Servers, Multiple

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Servers, Multiple

Post by Kellemora »

We had the same issue with our Pizza Shop, we made American Pizza. Nothing Italian about it, hi hi. Or so they said!

I'm not real fond of most German foods, but I loved everything I tried each time we went out to Herman.
Since I don't drink, especially not beer, folks wondered why I bothered going to festivals out there, hi hi.
When I was working on homes down in St. Louis City, I would run across all kinds of specialty stores catering to specific cultures. I even stopped in a few, but didn't really buy anything I didn't already know what it was and knew I would like it.

My wife loves breads with a hard outer crust, and I like the outer crust soft. So we compromise, she buys the hard stuff, then steams a few slices for me, hi hi. Which turns it to glue of course, hi hi.
My mom made the best pot roast, which we all called stringy roast pot, hi hi.
But in her later years, she caramelized the onions way to long, so for a day or two after eating her roast, everything you ate, drank or smoked tasted like onions, hi hi. And my wife doesn't caramelize them long enough.
I love garlic bread with several things, especially if you use the fresh minced garlic and oil.
yogi

Post by yogi »

On one occasion we traveled to someplace in Oak Brook that claimed to be an authentic Italian restaurant. The entrance lobby was typical but when you were being seated the path to the dining room was through the live kitchen. I thought that was pretty interesting but really didn't see anything special or unusual. I did wonder if that's how restaurants operate in Italy, but I never asked anyone to find out. We went there for the pizza, which probably was authentic but disappointing. It was long and narrow as opposed to round. The crust was between thin and thick, which is how I like pizza crust. The toppings basically were tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, and I don't remember what, but it was not meat. It tasted good but was not the kind of thing I'd go out of my way for.

The recipe I had for garlic bread was fairly complicated, which means it probably had nothing to do with Italian cuisine. The quantity of garlic was more than you would expect, and they said that was the secret to this recipe. There are about half a dozen other herbs that go into it along with grated cheese and EVOO. The toasting was accomplished under the broiler. At least that was the way I did it. The aroma produced by that method was exceptional. It filled the whole house and made your mouth water just waiting for it to be done. The real secret to success, however, was in the bread. We had a store that sold genuine Italian bread with a hard crust. I tied using other breads and it was OK, but nothing like the real thing.

When I have a need to soften bread I do it in the microwave. Each slice gets nuked for less than 10 seconds and that makes it warm and soft. I've not tried hard crusted bread that way - that would defeat the purpose - but I have done two day old bagels in the microwave. They turned out excellent.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

During the winter months, our local steak house takes customers in through the kitchen area.
And I've also heard that is the way many Italian Restaurants in Italy work as well.
When I first moved down here, there was a nice Italian Restaurant named (something) Pasta King.
Their kitchen was in the front inside the front windows, so you could watch them from the sidewalk outside.
They also had outside seating on the sidewalk also. But you didn't walk through the kitchen to go to a table inside.

I like most garlic breads I've tried at places when I used to eat out.

One thing I do is put a coffee cup of water in the microwave, and when it starts boiling, I will stop the microwave and put something like the wonderful bagels you sent us in there for 15 seconds, made them nice and soft and butter would melt through out the bagel when I took it out. Those were some really awesome bagels, thank you again!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Your microwave steam method of softening bagels sounds awesome. I've never used steam that way for bread but it seems perfectly reasonable.

I'm delighted that you and Deb enjoyed that package of goodies and I agree that they are the second best version of bagels that I've ever tasted. The ones you received came from an honest to goodness Jewish Deli in NYC. As you must know this is Hannakkah (not sure of the spelling, I've seen at least a dozen different versions of it) and Zabars sends out a large variety of gift boxes for the occasion. All free shipping, of course. I've ordered from them a few times, mostly for their coffee by the way, and have not been disappointed. The Nova Lox from them were awesome, but they were pre-packaged and also available around here if I look hard enough.

Good as the goodies are from Zabars, there is a place near my old home up in Roselle, Illinois, that makes better bagels. They have a machine that is fascinating to watch. It rolls the dough into fat sticks and then sends it through a tube where it gets the traditional bagel shape. From there they go into a pot where they are boiled. I was not expecting that, and apparently it's what makes the bagels great. After they are boiled the toppings, if any, are added. Then they go to the oven to bake. I've had some of their cinnamon raisin bagels right out of the oven and they truly are to die for. Toasted and slathered with fresh sweet butter is the quintessential gourmet food treat. These people were my first choice when I had the idea of sending you something, but they do not deliver. If you want their bagels, you must go to their shop and pick them up in person. The bagels from Zabars are not boiled. Apparently there is some discussion about which is the correct method. My choice is boiled if they are available. Otherwise Zabars is the bagel shop extraordinaire.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Some breads will get gummy using that method. But hard crusted breads and bagels seem to enjoy the steam bath.
Just heating bread pulls more moisture out of the bread giving the illusion of being softer, but then if you don't eat it right away it ends up harder than when you put it in.

20 years with Ruth and my first encounter with bagels, I learned to like them really well.
Debi had seen them in stores but never had one before you sent those, and she just loved them, and all the toppings you sent along with them. Plain old me just uses butter, lots of butter on them, hi hi.
Ruth liked the boiled bagels over the roasted bagels, while Debi would probably like the roasted kind.
In other words, she would prefer the concrete covered donut variety, hi hi.

I ordered some interesting seasoned pretzels from a company in North Dakota. They shipped me three bags of their top choices. All of them were great, but a wee bit spicy for me. That was about 6 or 7 years ago, and lo and behold, Debi comes home from work with a couple of bags from that same company Dot's Homestyle Pretzels. She picked the Original Seasoned, since she knew that was the one I preferred. I'll tell you, I think women have a memory like an elephant about some things.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I might have told you this story before, but us old guys like to repeat things. So, here we go again. :lol:

I learned of bagels and their awesome qualities with lox and all the trimmings when I was an astrologer. One of my clients took me to a Jewish Deli that was right in my own neighborhood but I didn't know about it. Well, it was a fancy restaurant that had a deli bar in it along with fresh fish in several varieties. There was Nova, smoked and not, as well as belly lox. Fresh belly lox cannot be beat, let me tell you. Anyway, I have been enjoying lox and bagels ever since and when we found that bagel shop up in Roselle we would buy them in dozen bags and freeze them.

Many years after I learned about bagels I was misdiagnosed as having diabetes. I was sent to a nutritionist to discuss my diet and learned, by the way, that Medicare will pay for a 2 hour visit each year. I also learned a lot about the downside of carbohydrates and followed a strictly calculated diet which included stabbing my fingers to measure blood sugar. I had to keep a record of those home blood tests as well as a journal of exactly what I was eating. The idea was to count the carbs and see what effect the food I took in might have. It all looked normal to me and I was able to keep the blood sugar near 100, and often it averaged in the 90's. Doing that also reduced my calorie intake and I lost 40 pounds of weight I didn't need. People were concerned about how thin I was getting, but I thought I was doing great. I was well within the recommended weight limits for my age and height.

One day, early on in this diet, my blood sugar spiked to abnormal levels at that two hour after eating point. It stayed high even after dinner that night, but returned back to normal the next day. The nutritionist noted that I ate out that particular day, and had a ham/cheese sandwich on a bagel at a local establishment. She had a book with a breakdown of all the meals on the menus of the popular restaurants, My sandwich was sky high in carbs, and being bagels they were from the high gluten flour they use to make them. As you probably know there is an index associated with the carbs in different foods. Some carbs take longer to assimilate than others, and some can be negated in their effects altogether with the right accompaniments. Well, needless to say, the bagel sandwich I had was a killer as far as carbs were concerned.

The good news is I proved not to have diabetes but was drinking too much high fructose fruit juices at that time. I changed the juice intake and things are pretty normal now with the A1C tests. I do try not to pig out on bagels when I have them. In some ways that's good because they last a little longer. But who would have thought that all the high gluten flour in bagels was so toxic?
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

FWIW: Everyone said due to my being thin my whole life, I would never have to worry about Diabetes, so I didn't.
My late wife Ruth was a major Type 2 Diabetic, went through tons of Insulin too.
My current wife Debi, who is only slightly overweight is also a Type 2 Diabetic, and she is on Insulin, but not much.
The comes Me! The most unlikely person to ever get Diabetes. I've only weighed 145 pounds my whole adult life.
Now the smoking issue. I went to doctors, hypnotists, self-help groups, etc. Didn't help.
My doctor, after checking my bloodwork and saw everything was perfectly in the normal range.
He decided that Chantix would help me beat the smoking habit, and prescribed it for me.
After I started taking the Chantix, and not smoking, I began having all kinds of problems I never had before.
Went back to doc, 30 days after I started on Chantix. Within that 30 days, I went from being normal A1C to well over 800 BG, and that explained a lot of the problems I was having. The only change in my diet was the Chantix. So the doc put me on Insulin right away. It did get my A1C back down, then it started bottoming out on me. Back to the doc again, and my A1C was around 250 BG, unless I took the amount of Insulin he prescribed then it dropped way too low. So I had sugar pills to take to boost it back up again. No more Insulin for me. But Chantix had done the damage, so I've had to test my blood three times a day ever since, and I now take two Metformin every evening. My A1C has changed from 4.8 slowly up to 6.9 which is what it was at my visit the other day. So the doc is thinking of a low dose insulin injection for me now. Right now I'm holding at 120 BG 2 hours after dinner.
I was in a class action suit against Chantix, but they dropped me since I was able to get my A1C back down again.
And of course, my doctor, who is an under the table salesman for the pharmaceutical industry, claimed I was just due and Chantix had nothing to do with my sudden spike that held.
A couple of years later I found he won't prescribe Chantix to anyone because he had too many cases where it caused folks A1C to jump to unexpected heights.

I look at things this way. I don't Drink, Cuss, or Chase Women, so I need at least one Vice, Smoking, and it does calm me down and make me feel better believe it or not.
Remember I said I always do well throughout the day in my office.
I really think the reason being is I can smoke in my office when I need to, but not in the house at any time.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My understanding of the A1C test is that it measures long term BG. I read and was told that the A1C is only valid if taken at six month intervals, or longer. If that interval is accurate, then your doctor was correct to say it wasn't the Chantix causing the problem. The A1C can't accurately measure changes which occur over the short term. There are other tests which can do the short term measurement, and apparently you are doing them.

I don't want you to think I'm defending Chantix or the doctor prescribing it. I'm not. Doctors are hit up by drug dealers all the time regarding new products from the company. If the doctor is not well informed ahead of the sales meeting, then all he has to go by is intuition and whatever sense the sales people can make. If anybody was fooled about Chantix, it was likely your doctor because he took the sales people at their word. There is a lot of risk for a doctor who does such things because of malpractice laws. I suppose some doctors are more cautious than others, but in their defense doctors are medical experts, not experts in pharmacology. Since there was a class action law suit involving the drug, you know for sure something was not right about it. But I'd have a hard time deciding who is to blame.

In my case it was high fructose fruit juice that messed up my A1C, and I was able to eliminate the problem by a change in diet. That's not diabetes. That's just a case of me being too dumb to know what is good for me. I think in your case you would have to prove that Chantix did some consequential damage to your health before you could win a law suit. Obviously it did, but the damage can be mitigated and it would take a very expensive lawyer to fight Big Pharma.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My average BG readings were around 120 to 125, but after I started taking Chantix, eating the same meals each day, it started to jump up noticeably. I called the doctor when I was riding around 350, and he told me to come back in in 2 weeks. By that time I was up in the 700s. He put me on insulin and something else right away, and it was not going back down as much as he wanted it too. Since the only new thing I was taking was Chantix, I stopped using it, and when I did, I dropped back down to normal, but kept dropping since he had me on insulin. I stopped taking the meds he gave me and the insulin and I started hovering around 250, 350 2 hours after dinner. After I told him I had stopped the insulin and meds he gave me, because I was bottoming out on them, he did say that was good, and gave me Metformin. 2 Metformin keeps me around 120 to 125, some days around 118 to 120. But the main test, 2 hours after dinner, I'm usually right around 150, but then at bedtime I'm back down to 120 again. Since I read between 120 and 125 most of the time, I don't see why my A1C keeps going up a tad. But the doc said that is normal, and I'm not going up as fast as most other folks do, probably because I don't eat sweets or many carbs.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had to look up my log data because now I'm interested in what the readings actually were. LOL Over a three month period my BG normally sat at 100 +/- 10. The two hour after dinner test averaged 120 +/- 20. The guideline I was to follow stated 70-100 for before meals and <160 after. Apparently during those three months, I was well within bounds. The highest reading was 160 on the day I ate the bagel. My only regret is that I did not keep the data for all the two years I was stabbing my poor little fingers. Those numbers fell into the same range I just mentioned, but I was able to do some trend line analysis and standard deviation calculations showing explicitly what was going on with my blood sugar. My doctor was not too impressed when he saw my numbers. All he cared about was the A1C results.

To be honest I don't know what is normal for most people but I do know 300 is way too high. I also think you did the right thing in response to the high readings, and I further think you proved that Chantix was the villain in your case.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do what I can to make sure my daily BG readings stay low all the time, even after dinner.
So what I don't understand is how my A1C is always rising by about 0.2 every time I have blood drawn and it is tested.
Doc says it has to do with age, and the fact I do have diabetes, which does not get better.
He was happy I'm not going up nearly as fast as the bulk of his other patients with diabetes.
He says that alone proves I'm paying attention to my diet and what I eat.
yogi

Post by yogi »

My newly discovered artificially intelligent search engine seems to have an answer to your query about the A1C going up. The AIC is the amount of glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in a person's red blood cells. That level, however does not change instantaneously. It takes several weeks and months for it to move one way or the other. So, your level is increasing slowly.

The key to understanding that gradual increase is insulin which is the prime regulator of sugar in your blood. And, as you might know the pancreas is what generates the insulin. Diabetics have a problem with generating the proper amount of insulin and thus the need to take supplements or burn up the excess sugar using calories. Exercise, in other words. So, I can intuit from all that old people don't exercise as much as when they were young which in turn would raise the blood sugar all of it's own. Should you have pancreas problems and the insulin isn't generated as it should be, that too can increase the blood sugar.

Back in the days when you were able to do normal things and burn a lot of calories, controlling the blood sugar was not a problem. Now you do less plus the diabetes prevents insulin from being generated in the necessary quantities. My doctor told me that everybody gets diabetes as they age. I guess that would make sense given that eventually all body functions decrease. Of course the foods you eat also play an important part, and you have that much down pat. It's just that the rest of your system is not as efficient as it used to be, thus the increase in A1C test results. My guess for the slow increase instead of the rapid increase your doctor expects is due to the heavy breathing exercises you do daily. It would be interesting to know how many calories that exercise burns up. Apparently enough to keep the A1C under control.

I bet you knew all that already, didn't you.
Last edited by yogi on 25 Dec 2022, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do do my exercises, although I can't do the treadmill anymore, but I do do the stationary bike.

I actually eat very little, and almost next to no carbs at all.

I snuck out long enough to start on today's messages, and they are calling me to come back down to the house already.
yogi

Post by yogi »

You did more than I expected you to do by being here today, Christmas Day. I thank you for that, but really. You should be spending this holiday with your family. I'm here because my closest relative is 330 miles away. :mrgreen:
Last edited by yogi on 26 Dec 2022, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My brother is 600 miles away, my sister is over 1000 miles away.
Debi's blind sister is not doing very well, and was to sick to go out. Her husband was sick also, but came over anyhow while his daughter watched his wife, then when he went home the daughter came over.
That's all there is here. And I came up to the office between their visits.
I do much better up here in my office, and my wife had me stay far away from bro-in-law just in case he was still contagious.
But both my brother and sister came for a visit the week before Christmas!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm pretty sure you have your priorities set correctly. This bulletin board should not even be on the list, but I think you and I are both deriving some pleasure out of each other's company. So, again, I thank you for signing in even on Christmas Day.

We might have been able to drive up to Chicago on Christmas Day, but the party was not going to be well attended. The road conditions between here and there were unpredictable given all the wind and snow blowing around. The last thing I want is to get stranded on an Interstate highway on Christmas Day. So, wife and I decided we would enjoy each other and be happy with that. And, I must say, we were. The kids called and that was all we needed to celebrate.

The oldest daughter lives in Florida but her kids are up in New York. She decided to fly up there to where her husband already had flown. Her flight was the day the storm began, and she got to Nashville where a connecting flight was supposed to take her into New York. Well her connecting flight was delayed several hours which meant she would be boarding about 11 PM. Eventually they all boarded and then the FAA decided they were not going to allow the pilot to fly anymore that day, which means all those passengers spent the night in the Nashville airport. By the time a flight became available the next day it was raining all over the east coast just prior to the predicted big drop in temperatures. It's that mass of sub zero polar air that generated all the snow we re reading about today and my daughter managed to slip in a flight between disasters.

The flight delay all happened with Southwest airlines who claimed that the potable water on their airplanes sitting in the terminal at Nashville airport was frozen. Ice on the skin of the plane I can understand, but frozen potable water??? Apparently Southwest never flies into cold weather on purpose so that they never did anything to prevent that from happening. I've had a ton of experiences with O'Hare International and even a delay or two. But never in all the flights I've taken out of O'Hare have I even heard of frozen water stopping a flight from taking off. Of all the flimsy excuses they could offer to delay a flight, frozen water was the flimsiest.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Glad you had a good time, and sorry your daughter got stranded.
I hope she makes it back home OK.
Yeppers, sounds like one crazy excuse!
yogi

Post by yogi »

Today my previously stranded daughter and her husband had booked a flight back to Florida. It was a flight booked with Southwest Airlines. You know who they are. They are the people who canceled over 5,000 flights in the last 48 hours. Daughter and hubby decided to rent a Nissan and drive back home. Last I heard they were passing through Delaware. I think congress is talking about an investigation into the matter. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My sons wife and two kids too Southwest from Florida direct to St. Louis. It would have went to Chicago had the pilot been only like five or ten minutes behind schedule. The flight right behind them from Florida to St. Louis did have to turn and go to Indiana because Chicago was booked up with planes.
I'm one of those people who, although I like to fly, hate commercial airlines with a passion, mostly because of how I'm treated at the terminals. The planes might be safer than driving, but the terminals are more deadly, hi hi.
So I'll drive if possible!
yogi

Post by yogi »

For me it's a toss up. I despise driving long distances about as much as I despise getting frisked at the airport and sitting in a sardine can for several hours. Although, I must add that TSA is very good to us seniors. We get priority for being frisked and we don't have to take our shoes off. I like jobs that involve a lot of technical detail and even the associated stress can be somewhat of a rush. I would, however, die in my boots if I had to be an air traffic controller. Those guys are insane and can't take drugs to cope with it. Bless their little hearts for doing what they do, but it's got to be the worst job in the entire universe.