Blackstone buys Ancestry.com

The is the core forum of BFC. It's all about informal and random talk on any topic.
Forum rules
Post a new topic to begin a chat.
Any topic is acceptable, and topic drift is permissible.
yogi

Re: Blackstone buys Ancestry.com

Post by yogi »

I think I have the power in the tower needed to do video editing and animation, but I never took a serious interest in either one. That is the activity in which massive amount of memory and light speed performance becomes a factor. Apparently Intel is coming out with a generation 11 processor that has a video card inside the package. It's supposed to do away with the need for nVidia peripherals. Sounds like my kind of processor. LOL As a side note it also supports USB-D. I didn't realize they were up to the "D" level yet. The sticks I have are still using "C" technology and I can run Linux on a Stick as well as I can Linux on an SSD. You would think there would be a difference in performance, but I don't see it on my laptop. I have no doubt it's due to Linux not being up to par and it just runs at the same speed everywhere.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I've never edited but a couple of video's. But one heck of a lot of scanned images I had to clean up.

I had this awesome image conversion tool from the Windows 98 days. It worked on Windows XP so I kept it alive.
Unfortunately although it worked OK, it could not handle some of the new higher resolution images.
What I liked about it was, I could pick a folder and convert all the images to jpg in order to send them to someone.
Later on, in the latter XP days, with a printer I bought was a GUI conversion tool that handled all the pictures in much the same way but also allowed reducing the size of those over a certain size automatically. It worked great, but checked to make sure you had their printer plugged in, so when that printer died, it no longer worked.

When I first started with Linux I used Ubuntu and found an image conversion tool that did bulk images, and also another tool that looked for face matches that worked really great. Or I should say I was pleased with both.
I know Linux has command line tools to do a lot of things with image conversion. But the ones I tried drove me nuts getting it right. And then by the time I do, I don't need to use it for so long of a time, I forget how to do it by the next time I need to.

Have not found such a conversion program in Linux that is GUI and allows for doing a whole folder of images, from lets say tiff to jpg, other than command line. Those that did have GUI I could not figure out how to do it.
They say ImageMagick does, but none of the versions I have or have seen actually do it.

On USB, I get confused as to which slots are USB2 and USB3 as it is, and now you say they are coming out with even more versions of it.
I had enough trouble when they changed monitors I still had a CGA monitor here because the computer that had CGA still worked. The lightning took care of that so both got tossed.
My old KVM used the Round keyboard and mouse plugs, but none of my computers used that type anymore. Well the Silver Yogi does, but it also had USB which my new KVM switch uses, but is is VGA.
If I ever get a new computer, it will probably mean I have to replace my KVM, monitors, and who knows what else.
Which means none of my equipment will work together anymore.

For the old KVM I did go out and buy the adapters, but they had to be in reverse, to use it. Not round plug to USB but USB to round socket, or something like that, been a while. I finally gave that KVM to a neighbor with old equipment.

I just happened to be up at an Insurance Office on Thursday afternoon. All of their computers were about the size of a cigar box is all. A few were using laptop but they were connected to a keyboard on the keyboard drawer of their desks.
The store owned monitors were all touch screen, and had a keyboard, but no meeces that I could see. If you needed a mouse function you touched the screen to do that. Also to change screens etc.
Looks like my fancy desks with monitor under the desktop and you view them through a glass in the desktop is becoming obsolete. Although it is the most comfortable and ergonomic place to keep them.

Think about the image conversion for me a bit. Maybe there is a program and I've just not found it yet.

Have a great day!
yogi

Post by yogi »

I'm getting antsy now. This 5 year old fantastic tower with Windows 7 (and also Linux) is rapidly becoming obsolete. My original intention was to run it for ten years minimum, which I probably can do. However, I see so many new and improved products out there, I might pull in the schedule a bit. When I do that, perhaps the Silver Yogi can be augmented with ... mmm ... a Black Box Yogi??? LOL

My Windows 98 installation was similar to what you are using today with that monitor under the physical desktop. I bought that cabinet specifically for that feature, but it had quite a few other nice features as well. It had a roll out printer cabinet built in, for example. The CRT monitor under the desktop was amazing at first. Yes, I could sit properly but I had to point my head downward to see the screen. That is not optimal for ergonomics. I was also beginning to feel the effects of old age (25 years ago?) and that monitor was becoming a burden for viewing detail and small fonts. It also was on an angle and not parallel with the top of the desk. All that eventually got to be irritating enough so that I abandoned the cool look and put the CRT on top of the desk where it should be.

I'm now thinking that the old monster desk could be fitted with a flat screen monitor right under the glass section of desktop. While that would bring the coolness factor into this century, my head would still be looking down instead of straight ahead. I'm not into ergonomics as much as you are, but I can foresee a pain in the neck if I did anything like that. I'm pretty sure that when I replace this awesome LCD monitor I'm using currently it will be with one, possibly two, cinema sized screens mounted on the wall in front of me. All that is still in the dream stage, but you never know what an impulsive ol' coot like me will be doing to prevent boredom from taking over.

I get a lot of literature from Coral, the people who sold me the PSP photo editor. They have all kinds of software that I have no intention of buying. They might have the kind of program you're looking for. I'd have to look deep into the manuals for PSP, but I'm fairly sure it can do bulk changes. It has the ability to save files of one type to another type, but I don't recall off hand if that can be automated within the program. I'm guessing there is a way to do it with macros, but then it gets complicated doing it that way. In any case, if I run across something that I think would be of value to you, you will be the first to hear about it.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I would easily consider buying your Black Box Yogi!

I wear tri-focals now. I have the bifocal set for the desktop, the tri-focal for the screen inside, and the main lens for infinity.
At one time I had a pair of bifocals with the bifocal set for the internal screen and the main lens for my two upper monitors. Which meant to do work on top of the desk, I had to either lean back or switch to my regular glasses.
By moving my two upper monitors off my desk and on top of the computers on the other desk, I can see them clearly. So my regular glasses, the way I have them set works out just great, and FWIW, I don't have to tilt my head, because I have the tri-focal part set for only a very slight tilt of the head, which is how I normally sit anyhow.
After all, I am at my keyboard from 8am until after 9pm daily, so everything has to be just right to prevent fatigue.

My old graphics converter will run on Windows XP set to Windows 3.11 emulation mode, but unfortunately image files today are more than 16 bits, so that program is obsolete now. Plus it does not recognize many of the tiff codes.
What I do right now when I need to convert some from tiff to jpg is I open each one individually in GIMP, which shows me several errors which I can fix at the click of a button, then export them a jpg.
I had previously sent someone a few of my hi-res images and they could not open them, but still wanted them in tiff format. So I just opened each with GIMP, click to correct the errors, and save it back to tiff format again, which is not an export but a simple overwrite the existing file. However, I do make a copy of my originals into a separate folder first, so the actual originals are never changed. Most of my viewing programs will open them without showing errors, even all the old PCX files I still have. Although, I have converted most of the PCX files to Tiff eons ago, but you know me, I keep everything, old and new. Which sometimes can be a pain, hi hi.

I did learn the official Image Magick does do batch conversions, just not the version in the Linux repositories.

It's not that I'm scared of command line, I use it quite often. It's just that I forget exactly how to write the command so it works right. Even after I write down on paper exactly what worked right, the next time I read that paper, I don't know what I meant by what I wrote, when at the time it seemed clear as a bell, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I've heard mixed stories about people with bi- and tri- focal lenses. Some love them and others have problems. I've never tried bifocals so that I don't really know how I would adapt to them, but my initial instincts say not to try. I much prefer an full field of vision and that means I need to have more than one pair of glasses. I've been doing it that way since forever and it works fine for me. I have a restriction on my driver's license saying I need glasses. I only wear them to drive and that's because I don't need an additional fine for not following the restriction should I get into trouble. I can see well enough without the lenses. However, things do clear up and look better when I drive after sunset. Reading glasses are only needed when I do too much typing at the keyboard. That generally takes several hours or a bad night's sleep. LOL

I can't say exactly when I'll be upgrading the computer here, but I do want to give you first shot at what I will no longer need. I have some reservations. I don't think it's a good idea to ship this machine via conventional means. I would be willing to deliver it personally to Knoxville. My concern is not the video card because it would be removed if I did send it via carrier. I did learn something from the last time we did this. My concern is for the cooling fan on the processor. It's HUGE. It's got to be something like 4x6x2 inches in dimension which makes it top heavy. I know how it had to be mounted and it probably would not be damaged if they took some care with fragile electronic equipment. But, of course, those kind of signs on the package just alerts them to bang it around that much more. LOL I transported it to Missouri from Chicago via the back seat of the Saturn. It was all packaged in cardboard and shrink wrap, thanks to the movers. But, I refused to let them carry it. They would replace it if they broke it, but I didn't want to be without a computer that long. So, I know the box can survive a day trip in my car. And, besides, I've never been to Knoxville. It would be a mini vacation for my wife an I. There has to be some tourist attraction there aside from your home, right? :mrgreen:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I tried those progressive lenses once and they were horrible. It's like they just buffed out the line making what was a sharp line a larger blurry area. Now they say they don't do it that way anymore, it is gradual from top to bottom of the lens.
I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old, after they discovered I had astigmatism and a warped lens in one eye, which later turned out to be both eyes.
I had to wear prismatic lenses for about 5 years, they had to be custom made and cost over 500 bucks per lens and that was way back in the late '50s early '60s. then I was switched to tri-focals during my school years, and finally to single vision from about age 20 to 60. I went from being nearsighted to far sighted during my 60s, and around that time the doc switched me to bifocals, and now tri-focals. I could get by with bi-focals but then I would get headaches.
I have a great eye doctor right now, but the place that makes my eyeglasses hate how he does my prescription.
They said it would be cheaper for them to use standard grinds, but they must go by my crazy script.
But the end result is, I can see perfectly at my desired distances, so I'm happy.
I pay roughly 180 bucks per lens, not counting the frames, so my glasses cost quite a bit.

We have major tourist traps here! Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Dollywood, and of course the Great Smoky Mountains.
It was 530 miles from my house in Creve Coeur, Olive Blvd and I-270, to my home down here in South Knoxville.
I used to drive it every other week when I was dating Debi. I HAD to marry her, that round trip every other week was killing me, and my car, hi hi.
When my son comes to visit, we have a queen size tall blow up bed they stay on in the living room. Due to the tourist traps, motels here are expensive, so we'll be glad to make room for you and the frau.
My cousin comes to visit about once a year, but he always gets a cabin in the mountains close to the tourist traps, hi hi.

The house we live in was built by Debi's mom and dad after the war. It sits on the north face of Rodgers Ridge, a foothill to the Smoky Mountains, but it is now considered a poorer area of town due to its age. All of Debi's relatives lived within the same small area, most in the same subdivision or the subdivision adjoining this one, but most of them are all dead now.
Since I was in the home renovation business, I bought a house for us to renovate, but then when her dad upped and died suddenly, that left me to take care of her mom. I was the only one with experience on handling really sick folks. I eventually bought Debi's sisters share of the estate to make sure the house would stay in the family. I was in the process of renovating this house when I had my two heart attacks, the second one stopped work on it dead cold.

With the virus still going around, I'm not sure how the tourist trap schedules are going. They closed down for a short time, but many places are still open. Dollywood is preparing for the Christmas show which runs for about two or three months each year. They are expensive now too! Doesn't matter, I'm not able to go anymore anyhow.
There are tons of shows, dinner theaters and the like, plus hundreds of attractions to see and do.

https://www.google.com/travel/things-to ... 252F01l1_1
yogi

Post by yogi »

I had some strange condition in my right eye when I was a youngster. For some reason it was standard practice for the parochial school to arrange for an in house eye test for all the students of first or second grade. It was due to that test that I was sent to a regular eye doctor for further analysis. It turns out I had what they called a lazy eye. The pupil of my right eye was not round but oval in shape. This made it lazy and forced the left eye to do most of the work. The doctor gave me a book with special glasses to view the images therein. They were 3-D stereoscopic and in some way were supposed to force the lazy eye to wake up. I even had to wear a patch over my left eye while in class. That made me feel very uncomfortable, plus it didn't seem to do much to improve my vision either. Then, as was normal for kids my age, I came down with measles, mumps, and chicken pox. Fortunately not all at the same time but all during the same school year. The visit to the eye doctor after experiencing those diseases was surprising. He was shocked when he examined my eyes. I'm pretty sure he called his assistant in to take a look and verify what he saw. Apparently that oval shaped pupil fixed itself and became round as it was intended to be by nature. He asked if I had the measles, and of course I did. He claimed it was very rare but it is known that measles can cause a good pupil to change shapes, but he never saw a bad one turn good. LOL I didn't need to wear glasses after that until I became an old curmudgeon and the State of Illinois said I had to.

Thank you for your offer of accommodations should I happen to be in the neighborhood. I can't say when I'd be in a position to visit, but when it looks feasible I'll be in contact with you again. I've not talked it over with my wife and she will certainly have something to say about upgrading the hardware for many hundreds of dollars. LOL But, I'm fairly certain we would feel more comfortable not to bother you with our snoring and other night time habits. I can easily do 400 miles and possible go the whole distance, but the last time we went through Tennessee we stayed in Manchester. That would put us a comfortable distance from home and our destination. I don't know how much of Knoxville we would actually visit but the literature you sent is amazing. There is more to it than I ever expected. Anyway, as the time draws nearer I'll be more prepared to discuss the entire venture. Right now it's just a possible likelihood . :grin:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

Now that you mention it, I think that is what my mom said happened to my eyes, one of the childhood diseases messed them up. I thought it was the Encephalitis, but it could have been the measles. The docs gave me so many brain scans after I had Encephalitis, I though my head was a pin-cushion. They used needle type sensors back then, hi hi.
And Ether when I had my tonsils taken out. Things have come a long way since then!

No hurry! Should you ever build yourself a new computer and want to sell the older one, if I'm still alive and kicking, I'll be glad to have it.
It wasn't until after Debi's mom passed away that we had the time to hit up many of the tourist traps. We did go to Dollywood twice a year while her mom was alive, and Pam (Debi's niece) and I took turns pushing her wheelchair.
My last visit there was a year after my second heart attack, and I ended up having to be taken out by one of their patrol carts to my car, after they gave me a good dose of oxygen and glass of orange juice. Yeppers, I overdid it, hi hi.
About the only places we've gone to since then have been to a few dinner theaters with a show, and to the Clarence Brown theater a few times. Now, just going out to a restaurant wipes me out.
Hey, if you like driving super wind-y roads have you heard of Tail-Of-The-Dragon? That's here too!
Actually Highway 129 - 5 things to know about 'The Tail of the Dragon,' top destination for motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts. DEALS GAP — The Tail of the Dragon, colloquially known as "The Dragon," is a curvy stretch of Highway 129, running through Blount County and into North Carolina.
It has 318 curves in 11 miles - The road is bordered by the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cherokee National Forest with no intersecting roads or driveways to hamper your travel.
FWIW: I've driven it four or five times since I moved here!
And once back in the early 1970s when I was on a six day Sports Car Rally that started in Alton, Illinois, went to Georgia and back again. All of this trip was on back roads, hardly any highway driving at all.
yogi

Post by yogi »

The time I stayed in Manchester, Tennessee, was when we were on our way to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in South Carolina. I'm thinking Manchester is just east of Nashville and from there we headed southeast. If we kept going east from Manchester we may have gone through Knoxville. In any event we did see something they called mountains. I've been to Colorado to see the Rockies, and I have to say there are big hills in Tennessee, but nothing like mountains I've seen out west. LOL One of the more interesting things about Tennessee was the strange location of ramps going off the road. They seemed to go to nowhere and later found out that is exactly what they do. The ramps are for truckers to go up when they have problems stopping during winter snows and ice. I never saw such things in the Rockies, but then they measure the snow in feet out there instead of inches as we do around here. When you plow a truck into three feet of snow it's got to have the stopping power of those Tennessee ramps.

I like the idea of driving the Dragon. My wife would not. LOL She gets panicky when we have to go over a bridge that is more than 100 feet long. 11 miles of curvy mountain road might just push her over the edge. Besides, if I can't do it in a Lambo, what fun could it be?

I definitely will be building a new computer. As I mentioned earlier the new processors I've been reading about certainly sound appealing. Most likely they will do nothing for me because while I am without a doubt a power user, I have nothing on which to use that power. About the only justification would be more RAM than I have now and and a PCIE drive. That would enable me to use virtual machines exclusively. I'd not have to worry about Linux destroying my bootloaders if they all ran in their own virtual machines. But why do I want to run several versions of Linux anyway? I can do it now and only use it as a sandbox for financial transactions. On the other had, I'd love the be the only kid on the block with a 24 core processor in my tower. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

With the mountains, an OTR driver can use up all of his air trying to keep the truck slowed down. With no brakes, they need someplace to run off into, usually the emergency exit leads to a bed of sand which brings the truck to a stop.

The Dragon was a lot more fun in my sports cars than it was in my SUV Blazer, hi hi.

You sound as bad as my neighbor, who by the way looks like he might be moving after paying all that money for the modifications and big equipment he installed. I didn't talk to him directly, but to my new neighbor directly across the street who had a long chat with him. Even with that big AC system he put in, he's having major heat problems. The engineer he has as an installer said he needs at least 9 to 10 foot ceilings. So he's been looking for a vacant store or business out on Chapman highway, and he is considering buying what used to be a bicycle shop which has 12 foot high ceilings in the back warehouse area. All I can say is he must be making money hand over fist with all the things I see him buying. New expensive cars, new truck, and even his three employees all have brand new vehicles.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I think it's very possible your neighbor is a closet millionaire; soon to be billionaire. LOL I don't know for sure what the neighbor is doing but I am confident that the profit margin is enormous. It's much like I envision cable service providers. It takes a few million to buy the initial equipment and set it up. That can easily be paid off in a year. After that it's mostly profit plus you have all this equipment. I think commercial radio stations are the same way. Many are unmanned and all the money from advertising is profit after you buy the transmitter. All you need is a good business plan to show your lenders. Once you convince them you can pay them back in a year you are on your way to being wealthy.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

My first ISP started out with 2 used computers, 10 telephone lines and only 6 cheap modems.
He barely made enough his first year to pay for his connection to the Internet, and his other expenses.
Plus he was doing this from his garage for the first two years.
Once he was up to something like 20 modems and had enough users, he leased a small office space that used to be shoe repair shop, so you know his rent was cheap.
When the 56k modems came out, he had enough money to add over 50 of them, and still kept the 22k modems as well.
After his wife died, I sold off the business and retired at around the age of 50. I didn't move over to the new company because I already had my account with our local computer club, where I also had my bbs and e-mails.
But he went from being poor, barely eking out a living, to becoming fairly rich in only a few short years.

Way back in the 1960''s when I was working at Sverdrup & Parcel, one of my workmates started something that sounded more like a scam than anything else. It is said it was his dad who started it and he just took it over. They were selling home maintenance service contracts, and were careful not to use the word insurance anywhere. I saw their contract once and it talked about pre-paid service calls. It covered electrical outlets and switches (but not the wiring), it covered faucets and toilets (but not plumbing pipes), door locks, hinges, and knobs (but not door frames). They covered a lot of things, and what I put in (parens) was in the fine print of what they did not cover. Such as panel box replacement, etc.
About the only thing that cost them money was having a kitchen or shower faucet replaced, everything else nearly anybody could go fix for them for cheap. I do know they got wealthy from selling their service contracts.
Exactly how they got by with it for so many years is beyond me. I sorta looked into something like that when I owned Handymenders, and I could not find a legal loophole anywhere that allowed it, but then we were up into the 1980s too.

I worked as a disc jockey for KSIM in Sikeston, MO for a while. I was Spring Green and had to wear a chartreuse jacket with 45rpm adapter inserts glued to it, and sparkles. It was embarrassing to me at first, since one of my jobs was going over to the local college to give away records. But the kids would flock to me to get the free records and nobody ever made fun of my dorky outfit, hi hi. Most of my original work, other than being a DJ was to make advertising commercials. They must have liked my voice because many of the commercial requests asked for me to do them.
I don't know what happened with their lease, but they got tossed out of their offices and I had to work under the tower, in the concrete block transmitter room. Hotter than blue blazes in there too.
When they moved and opened up their new offices, they made a big switch to what type of music they played, and that was a sign for me to move on.
I did get a job at KXOK in St. Louis, but all they ever had me do was put records away down in the basement. Plus pick a few as they were requested, but mostly it was just putting away records. Never got one day of air-time while I was there, although they did have me do perhaps five or six low-budget commercials.
The owner of KSIM radio was never rich, most of the time he had trouble coming up with enough money to pay the lease and electric bill. I'm pretty sure someone else with money was backing him all along, hoping it would turn a big profit, and that is who probably caused him to change the music venue, which he hated also. But had to move to what was pulling in the biggest money in the area.
yogi

Post by yogi »

I was encouraged to start up an ISP way back in the old days. Not being business savvy and lacking the $700/mo to tie into the phone company's switch I abandoned the idea. It would have been a server in the basement and a bunch of modems. Then all I had to do is check the balance in my bank account to watch things grow. Well, that was the theory. Apparently there is some truth to it.

Commercial radio stations aren't as profitable as I would make it sound. They are all pretty much automated these days but somebody has to produce those sound tracks and round up a few sponsors. Then you need to convince people to listen to what you are broadcasting. After all that is under control, then the money is fast flowing. Being a DJ for a radio station can be spectacularly exciting. Chicago had a few really outstanding radio DJ's over the years I was growing up there. They were most noted for the crazy stuff they did outside the studio. You had to be part actor to be successful, but Chicago had a lot of opportunities. They also had a lot of competition. Now and days it's podcasting and blogging. Us poor people stick to discussion forums. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I don't know what Inlink paid, or how we were connected to the Internet.
But I do know when our computer club added Internet service, they got a T1 connection and it was only like 99 bucks a month up until we crossed certain amount of usage, then it would nearly double to 189 bucks a month.
Realize, this was 30 or more years ago. I think today the bottom end of a T1 connection is around 200 bucks a month, but it is too slow, so most will go for a Leased T3 line, which I'm sure is expensive.
I also guess many big businesses would be connecting through fiber optics now, and probably through a provider rather than a direct connection to the Internet.
Our computer club limited how many folks could be on-line at the same time by limiting the number of modems they had available. While the ISP kept adding more and more modems as they got new clients.
After I moved south, and my ISP got me a link through a local bank, which somehow connected to them, probably through the Internet from the bank. Banks have a tendency to buy up 1000 phone lines in a block, so they must get some pretty good deals doing it that way.
I don't know if it is still true or not, but one bank bought 10,000 lines, the whole exchange for 555. So if you dialed 555 and any four digits you got time and temp, an ad for the bank, or on rare occasion their loan department, hi hi.
I always figured that bank had something to do with the phone company in one way or another, probably financing their buildings or something.
I do know before everyone started wanting several lines in there home, the phone company would not reuse a phone number until it became necessary. The also used to not use the same exchange in different area codes, but now they do.
Sorta blew the old chart I used to have showing which exchanges were in which area codes, hi hi.

When I first started at KSIM radio, they had 8 employees. 1 licensed technician who I never saw or met until I worked in the transmitter building, 3 DJs, 3 working in sales and always out of the building, and 1 receptionist, plus the owner who rarely left his office, if he came in at all. The receptionist I think had the hardest job of all, she had tons of duties she had to take care of. DJs were considered necessary evils, hi hi.
When I worked at KXOK, they had probably close to 60 employees and some top name DJs. Nearly half of the employees were part of the news teams, a good chunk of the rest were in sales. They did a lot of on-location shows, so an entire DJ station was portable but designed to be taken in and out of the vans in only a couple of pieces. I'm sure the stores that advertised with them, when they wanted to have DJ live at their place of business paid a pretty penny for that to happen. There was a lot to it, besides the remote DJ, there had to be one in the station to connect to the transmitter tower. And this was years before satellite or cell phones, and the Internet. So it was quite complex to get a good signal out over the airwaves. But as I said earlier, my job was just putting away records down in the basement, hi hi.
yogi

Post by yogi »

Going back thirty years or more I recall the super shopping mall near my home having live broadcasts. This was an enclosed mall with a huge hub that literally thousands of people could populate. I guess that was the idea behind the live broadcasts. The mall was located along a strip of road that was an extension of one of the Interstate highways, I-94 I think. Along that strip were a few broadcast transmitters and their towers. I don't think the show inside the mall was connected to any of those close and convenient towers, but I do recall seeing a portable microwave antenna on something like a firetruck ladder. It was pointed in the general direction of downtown Chicago and my guess is that is how the inside show linked to the main studio. Microwaves. It was a good twenty five mile stretch, but there were a few microwave repeaters along the Interstate. I thought they were for police communication only, but maybe there was more to it than I knew about.

I recall the $700 connection fee to the Internet switch, but I don't recall the level of service. It had to be at least T3, but my fuzzy memory is telling me it was a direct wire (optic?) link. The data would move as fast as I could pump it out. Maybe. LOL I can see doing something like that here in O'Fallon where about 300 homes are visible from my back porch. That is, I could do it if I kissed ass with the HOA and perhaps the city zoning board. Running a business out of one's home is a no-no. However, there are a lot of folks "working from home" right here on my block. So I'm guessing a few greenbacks in the right places could get me started with a home brew ISP business. It's too much like work setting it up so that I am not inclined to fight city hall or beg the neighbors for cash. Besides, Spectrum would probably cut off my wife's TV service if I went into competition with them over the Internet. :lol:
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

I do know the truck the stations used for remote broadcasts had a Yagi antenna on a pole they raised up, but it was pointed at the radio stations antenna, not the transmitting tower. The signal from the radio station to the tower was also done using a very large Yagi antenna pointed at the tower. But everything that had anything to do with the transmitted signals was handled by the licensed technician.
Now I had a Restricted Radiotelephone license with Broadcast Endorsement, but that didn't mean I could touch the transmitter. Although in real life, especially when I was working in the block house under the tower, I could switch inputs in and out since I didn't have a full console there in the block house.

It actually depends upon what type of business you are doing from home. The key is, you cannot have customers coming to your house, or many trucks going in and out. Technically, it is illegal for me to manufacturing a product in my home too. Since it is considered a manufacturing and bottling operation. But I've been doing it for over 30 years, 25 years on my current product, and have never got a warning from anyone about it. UPS just backs up my driveway every once in a while to pick up my outbound order, but nobody know if they are delivering or picking up, and most don't even notice a UPS truck anymore anyhow. They come in a residential truck too, most of the time. But back when I was shipping 500 pounds at a time, they often came in a larger truck. When I have bottles delivered, they come in a semi. But they are here only for about 5 to 10 minutes, long enough to get my pallets off the truck and they bring a small pallet jack on wheels to help me roll them up to beside the garage, near the back, since they go into the storage buildings.

My neighbor is moving some of the large equipment out of the second house he bought, but nothing out of the the first house yet. They look like rack cabinets about 6 feet tall, and wrapped with moving blankets. He sure wasn't in that house for very long. I guess that means he found a building. I'm guessing the lower back level of the old bicycle shop. I'll have to do a drive by the next time I'm out and about.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It could have been a yagi antenna array that I was looking at instead of microwave. I don't recall that clearly anymore. Many of the broadcast studios were downtown Chicago, but quite a few were scattered about elsewhere in the metropolitan area. I'm thinking those transmitter shacks along the highway were AM stations; WGN and WBBM come to mind. Most of the good listening was in the FM bands.

When I was a professional astrologer my business was conducted from home. I had clients come to the house, but I wasn't that good to attract a crowd. For all anybody could tell the people visiting me were friends and/or relatives. A buddy of mine runs a doggie scarf manufacturing operation from the basement of his house. He does get UPS deliveries from time to time, but most of the things he ships he takes to the post office himself. That eliminates a lot of deliver trucks coming down his street. I think the ban on businesses running from your home is simply not enforced until somebody complains. Thus the best way to do it is to be on good terms with your neighbors. The HOA here is vicious. I guess certain people cannot live in a community that is not supervised, but I did it for fifty years and always got along with the neighbors. My home was customized in every respect and I got top dollar when I sold it. I don't see the point of an HOA other than it gives people a place to go instead of talking to your neighbors directly. Not too long ago they sent out a list of restrictions. I don't see why anybody would put up with all of that. Business from home were explicitly prohibited. Yes, I often wonder what I'm doing here. LOL
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

In the 1960's almost all of the rock stations were AM, FM was a new era that came in the 1970s.
KSIM, KXOX, KMOX, WIL, etc. were all AM stations. Then we had KSHE-95 as the top FM station for years.
FM more or less took over the music stations, and AM got relegated to talk shows and religious radio stations.

Some of the HOA rules in my dad's subdivision were actually a good thing, but then there were others that made you go WHY, that don't make any sense at all.
We had house painting restrictions where I lived, and I'm sorta glad we did.
Somebody in my uncles subdivision got pissed at their HOA over something, and they did not have painting rules, so he went out and painted his house the most awful shade of purple you ever saw, and painted yellow polka dots all over it, he used bright orange with green stripes on the trim. His house was truly the eyesore of the neighborhood. There was nothing the HOA could do to make him change it either.

My dad's house didn't have a back yard. He bought bought end lots and built his house in the middle. So both his front yard and back yard were facing streets, so was one of the side yards too. He was like inside a big U, hi hi. No privacy, and in his case, no fence was allowed either. HOA only allowed a fence behind your frontage line, and in his case, he had two frontage lines, hi hi.
He was at the bottom of two hills, and being the first house built, it was nothing but mud running down the street until all the houses were built and sold and folks had yards instead of mud. People referred to his house as the house with trees. He had two large Pin Oaks moved from his old house to his new house, and everybody else only had small saplings. Those Pin Oaks took off like wildfire after they were moved and planted too. They were already like 15 to 20 feet tall and full when dad had them moved. So people gave directions to their house by saying look for the house with the big trees, we live next door, or up the street, etc.
yogi

Post by yogi »

It's all personal taste , I know, but I live in a place where every freaking domicile within eyesight is identical. Well, the decor is identical, but some homes are two stories and some are ranches and some are built into the side of a hill. But, every roof has the same identical shingles, the identical siding, the exact duplicate shutters, and you are on the HOA shit list if you don't have white and only white drapes or curtains on your window. There are certain neighbors who would argue vehemently that this is a good thing and keeps the property values stable. They are all idiots and never lived independently where the homes were each as different as the owner's personality. To me seeing the identical plastic boxes for 500 homes is an eyesore. I'd much prefer a polka dot home across the street than all the ticky tacky I currently see. And I have some serious doubts about how much those odd colored homes actually affect the value. The county assessor doesn't give a rat's ass about the color of your home; it has no bearing on the assessed value. As far as buyers go, there are quite a few people like me who don't care how the neighbor decorates his back yard. As long as it's kept up and not infested with raccoons, do your own thing brother.

One of the nice things that appeals to me about this neighborhood is the trees. I literally lived on the edge of a forest up north, but here in O'Fallon all the trees I can see are barely more than saplings. Not a tall tree in sight. The good news with that is the sky. I can actually see it. I never knew how beautiful sunsets and rainbows can be until I moved down here.
Kellemora
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel

Post by Kellemora »

HOA's have gone overboard in some places!
Ours only said no bed-sheets on windows, but you could do any type of decorating inside your home you chose.
As far as the outside, we could do pretty much except change from the existing color without approval from the HOA, but they had numerous colors listed that were pre-approved to use.
I actually got several compliments from our HOA after I redid my house. You may have seen the before and after pictures on my website.
They didn't complain one iota about all of my antenna's, however, they did stop and ask if I was a Ham Radio Operator, which ended any complaints that may have been lodged. They did make a CBer with Stacked Moonrakers take his down, hi hi. But he had many complains for RFI since he was so illegally overpowered. They basically said take 'em down or get a visit from the FCC.
Our HOA didn't really bother us about much, but their rules were fairly simple and for the most part lenient.
I was probably the only house in both subdivisions they controlled with a chain link fence.
Chain link fences were not allowed, but they did make a few exceptions for using the normal chain link. But mine was all aluminum, small weave chain link. Very expensive and it looked nice compared to a regular chain link fence. I did notice several houses did have chain link along their backyard boundary lines if they were not all that visible from the roads.
I really hated having to move from that house!

Yeppers, once everyone's trees grow big, you lose a lot of scenery.
Even here, we used to be able to see the football stadium and fireworks. But now you can't see diddly in any direction.

Well, it looks like my neighbor is not moving out right away, he was just unloading the house he bought because it wasn't working out. He did buy the building that had the bicycle shop because it has a 10 foot high ceiling lower level, and 9 foot high ceiling upper level back, only the front display area was lower in height which he will use as a sales office. However, he will still keep what he has in his house for now. He did say he didn't expect his business to grow like it did. It took him 5 years to outgrow a single room in his old house, and he bought this one to use the whole house, and outgrew it already. This is why he bought the house next door. Also, the bicycle shop building is only a few feet from his fiber optic feed. He got it for a good price, so it is a win win for him all the way around. He also sold off his remote access thing he started. Said it was not able to make enough money to warrant keeping it, not with satellite prices coming down so far and so many folks doing everything on the cell phones now too.
Said he likes our street and don't really plan on moving soon.

There was a computer store I stopped in a few years ago only to learn they only did corporate accounts. But I did find out from the guy across the street, they are who supplies all of his equipment. I figure with all the stuff he's been buying lately, he must be the one keeping them afloat with all the big equipment he's buying. Most companies are using smaller and smaller equipment these days. The little computers mounted to the back of the monitors, hi hi.