The family had a friend who worked there but I don't recall ever seeing him walking around. He must have been in one of those towers you speak of.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Long before the era of computers, I had a fantastic model HO train layout, with some N-gauge in there also.
My ultimate goal was to make it as realistic looking as possible, so spent almost all of my time designing and constructing features rather than running the trains. This was when we still lived in Des Peres.
When I knew dad was selling the house, I took many pictures of it, and ultimately sold the whole thing to a person who sent several men over to study it and to cut it all apart in movable sections. I'm sure he paid more to those men than he paid me for the layout.
At our new house, I built a O-gauge simple layout. Dad still had is Lionel set at that time too and set it up in the basement on a flat boards. Lionel did a lot of neat things, but didn't look real. Neither does O-gauge for that matter.
My train was actually huge with huge track. I made a switch yard in my bedroom, but most of the track was outside, up where the bricks stopped and the siding started. I only had to make a tiny hole in the mortar between the bricks to install the brackets so they would be easily filled back up when I took it down.
I had a piece of curved track that was not mounted to anything. To use the train I had to raise my window and take out the screen, then place the curved track from the switch-yard table inside the house, so it connected to the track on the edge of the house. When it got to the end of the house, I had some I beams clamped to a gas patio light. From the patio light it went on a couple of more I-beams over to metal trellis and this piece of beam could be raised and lowered with ease if need be. Nobody every walked down that side of the house anyhow. The track made a curve around the large square trellis and headed back to the pole lamp about about 10 inches higher, then came back above the outbound track to my bedroom window, where another curved track brought it inside, and a slope down to the far end of the switch yard.
When my cousin and I got an apartment closer to where we worked, my brother took over my room and the train layout. And when he bought his own house, he took it all down and moved it over there, where it ran around his swimming pool on top of the fence around his pool. That's about all he did with it, when he had a party he set the train out on the tracks and let it run for the duration of the party, hi hi. One year he did decorate all the cars with Christmas lights, but they only lit dimly.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I still have the American Flyer train set that my godmother gave me when I was wearing diapers. It's just an oval track that would run around the bottom of our real Christmas tree. The darn thing sparked like crazy and it's a miracle that the tree didn't start on fire. I played with it at other times of the year but never got any accessories other than a few extra cars. When we were packing things to move to Missouri I dug it out of it's old box and looked up what it might be worth. The engine might have fetched slightly more than $100, but really wasn't in very good shape. The rest of the layout would have only been good for salvaging parts. That actually might have been pretty valuable to the right dealer who no longer can get replacement parts for American Flyer.

I've seen a few model train layouts that were inspirational, but I never had the time or money to make anything fancy. More than that I didn't have a place for even a 4x8 plywood panel. LOL The most fantastic model train layout I've ever seen was at the Marshall Fields store in downtown Chicago. We would go there during the holidays just to look at the window decorations. Fields no longer exists and I often wondered what became of that fabulous train layout.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Rochester, Jack Benny's sidekick, had the most elaborate train layout of anyone. It was inside and outside of his home, and went through many gardens there. But it was just track and train cars, no decorations to speak of, other than a few minor ones inside.

When my dad was a kid, he had a huge wind-up train, big enough a child could sit on a car and ride it around. He had no idea what ever happened to it. Although the three tracks of Lionel didn't look realistic, he sure had fun with his train layouts. His biggest at the old house was 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. When he set up at the new house, it was only 16 feet long and around 5 feet wide, maybe 6 feet wide. He had two of the huge twin handled transformers, and probably every operable accessory he could get, from cattle, coal and log loaders to many other things. The cattle car unit worked sorta like those old vibrating football games. Each cattle had the bent rubber hairs under them so they would move forward. They would move from the cattle car to the stockyard, and you could flip a switch and they would move from the stockyard to the cattle car.

When I got into HO, I went way overboard on design, and not far enough on functionality of the trains. But then I was working in very limited space also. One wall of my bedroom!
yogi

Post by yogi »

There are a lot of model train enthusiasts out there. The very first noteworthy layout I observed was in the classroom of my kindergarten class. The nun would have it going every morning up until the kids all arrived. I think she got a big kick out of it probably more than us kids. I don't recall much about it but it was a mountain scene maybe two feet high with a waterfall. There was a pond that the train ran around and then into the mountain. There also was a restaurant near the first house we owned which had a model railroad installed. If you sat at the counter your order was brought to you by train. I recall the thrill of it all but the burger wasn't all that good.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

On Farcebook, I get a lot of posts from steam trains both large, and the scale models being run by large clubs.
Those guys put a lot of work and money into building a real scale model working steam engine!

I just have no time for much of anything anymore!
Just trying to keep breathing is a full-time job.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The owner of the first company I worked for was a member of one of those full scale model railroad clubs. They somehow got permission to run their train up to Wisconsin and back down to Chicago. I was invited to ride one Sunday and it was the thrill of my life. It really should not have been so thrilled because I recall way back when I was a tiny lass that the commuter trains were pulled around by steam engines. I rode a few of those to visit an aunt in a suburb just ten miles away.

It's the pits when you have all you can do just to keep breathing. We've been talking about it for a long time and you are doing exceptionally well. I don't know how much longer you can go, but I think you already broke a few medical records.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Mill Creek Valley Railroad Club, their track is 7-1/2 inches wide, roughly. And the steam engines and cars, plus diesel engines are scaled down to that size. It looks like the bulk of the fanatics running these things are all older guys, probably retired train engineers. But they've got a large club and over 5 miles of tracks to run them on.
Check them out! Scroll down to see the tracks. The link I'm adding didn't have all the click bars at the top for some reason.
https://www.millcreekcentral.com/

Although I'm learning to balance my O2 and getting rid of CO2, I'm now in the coughing phase of the diseases.
Coughing clogs up your nose you finally got clear, and it starts dripping all over again. grrrr.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Those trains at the Mill Creek Valley Club look a lot like the trains I rode at KiddyLand when I was a wee lad. LOL The club trains are marvelous and the photographs breathtaking. All I can say is that it looks like a very expensive hobby, but very rewarding.

I sympathize with your drippy nose. Mom had that problem too.

Speaking of drips ...

In another thread I'm talking about how my year 2022 ended with my computer crashing. It was a hella way to end an otherwise ... exciting ... year. Yesterday, Jan 1, 2023, started out even worse if you can believe that. I had one of those senior moments that is not funny and very ominous. It seems that after I did my morning ritual of washing up in the bathroom sink, I left the water running. The drain was plugged. Thinking about my computer issues I hurried over to the Command and Control Center to see what I could do about that problem. About fifteen minutes later I heard some odd noises from the bathroom, and you know what I saw when I got there. There was a waterfall over the top of the sink and water all over the floor.

Being the bathroom I had some towels handy, plus there was a plush rug on the floor that absorbed quite a bit of the overflow. The ominous situation was water flowing into the heating duct located on the floor. Fortunately that rug was between the duct and the waterfall, but quite a bit of water must have gone down that pipe. I discovered that most of the water flowed under the cabinet upon which the sink is mounted. There are three concealed holes in the floor to allow for the plumbing. Much of the water drained through those holes down into the basement.

After drying out the bathroom to an acceptable degree I went down to the basement to see a small lake under the bathroom. There were drips from those three holes that ran along the I-beam and spread the water some distance. Maybe 20 feet or so. There also was some dripping from the seam of the heating duct that feeds the bathroom, which is directly above the furnace. I checked out the furnace and it seemed dry on the outside, plus there were no puddles under the firebox. I thought that was a good sign, but have no idea what was going on inside the firebox. The furnace is working fine to my great relief, but I still am a bit nervous. I'll be calling some HVAC people tomorrow to have it checked out in detail.

I am a bit puzzled in addition to being a bit happy to have a working furnace. Obviously there was water in that duct, and I don't know how much. It was enough to leak out through the seam, however. If it did not go into the furnace box, I am puzzled about why not. I have no idea how the ductwork is attached to the hot air box, but there must be some kind of barrier at the junction. When I get the guy out to look it over I'll ask him about it, but no matter what actually happened, I am glad to have heat.

So, no only did 2022 end in tragedy, but 2023 didn't have a very good start either.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You must have good waterflow in your bathroom sink. Our faucet is a low flow faucet, cute little brushed stainless designed like bamboo with a spout. The overflow hole in the sink is quite large, about an inch in diameter, and I filled the sink a couple of times to try to flush through some of the hair and toothpaste that gets down in the drain, and I left the water running waiting for the sink to get up to the brim, it never made it that far, so I looked up at the mirror and remembered that large overflow drain hole.

Water shouldn't get into your firebox, due to the heat exchanger being what supplies air to the ductwork. And if water did get into it, it would have drained out onto the floor under the furnace where the blower is located. But then too, there are a lot of different designs of furnaces.

Sorry to hear you are starting off the new year with things going crazy on you.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You have read numerous complaints from me about the construction of homes here when compared to what I had in Illinois. The lumber for the floor joists is saw mill waste products. There is no visible plywood underlayment for example. They use some kind of board that is mostly epoxy mixed with sawdust. The joists themselves are I-beams made out of the same particle board that the floors are made of. Apparently real lumber isn't necessary in new homes anymore. There are many ways they skimped on costs but still came up with a livable house. One of the cost reduced items, however, is that bathroom sink. It has no overflow drain and that is the reason I had a flood. No overflow means cheaper sink but also no plumbing to accommodate it. The cabinet under the sink has no drawers or shelves. It's just a blank space and it seems as if that is where most of the water went. None of the cabinets in the entire house had any handles on them either. Yet one more cost reduction. I could go on but in this particular case it is all my own fault for leaving the faucet running.

Thanks for the heads up on the firebox. I suspected it was all as you say but never really took a look inside. It's a major task just trying to view the burners. The last guy that did it used a camera and fiber optics. It was a pretty good way to find cracks actually, but I have no way to do that kind of thing and I"m not taking apart the duct work to satisfy my curiosity. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I thought a bathroom sink required an overflow to pass code. It does in St. Louis City and County, and I think Jefferson and Franklin counties also. Seems it would be the same in St. Charles county.

Ductwork will usually drip water, as that is how it gets rid of condensation that builds up inside the ductwork in the summer, if used for AC use. At my old house in Creve Coeur, there was like a 2 quart mason jar screwed into a low point in the ductwork that was fed by the AC unit. But in the 20 years I lived there, never saw a single drop of water in it.

There was NO A-frame inside my furnace plenum which is why it lasted so many years without problems. The AC was totally separate from the furnace, although it used the same ductwork in the house.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was totally flummoxed when we came to Missouri looking for a home to buy. A few of the older homes in Lake St Louis looked like something I was familiar with, but they were typically thirty years old. When we started looking in O'Fallon the vintage was ca early 2000's. I'm not sure more than the post office was here prior to the start of this century. LOL After looking at all that old construction when we came to this house only a year old, it was quite a relief. It promised no or little maintenance, had a great view from atop a ridge, and the taxes were a bargain compared to those I left behind. Not until we moved in did we start looking closely at the details. I knew nothing about building codes back then and in fact most of what I did see would not be allowed in Cook County, Illinois. Thus I took a lot for granted. Much of it looked suspicious, but the builder had to meet code in order to sell the place. Apparently bathroom sinks do not need an overflow. The bathtub, however, does have one. Go figure.

It's a Carrier furnace down in my basement, a brand which was near the bottom of my list when I was replacing furnaces up north. Just about all the neighbors have that brand so I'm guessing the builder got a good deal on them. While I've had better quality equipment back home, I can't complain too much about what we have here. Carrier is doing what it is supposed to do, and I expect to need a new furnace in about three years - which means it would be 12-13 years old by then. I didn't have to replace the one in Illinois until it reached the ripe old age of 22, and it did in fact have an A-frame for the a/c unit. There was some corrosion that the HVAC people liked to point out to me, but not so much that it had to be replaced. Well, not for more than twenty years anyway. This furnace and the one I left behind have a plastic hose coming out of its side to vacate the condensation that accumulates inside. Both were near a floor drain. I'd have to empty that Mason jar several times a day if they had such a thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've worked in many homes that were over 100 years old, back when they built with quality and common sense.

As far as major appliances, including AC units and furnaces, NOTHING is built to last anymore!
yogi

Post by yogi »

You are right about the quality of appliances, and most other things too. I heard about planned obsolescence way back in the 50's when that became a business model for the likes of GM. Other industries followed their lead and here we re today with throw away appliances. Those you don't have to renew every couple years are too expensive for us fixed income folks to buy.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Tell me about it. When we did our Kitchen, I chose all LG appliances, because I loved how long their electronics equipment lasts. Every single item we bought came with some flaw, and a few did not work at all. The sad thing is, we've already had to replace the fridge, the ten year warranty only covers the compressor, not the rest of the machine.
I bought a Samsung this time, but they look like they are all made by the same manufacturer.
yogi

Post by yogi »

When I win the lottery and build my new house it will have a kitchen equipped with Wolf and Sub-Zero products. We had a Sub-Zero fridge in the very first house we bought and it lasted the full twenty years we lived there. That in addition to however long the previous owner had it. It was a crazy design in that the compressor was on top of the fridge. It was all enclosed inside a wood cabinet so that the machinery was not visible and I don't recall the logic for them putting the compressor on top.

We do know about the economy of scale so that it would not surprise me to learn all fridges came from the same factory in China. Actually I think South Korea is big on appliances and that is where LG gets their stuff from.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

The antique GE Monitor refrigerators of the 1920's had the compressor at the top also.
Their reasoning was, the compressor is hot, heat rises, put it above the cold box.
It also moved the noise above your head as well. You could barely hear that Copelmatic compressor running.

I looked up for the makers of AC units, and the list was quite short, only about 6 names if remember right. Something like Johnson was at the top of this and Carrier was near the bottom of the list.
When I looked up the French Door Refrigerators, I think there were actually only three manufactures, but like five different designs and qualities. I would say LG picked the most dysfunctional line from the bottom of the quality list, on everything.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The compressor being on top of the fridge probably is the best place for it, but not many models have it that way. The motor on our GE is fairly quiet but I can feel the vibrations from it on the floorboards. Oddly enough My wife can't. I don't know if mounting the motor high would cut down on the vibrations but I do like the theory of it operating quieter that way.

I tried looking up the manufacturers for AC units and there are indeed only six, but nowhere could I find their names. The brands they produce are readily available, but the names of the sources are harder to find. I'm sure if I spent more than 5 minutes looking I could find them, but what difference does it make? When I buy something from Home Depot I don't get to pick where that product was made, even if I knew who they were.