Javelin Missiles

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Javelin Missiles

Post by yogi »

https://bigthink.com/the-present/javeli ... a-ukraine/

I normally don't post this kind of stuff here, but the article I'm citing is one of the most interesting explanations of a DARPA developed weapon that I've seen in a long time. I had no idea how sophisticated tanks have become nor any concept of what is needed to take one out. I am guessing you will find the description of the missile and how it works to be as fascinating as I did.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Re: Javelin Missiles

Post by Kellemora »

Yes sir, I'm interested in that kind of stuff, but my memory is poor to tell you about the things I saw today alone.
One is like a high speed machine gun that shoots over 4500 shells per minute. Saw a great video on that and all the different forms it could take in usage. Such as on a ship, on a truck, on a trailer, or stationary mounted.
Plus after that I saw some of the Energy weapons using radio pulses and also laser pulses.
Interesting stuff. I love to watch the videos, but never remember the names of all those things.
I watched a super long 20 minute video on how they set things like the Iron Dome, etc.

Debi's car broke down on the way home from work Monday night.
Battery was fine, it would turn over, just not fire up.
Had it towed to the shop Tuesday morning, and they did a complete tune-up, spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. They saved the rotor and cap to show me, the pins were rusted off on the outside where the plug wires connect, and on the inside they were burned almost to nothing, same with the rotor, a new rotor was a good 1/4 inch longer, hi hi. They were surprised it even ran at all.
Unfortunately, that was not all that was wrong. The fuel pump was shot, very low pressure for fuel injection. And naturally it is an expensive high pressure pump and mounted inside the gas tank.
So, by the time all was said and done, the bill was only a few bucks short of a grand, which is what I expected going in.
It would have been double that at any of the other places around here. I know, got soaked by a few of them before I found this guy.
He only advertises as a muffler shop, but is a full service garage, except for electronics. I mean, he will replace a computer if necessary, or what makes the car go electrically, but beyond that, he won't touch a car with an electrical problem.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think civilization progresses as a result of all the war materials that are invented to conduct combat. DARPA has come out with some fantastic technology and like yourself the names of it all are way too complicated for me to remember. The most memorable part of that Javelin clip is that I learned tanks can have an active layer of armor that intentionally explodes in order to deflect anti-tank weapons that are guided. Apparently the Javelin found a way around that problem.

Judging by your description of the car problems Debi encountered, I too would have to be amazed that it ran at all given the condition of the rotor. Computers have come a long way and can compensate for a lot of malfunctions. That's probably the reason why Debi's car kept going so long. The cost of repairing all this sophistication is outrageous and it's difficult to find a reasonable mechanic. However, as expensive as the repair was, it certainly was a lot cheaper than replacing the entire automobile. What she has now should be working good as new.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

It is amazing the things the governments come up with to kill each other with.

I figure the number of years she's owned the car, it has only cost about 150 bucks a year in maintenance.

My 97 Blazer has not had anything major I had to do to it since I bought it for 1,600 bucks.
Wait, I did by new tires for the Blazer I wrecked, but moved them over to this Blazer.
Debi needs new tires on hers, and right now tire prices are crazy high.

I don't want a new car, don't like any of them, not even the ones that cost 50k and up are like what I like to drive.
I really miss the Muscle Car days, and the low prices for Quality cars.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It was pure luck but we bought our two used cars just before the prices of them started to be higher than the new cars in their class. The amazing part of it all is the trade in value for our old cars. The prices on those were going up too due to demand for used cars. Thus not only did we get relatively cheap new (used) cars but also got premium prices for the trade in. On top of all that the government was handing out free money at the time. We clearly were able to purchase two cars for the price of one. LOL

I have mixed feelings about the technology in new cars. For many years, up to the age where our girls were learning to drive, we only drove stick shift automobiles. That's what the girls got their licenses with. Then wife had an accident that damaged one of her legs. We switched to automatic transmissions at that time and never went back to manual. Modern cars are now more endowed with electronics than they are with metal. My old Plymouths would need a tune up about every 15-20 thousand miles. Cars now can go 100k miles without being tuned. I've even seen some ads for cars guaranteed for 10 years, and I believe the mileage qualifier was over 100k miles. These type of improvements have to do with the high tech engines and control systems under the hood. Safety is also a big deal on the new cars with several having anti collision features built in. I have seen one that will parallel park itself too. So, yes, they may not be your kind of driving machine. They certainly are not muscle cars. But I would argue that they are indeed advanced technology. Nice if you can afford all that kind of thing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

You wouldn't believe how little I had too pay for most of the cars I bought after I started driving.
Now I did start out with a '46 Ford Deluxe I snagged from one of our barns and began fixing it up when I was 14 and 15.
I could drive it around on our property, and dad used it on a couple of fishing trips.
But dad didn't want me using it on dates or things like that, so when I turned 16, he sold his '55 Ford Custom to me for like 150 bucks. I only drove it for about 3 months before it started being unreliable. I took the school bus to my first year in high school because they didn't allow freshmen to drive to school. But then I switched to a public school, and traded the '55 Ford in for a '62 BelAire 6-popper, power glide stuck in 2nd gear. All I had was reverse and 2nd gear. Dad loved that because there was no hot rodding, hi hi. I only paid like 250 bucks for it with the trade. But that was the end of common sense, hi hi.
My next car was dealer demo 1966 Impala with 396 and 4 speed tranny I got for 2,500 bucks. Now we did all kinds of stuff to that car over the next year or so. Bored the engine out to 406, hand a Henrix Ladder Frame installed underneath. Blue printed and balanced at Wise Speed Shop. It already had a posi-track rear end, but we changed that to lower gearing since I was racing over at St. Louis International Speedway, which at that time was only 1/8 mile track.
Next came a 1968 350 Camaro, with aluminum Muncie gearbox with nylon gears, hurst shifter, etc. An even 3 grand with no trade in. I sent the car to Wise after I blew the motor at the track. They put a 1965 327 short block with 4 bolt mains, they got from a dump truck. Then they added 350 Mondello Heads, which were overhead cam type, plus aircraft tubing for hoses, etc. Loved that car! But I found I could not drive it on the street very well, so bought a used '67 Camaro, same color, to tow it to the track.
I didn't mention I was also driving figure 8 races out at Viche Raceway, normally with old used cars I picked up out there and disposed of after the races were over.
But then, I got married in November of 1968, and that put a damper on my racing days, especially after the second child came along. We lost the first child right after birth, so he was number one in our household.
I had a few decent muscle cars after that, plus 3 sports cars all bought new, and then bought my wife a 1974 Dodge Charger because she was working at a Dodge dealership. That car cost 3,500 to buy, and another 5 grand in repairs before it was driveable. I think I talked about that lemon before.
Then came my pride and joy. I bought a 1976 50th Anniversary TransAm with a 455 Hardin Marine Engine, etc.
My wife took it when she split for the last time, and left me the payment book, hi hi.

I don't like a single thing they make today!
yogi

Post by yogi »

That's a lot of detail from a guy who claims to have a bad memory. LOL I've heard of a few of those things you mention but have no idea what they all are or why you would need them exactly. I also can understand why some of the prices you paid were so reasonable. Most of those cars needed work that you were able and willing to do. Your passion for cars was based on performance; you did a lot of racing after all. That would be the reason why you can't wrap your mind around any of the cars being manufactured today. To get what you had back in the muscle car days you would need at least 500 grand and a lot of time to wait for it to be imported. I'm not only talking about muscle. That's the scenario for getting one of those Bentley machines I so desire. Then, too, my dream car would be designed for luxury and not necessarily power. I'm too old to risk my life racing.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now wait, all the cars I bought were technically new, off the showroom floor, at first that is.
You may find this hard to believe, but in 1970, '71, & '72, while I was on the sports car kick.
I bought the Fiat 850 Sport Spyder's for, 850, 1,000, and 1,200 buck respectively. New, with no trade ins.
I didn't know why anyone would buy a VW Beetle when the Fiat's were cheaper and had so many things come with them.
Like dual dash gauges. By dual I don't mean two, I mean they had a gauge with an idiot light included.
The VW came with a speedometer and and a couple of idiot lights.
The Fiat had full instrumentation, including a tach, and several other appointments.
And although they were designed as 2-seaters, a cheap simple modification to the rear top cover allowed four to ride in it.
Plus the added attraction of enjoying going on all the sports car rallies they held back then too.

Today's cars are made as cheaply as possible, and to cover all the hazards of driving them, they add all kinds of computer controls in an attempt to make them slightly less hazardous. But they are still deadly to own and drive.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Well, my hot rod friend, I know from past posts you have made why you consider modern automobile transportation to be lethal. I can't say that I agree with all your assumptions nor do I agree fully with the methods you described to prove your points. I've been driving those hazardous vehicles now for more than six decades. I can't say how many miles I've driven but it's well over a million. Maybe over two million by now. Could even be more. And, I'm still here to argue with you about it. My guess is you are blaming the manufacturing processes of this century instead of questioning the driving skills of those cars' pilots. I can't argue the costs nor the reasons behind them. Safety and pollution figure heavily into the cost formula too. Back in your hey days none of those things were considered important. It ain't that way anymore.

A buddy of mine back in the old days had a Fiat Spyder and then an Alpha Romeo. He was into road rallies and was a performance freak extraordinaire. He took me for a ride in the Alpha, which had a 5-point seat belt system. I thought I was being wired into a seat ejection system of a fighter jet. There were dials and displays I never considered to be necessary for driving a car, but then I wasn't knowledgeable when it came to rallies. He could read how much fuel he was consuming at any given moment and look at the mileage that yielded. The computer in that car surpassed anything I've seen in today's modern cars. Now that I think of it, the Alpha did not have a rear view camera; probably because he never used reverse gear. :lol:

I know of what you speak about performance cars. I lusted in my heart for them, but they were well beyond my means. Now and days comfort is more important than performance. I'd be happy to get around in a rickshaw if we had the weather (and slaves to pull it) for it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I'm sure you recall my telling you about the time I took my daughter to school on a snowy day in my FWD Cadillac.
Although I've not heard from her in over 20 years, my son did talk to her a few times, and she has the money to buy rear wheel drive cars at exorbitant prices. Most of her cars since 2018 have been BMW's and he looked them up to see what they had in them. All of the cars she is still buying are RWD, except for her SUV which is All-Time 4WD.

I rented a larger Fiat from the Fiat dealer while they were doing some beef-up modifications to my Spyder, which included headers, Abarth exhaust system I think the name of it was, and a larger racing carburetor. If you can call a 4-banger a racer hi hi. This was the blue one I had, and it definitely had much more zIp than the first two. I don't really remember what all they did to it, but it sounded great and ran like a top after that. Back then, I put about half the cost of the car into having it upgraded for me, but even so, my total end cost for purchasing the car and having all the other stuff added to it, was still less than 2-grand grand total, and that included fancy wheels and wider tires on the back. None of my other Fiat Spyders could actually burn rubber, but one wheel could spin on wet pavement. The last one I bought had a post-track rear end which was special order also. And probably why the car cost 1,200 bucks instead of 1,050 like the rest were going for, hi hi.

Looking back on it, I sure wasted a lot of money to have the hottest cars in town. But back then it was affordable to do so too.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Wife recently lost the FOB for her 2018 Toyota. This FOB does all the regular things a FOB must do, plus it has a so called key that is laser etched by the manufacturer to match the VIN of the automobile. In other words, only one place in the world can replace that key. The key, however, is not used to start the engine per se. The FOB radiates a signal that allows the car to start when it is near the push button on the control panel. She typically keeps the key in her purse. Also, there are no keyholes on the outside doors. The presence of the FOB and a swipe of the door handle gets you into the car. Should you happen to lose the FOB, and the enabling RF that goes with it, that laser etched key can be used to get you inside and start the engine. As it happens the FOB has a slot for the key to be stored so that when she lost the FOB she lost the emergency key as well. Fortunately I had a backup FOB and key so that she could drive over to the Toyota dealer and get a replacement ... for a mere $375. So, Toyota eliminated the need for conventional keys to open doors and start the engine and replaced it all with electronics. I got to admit this is all very high tech, but the cost of all that technology is beyond reasonable.

I don't think it's necessary to buy a BMW in order to have 4WD, but I do fully understand why someone would prefer that kind of automobile. I'd have one myself if I could afford the insurance and the Missouri personal property tax that goes with those luxury cars. It's all about luxury when you own a BMW. There may be some arguments about being practical too, but by far the reason people buy those imports is ... because they can, and you cannot. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My keyfob will start my 97 Blazer, which is neat in the winter, hi hi.
But my original Blazer had a special key with a chip in it. I had an emergency key that would unlock the doors, but not start the car. Whoever had this Blazer before me, had that taken out so a key does start it just fine. Made getting duplicate keys much cheaper, hi hi.

Both of my Blazers are 4WD, but not all-time 4WD, I don't like all-time 4WD. My younger sister has had two of them, both were different makes of car, and both of them gave her expensive problems.
She didn't like them on ice at all either. So her next car was rearWD with posi-traction. Now she drives a big SUV with 4WD and loves it.

I think my step-daughter chose the BMWs because she could afford it, and because most of those she works with drove them.

PPT in Missouri is a real KILLER. My Blazer was over 600 bucks a year in PPT.
When I moved south, we have no PPT per se, but about my 4th year down here, they came up with a tax called Wheel Tax. It was only 12 dollar per wheel that touched the ground, so a 4-wheel car was 48 bucks a year the first two years, then it dropped to 9 bucks per wheel for two years, then they upped it to 15 bucks per wheel or 60 bucks which it has stayed at for some time now. But the license plates themselves have gone up to from 28 bucks to 38, then 45.
We don't have any city stickers or other taxes on a car though, at least not yet, but it's coming.

If I could afford it, I would buy a Red Mustang Convertible for my wife, they are 50 grand and up.
I drove one and really wouldn't want one for myself, even if I could afford it.
Now, if I could find a 57 Chevy Impala and had the money, and shop that could keep it fixed up, that I would take.
Or perhaps another 76 50th Anniversary TransAm, I really loved that car!
A neighbor a few doors down from me bought a 97 Buick gunboat that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
I haven't talked to him, but another neighbor who talks to everyone said he had a lot of work done to it before bringing it home, and it has a ceramic glaze coating to protect the paint and make it sparkle. Not meaning it has sparkle chips in it.
Other than that, it is supposed to be very close to original, except for some minor things under the hood.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've known a few people who prefer 4WD and each of them complained about the expensive repair bills. I'm not surprised because that kind of transmission is more complex than a standard transmission. I recall paying about $200 for a tune up on my old Plymouths. That's when I decided to learn how to do it myself. I got the tools and the meters and did a fairly decent job. About that time I decided to buy an Acura that was a sales demo. It was manual transmission and I figured it would be in extra good condition given that it was a demo. The price was right, and I bought it. Well, It had fuel injection which I never worked on up to that point. So when it came time for a tune up I took it to the dealer and paid them slightly more than $500. I nearly fainted when they told me the cost. Their explanation was that a tune up for Acuras involves adjusting the valves in addition to all the other stuff. That's what brings up the cost. I see. Well, before it came time for a second tune up, I bought an Audi. They too had fuel injection, but it was manually set. Tune ups for that car were around $300, which made sense since they had to adjust all those fuel injection valves and levers. LOL

Back home near Chicago one of the neighbors had ... a red mustang convertible. They were a young couple and it was supposedly the wife's car. For some reason she took a liking to my mom, and they became good friends. When mom took ill and her future didn't look very promising, she told this gal a ride in that red convertible with the roof down would be something she'd like to do before she dies. It was late October or possibly November, I don't recall, but the ride of mom's lifetime was arranged. It was cold but the roof came down and those two gals went riding around the neighborhood and off to Walmart if I recall correctly. I heard stories about those two waving at young guys walking the neighborhood and them getting all kinds of hoots and hollers. It was an amazing ride I'm sure. Shortly after that event and before mom died that neighbor moved to ... Missouri. They told us the name of the small town and gave us their new address, but it all got lost somewhere. So, who knows? She might be living down the road a piece. But few people around here drive Mustangs and she probably traded it for something else by now.

The Illinois license plate cost $104 per year when I left that state. The local village sold me a sticker for my car to the tune of $18-$20. Down here the license plates are something like $40 for two years. No local stickers are needed. Cheap as the plates are compared to Illinois, I am expecting a whopping big PPT at the end of this year. The new Toyota will be on that bill. My new Saturn won't change much because it is essentially the same car as the old one, but two years younger. Then there is the vehicle inspection fee, which did not exist in Illinois either. The only real savings as far as maintaining an automobile here goes is the price of gasoline. It's way cheaper than what I was paying in Chicago.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I hear ya on all that!

Don't really have anything to add, and my tummy is growling for lunch.
It is after 1 pm already, and I have to go to the drugstore too.

Love your neighbor going around town whooping and hollering, hi hi.